It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Buying a dog, need help.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Thanks guys for the advice. We weren't after a purebred specifically and I will mention going to the shelter to my girlfriend as it appears that is the better option.

I will check out the sites you have mentioned above too thank you

Any dog we get will have plenty of exercise and attention I am particularly keen on training it.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
i had to log in and throw my 2 cents in as well.

i have to reccomend the bull mastif as well. i got a 5 year old female. such a sweet teddy bear. totally quiet. and is left alone in the house 10 hrs a day.

never causes a problem. pretty lazy.lol
very protective of my wife. i dont have to worry about any break ins or my wife being alone.
bull mastiffs are a wonderful choice. they can stay in small homes and dont need alot of exercise.
just dont over feed them.

i realy recommed you research them.

very very good dog.

robert in lousiana

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Silicis n Volvo

We've owned golden retrievers and after our last one passed away we talked about getting a smaller breed. After 4 months my wife and I missed our home without a dog and we settled again on another golden retriever. We just love the personality of the dog because they're so lovable and people oriented. The down side is they shed a lot.

As far as recommendations...Crate your dog at night and when your at work so it learns to "hold it" until you let it outside. When they're a puppy, it helps keeping the crate in your room at night so they know they're not alone.

Keep your puppy occupied with a chew toy from day one. Puppies love to chew so if you give them a good selection of chew toys, they won't become bored and start chewing on your sofa or furniture.

Take your puppy out to do her business every hour at first. Reward her or him with a treat and a pat on the head as soon as they squat or relieve themselves, so they associate doing their business outside is a positive thing to do.

After about 4 - 6 months, you'll probably notice they have caught onto the routine of going outside to do their business and will notify you with a bark, nose nudge or pacing by the door. If you notice they find their chew toys more attractive than household objects, then at that time you will no longer need to crate your dog at night or when you are away.

We also have used a shock/vibration collar to prevent her from digging in the back yard or eating mulch. We've never used the shock setting, just the vibration setting because its effective and not painful like the shock. We've never used the shock setting on her. The vibration setting is just as effective. It also helps to teach her not to lay on the sofa, chairs or prop their paws on the kitchen counter tops.

My wife and I both work during the day, and have never had any problems leaving her home alone. She has her chew toys to keep her occupied until we get home. I would recommend bringing her to a dog training class around 5 or 6 months. It well help you train her from pulling when you bring her for a walk, and they will give you proper techniques on how to train your dog.

Good Luck, the experience we've had owning 3 dogs has proven it makes for a happier home. They become part of the family, and they provide plenty of laughter. They're emotionally beneficial for children because they provide another full-time friend to play with, and also someone else to hug and find comfort. I guarantee you won't regret owning one.

edit on 24-8-2014 by WeRpeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I would adopt one from the pound. Saving a dog, you would have a best friend for the rest of its life. Dogs are not stupid and know they are in danger when they are in a pound. The heartbreaking thing is picking one from the scores locked in cages awaiting their fate.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: rwguessjr

LOL, I had a bull mastiff in my Great Danes obedience class years ago, and he was sooo cute he would lay down in the middle of an exercise, yawn and go to sleep.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
All but one of my dogs has been a rescue. I usually prefer terrier mixes because they are so playful. When the last of our aged companions died in 2013 (one 21 yrs and the other 16 yrs), my husband suggested putting off getting another because he wanted us to be able to travel in our retirement. I lasted 6 months and then the powers that be put a real sweetheart in our lives. The vet thinks she is part whippet and part german short haired, with other odds and ends. We do not walk the dog, we run and it helps keep us active. In retrospect, I should have named her Velcro.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   

One more thing I know will create a huge impact. Invest in a Hoover or Bissel rug cleaner. Puppies will have accidents in the house. We always kept are hoover rug cleaner in the corner just in case of accidents. We just had to plug in the old Hoover and it sucked and shampooed the spot right than and there. It was a life savor!

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Adopt, puppies need time and devotion.

And usually they come fairly well trained.
edit on 24-8-2014 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Please don't buy a dog . They are genetically modified freaks that have little in common with ' real ' canines . Imagine a fox or cayote barking for hours at the neighbor or the TV set ... really a twisted sort of story. Wolf attacks in North America are unheard of ... thousands of dog bites a year. Sick .

Lots of reasons not to , but - I've been depressing enough already - sorry.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I have American bull terriers. They are sweet and loving....HOWEVER, they will destroy the house if left alone too long. Terriers of any kind are more hyper and need more exercise. In your case, I would consider going to a shelter and saving an older, potty trained dog. Older meaning 6-7 years. Too old and they "hold" it all day. Labs are sweet but can suffer separation anxiety and chew things apart quickly. Chihuahuas' are yippy and will bite outsiders that are visiting. Shih tzus are a good size but can be spendy to buy and upkeep. Don't forget that you will be living with the "hair". Some sweet, mid-size, short haired, older dog that's a Heinz 57 is probably a great bet. Go save a life and get a shelter dog.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: rwguessjr

your right about them being lazy. lol

and protective. My Son was joking around and walked down the hallway wearing a hoodie...he was pretending to be a burgular... I was sitting out the back having a smoke and I didn't see what my Son was doing... next minute Zues was jumping up, growling at the sliding door. I turned to look inside and freaked out, cos Zues was hair up going ballistic....as I am shouting out to my Son... "Take your efffing hoodie off" ... Zues was only one jump from breaking in through the glass door!!

Needless to say, I don't worry about our safety with the dogs.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Bazart

um well how can you explain Dingo's or Wolves?

f****n hell... dogs have been with humans from the Neanderthal era.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

you need to have the right cleaning gear...

I have a N350Z convertible (he has never peeed in that car!) and I take my Mr Albert (the Bull Terrier) in the car with the roof down... he sits there in the front seat and I reckon he is as happy as I am.

except when he puts his paw on the button that moves the seat forward. LMAO

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thurisaz
a reply to: CallYourBluff

that is a ignorant response.

I know a Person who owns a dog that has 3 legs and the clever thing sits in his side car (he has a motorbike with a sidecar) and they go out hooning about.

even with 3 legs the dog gets around no problems.

Why did he buy a dog with three legs?

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   

f****n hell... dogs have been with humans from the Neanderthal era.

So has cannibalism mass murder rape slavery and lots of other things . OOGA BOOGA ! I need a dog .

Just think about , that's all . Big commitment and expense, among other reasons .

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   

hahaha funny question....cos he is a Veteran who has a fake foot and so when he saw the dog, it was his... or had to be his. Don't play pool with this guy, he is a bastard cos I was like... "na! you gotta have one foot on the floor to take that shot..."... he says, " ok... and took his bloody foot off and put it on the ground" and took the shot. I didn't know at that time he was missing his foot.

true story.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bazart

So has cannibalism mass murder rape slavery and lots of other things . OOGA BOOGA ! I need a dog .

Just think about , that's all . Big commitment and expense, among other reasons .

wow... I had to quote this cos it is just so outrageous... LMAO

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   

hahaha funny question....cos he is a Veteran who has a fake foot and so when he saw the dog, it was his... or had to be his. Don't play pool with this guy, he is a bastard cos I was like... "na! you gotta have one foot on the floor to take that shot..."... he says, " ok... and took his bloody foot off and put it on the ground" and took the shot. I didn't know at that time he was missing his foot.

true story.

I call foul.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   

yeah LOL so did the whole pub.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   

yeah LOL so did the whole pub.

The pud didn't believe your story either?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join