It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking : Earthquake Rocks Northern California

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+26 more 
posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Breaking news just coming in of an Earthquake of magnitude 6.0 has hit Northern California 30 miles north-east of San Francisco.

An earthquake with a magnitude of 6.0 has shaken northern California, reports the US Geological Survey. The USGS said it struck at 03:20 local time (1020 GMT) four miles (6km) north-west of American Canyon, at a depth of 6.7 miles.
www.bbc.co.uk...

Sarah McLellan tweeted: "On 6th floor entire building swaying, shaking", while Matt Dyar said: "Major shaker. Stuff off shelfs. Broken glass. No house damage that is obvious."
Another Twitter user said: "I haven't felt one that big since the Northridge quake in the early 90s."

U.S. Geological Survey map of 6.0 earthquake.

A buckled section of California's Highway

Earthquake damage to a building in Napa, California

edit on 24-8-2014 by gortex because: edit to add

+8 more 
posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Yeah, hey! I was just back into bed after having gotten up to use the "facilities", so I was awake for it. The building shook just long enough for me to start to worry about what might happen. I've been here in San Francisco long enough that the first few seconds of a quake aren't too scary... it's the ones that continue to shake that get to me, as there's more chance of damage as the shaking continues.
It got upgraded to 6.1 It may be some time before I can get back to sleep. We were overdue for another good shake; let's hope this was a plate stress reducer for a good long time to come!

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 06:33 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 06:36 AM
link   
my good friend lives in santa monica and i will give him a call in a bit and check that him, his new wife and his dog are okay.

6 is a serious quake, theres no messing around

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Thurisaz

Sorry it upsets you , perhaps there should be just one mega thread for each of the possible subjects.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Pre-shock? Hold on to your pants this could get worse!!

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Also an earth quake in chile

www.usatoday.com...

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   
My wife and I are in down town San Francisco. She woke me up when the quake hit. It scared us a little, but we were at a wedding and reception so we were a little numb to it. But I am glad things are better than they could have been after a 6.0

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 08:03 AM
link   
wrong thread sorry...
edit on 24-8-2014 by Vexatious Vex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I'm looking at your map there, realzing that San Francisco is at the tip of a large peninsula amid cracks and crannies in the earth from past earthquakes. It must be on pretty solid ground.

A 6 or 6.1 is scary but not horrendous, so hopefully this has been a one-shot event and an interesting ride.

edit on 24-8-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Hope it eases the pressure away from a possible BIG one. We know it's coming but small shocks like this could stave it off for a while yet... Lets Hope so anyway.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   
listening to KFBK right now, they're talking about the animals goin HAM right before the quake. Lots of barking
edit on 24-8-2014 by Gwampo because: (no reason given)

any solar flares reported?

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Gwampo

What is HAM, b?

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Salamandy

www.urbandictionary.com...

I use the term all the time describing the 3 dogs running through the door when it's dinner time

sometimes we yell "unleash the hounds!" or, "open the flood gates" or "release the kraken!" and they all just run as fast as they can over to the food bowls spilling water/food everywhere, slingin' it off their floppy lips

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I've only just heard about this from a fb friend over there:

"Good morning,well not so good for California! There was a 6.1 earthquake around 3:30am this morning, Centered around Napa Valley and felt in a widespread area. Extensive damage reports.Mobile homes knocked off their foundation ,people trapped mobile homes and homes on fire, gas mains rupturing and exploding on fire. We are fine,didn't feel a thing. My sis called us around 5:30am to see if we were ok. That's how I found out. Please send up Prayers!! BBIAB Love you all!!"

Sounds quite serious.

Hope everyone is ok, prayers to all.
edit on 24-8-2014 by doobydoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I hope our Cali members are safe!

Let us know..

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Biigs
my good friend lives in santa monica and i will give him a call in a bit and check that him, his new wife and his dog are okay.

6 is a serious quake, theres no messing around

i gave him a call and he says it wasnt bad and that him and his house, his wife and dog are all fine.

+9 more 
posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Hey guys! I love about 8 miles from the epicenter. It woke us up and was really long, or felt like it. Our house felt like tj was going to tip over. Our cats are ok too, thankfully. Everyone is still worried about aftershocks, there's been 2 so far.

Wish us luck! I'll upload pics later.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Salamandy
a reply to: Gwampo

What is HAM, b?

Never heard the term HAM used either, but i'll have a guess...Hairy Arsed Mental. ?

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I just got up a few minutes ago turned on CNN and heard about this quake. I hope and pray all are safe.

In 2001 here in Seattle we had a 6.8 quake; needless to say it was not fun.

To all our ATS members in CA...please let us all know how you are doing.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join