It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What the hell happened to common sense?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+41 more 
posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Warning, Adult topic and pictures, Proceed only if you are all growed up.

This isn't a rant but rather a plea...

What the hell happened to common sense? *Never mind empathy

We read daily about this conflict or that and see sides drawn in support of this action or that and all the while civilians are caught in the crossfire. I haven't read too many responses or threads discussing the people caught in the middle. Most of the time many here try to justify the killings as being warranted for this reason or that.

Reprisal killings are never justified, whether they happen in the Israeli/Palestinian, Syrian/Rebel, Ukraine/Russian, Vietnam/US, USSR/Afghan, US/Afghan, Iraq part I or II etc conflicts, so on and so forth or not! *If I've left out your favorite pet online gorefest then forgive me, it's early and I haven't had my 4th cup of coffee yet.

So where is common sense when we need facts not opinions/agendas on subject matter? (Whether one side or the other agrees with the findings or not) Selective readings, One side will post verifiable links and information, the other side ignores it and sidesteps the information. We've all seen it on both sides of arguments/debates.

Reprisal killings are never justifiable nor effective militarily. Ever!

It didn't work for the NAZI's, The Soviets, the Vietcong, The US, The French, The UK, The Japanese, The Communist North Koreans ad infinitum throughout history.

They also are not simply collateral damage/pawns either! They're human beings with families, loved ones and close friends. The vast majority probably had dreams of a better life. I cant imagine one civilian enjoying watching their Father, Mother, Brother, Sister, Son or Daughter being blown to bits.

It doesn't matter which side does the killing, It's wrong, it's not justifiable.

I have no issues if grown adults want to blow the piss out of each other, have at it. Leave the Children and non combatants the hell out of it. Mankind is at war alright, not JUST over resources, Greed, Religious intolerance, political ideology, yadda yadda blah blah blah, but more importantly over losing our sensitivity/empathy for the sufferings of our fellow human being.

We must stop the killing or lose the war.

Flame on.
edit on 22-8-2014 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-8-2014 by intrepid because: Offensive pis removed.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I would have appreciated a warning before scrolling down to see those pics.

To answer your question its all about money and, those poor people were the bottom of the food chain.

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   
The simple answer? Common sense is just not that common!

I see it every day and just shake my head.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Well intentioned rant.

However, I don't know how we can be expected to deal with a group such as ISIS doing what they do.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

What the hell happened to common sense*

Emotion. It causes the IQ to drop dramatically.

As for human empathy?

There are too many memes that have displaced the golden rule with alternate rules. Religions, corporations, capitalism, sports, etc. All have rules that determine when you should care about a person and when you shouldn't

On behalf of future generations, thanks for elevating the issues in a calm rational way.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Unfortunately people in power tend to ignore history, but those who don't succeed more than others. It's basic military 101 taken right from an ANCIENT book where pretty much all military leaders read "the art of war" it clearly explains that in order to gain complete control of an area is to win over the civilian population, which means if war is the last resort, it might not even need to escalate to that point, if the peoples of that land don't want you there, you better have a great plan to win them over.

I sort of disagree with you on Afghanistan, Canada and the coalition forces went in there to help the civilians from tyrant political groups, and it worked, the people of Afghanistan praise them for what they did, even helping us out with information to oust the Taliban. Now, the other interests as to why some countries wanted to go in there isn't what I was addressing, people capitalize on war whether we like it or not.

Problem is, the rest of the world only sees war, they don't see progress and freedom of oppression, yes there were civilians killed but it can be 100% pretty.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   

What the hell happened to common sense?

That plain left long ago, its more self absorbed lunatic fringe and cults of personality theses days.

Humans kill over something shiny or a ideological belief. We supposedly elect our leaders on the basses of bettering the nations we live in and to defend us from out side threats. Not to break us. If we are to be better or more civilized than our fore bearer's I don't see it. Kill kill kill or money money money that's it no more no less. I know they are good people around the world that would give the shirt of their back to a stranger in need, but they are getting harder to find just like common sense.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Sense has never been common.

Its a lie we have told ourselves for generations, that "common" sense is anything else than a rare, and unusual trait amongst human beings. It is the least common sense, which oft proves the most useful to mankind, and always has been.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Common sense has a new title, it is now called uncommon sense. WTF

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Your rant is a great point, in that you are exposing and pointing out how many people get caught in the religious/ political swirl of governments and fundamentalist groups, fighting for over power issues in a paradigm that is designed and leads to, everyday people just trying to live out their lives but those power struggles, wars, terrorist attacks, make that impossible. The top or extreme of that pendulum swing of those philosophies of politics and religion, completely devalues human life on an individual level.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Your answer?

A person can be smart, but PEOPLE are stupid.

Gang mentality trumps common sense.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Its a lie we have told ourselves for generations, that "common" sense is anything else than a rare, and unusual trait amongst human beings. It is the least common sense, which oft proves the most useful to mankind, and always has been.

I might decide to have this tattooed on my arse for posterity. Seriously. I have long held the same belief that you described above. I think every generation likes to get in their "Way Back" time machine and paint an entirely different picture of what they think it was compared to what it actually was. Common sense being common would be one of those many differences.

It is rare and it will stay rare. We can catch glimpses of it like nearly extinct animals, fawn over it, and fantasize yet again how it occurred more frequently in a time that truly never existed.

Kudos TrueBrit. You just leveled up.

If I could "applause" you, I would.
edit on 8/22/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I think Earth and TPTB on all sides need an enema.

edit on 22-8-2014 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   

This is the result of groups coming into power that are striving for total power.

Hence, Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan.......and the US Federal Govt.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Slayer

maybe if you weren't very often pro US government in your views

maybe your plea for humanity would have greater credibility

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: hillbilly4rent

I know they are good people around the world that would give the shirt of their back to a stranger in need, but they are getting harder to find just like common sense.

Absolutely, and it's a very sad thing. It's almost as though this decency and humanity is something you're punished for, rather than rewarded. The "taking care of number 1 (yourself) type of philosophy spreads in the undercurrents of living in an insidious way, and the more that philosophy of living is reinforced, the more it also makes it impossible for individuals to live this way….

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: CokeIsNotCool

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69
a reply to: CokeIsNotCool

I've been reading ATS off and on for years, many people do.

my statement still stands

you support humanity AND often you support US government, the two don't mix well

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Great question... l often wonder that myself. Tens of millions have been displaced, countless lives lost. It makes no sense.

To many psychopaths, devoid of emotion, let alone common sense.

Good thread by the way. Hopefully everyone reads this. S&F...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join