It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What the hell happened to common sense?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Who said total power to the Conservatives???

But, would probably be better off then what we have today.

And what does Iceland have to with America???

They are Socialized Progressives with no were near our population, our rights and are not what the majority of Americans want.
Sooooooo

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

As the saying goes, common sense is not all that common any more, and the corollary saying that it should now be classified as a superpower also holds true.

"Reprisal killings" are not just useless, they are counter-productive - they tend to "produce" effects that the killer never hoped for... like more of his OWN getting X-ed out in a counter-reprisal. They perpetuate a cycle where no one wins. I know a bit about these things, as I'm a hillbilly. Think "Hatfields and McCoys" and you'll see where I'm coming from on that. There were still blood feuds and "reprisals" going on when I was in high school, just before I left, they just never reached the level of fame that the Tug Fork feud got.

Civilian and non-combatant deaths are never justified. Sure, they happen, but that doesn't justify them. I personally know folks who will beat themselves senseless all the way to their graves because they killed the wrong people. Folks at ATS glibly mention that as if it were an intentional thing, and as if it happens all the time, as if it were easy for the responsible parties. It ain't. Many of them live with it for the rest of their days, and there's nothing that any misguided peacenik can say or do that will be worse than the movie that plays over and over on the back of their eyelids when they close their eyes.

One of the problems with recent wars is that one side intentionally targets non-combatants. the same thing went on years and years ago, in ancient wars, and the 20th century way of doing battle seems to be an anomaly in the grand scheme of warfare.

Even Saladin, who was MUCH closer to the beginnings of Islam than the current crop of pretenders are, had a certain honor about him in the way he conducted warfare. The argument could be made that Jihadists learned dishonor in war from the Crusaders, and made it their own, although I don't think that would be an especially valid argument - there are dishonorable folks in every war, it's just been allowed to spread beyond the boundaries in the current conflicts, and has been made more "acceptable" in certain, ever widening, circles. Tecumseh once tomahawked one of his own men for torturing an unarmed prisoner - savagery is not always found amongst "savages", nor is it solely possessed by them.

What needs to be done (whether it will be or not remains to be seen) is for the Islamic rank and file to openly and vociferously reject the current out-of-bounds method of warfare practiced in the Middle East, remove the support base from the Jihadists, and then for us to do a bit of "decapitation" of our own - remove the heads of the snakes (like ISIS by taking Gomer out), then remove the next head that pops up, and the next, and the next, until they stop popping up. When it no longer has ground to stand on, nor a head to keep balance with, ISIS and the like will topple like yesterday's dominoes.

Surgery, not dipping the whole body politic in acid.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: BornAgainAlien
If you use "common sense" you see which game is being played regarding ISIS/Syria/Assad (same as has been done many times before)...

How many are actually seeing that ?

How many are thinking they have common sense, but are failing to spot what is really going on, and have been regarding Libia/Syria/Ukraine/Afghanistan/Iraq, etc.

Watch the news, listen to politicians, the military (the ones in charge) and the so called military experts right now, and if you fail to spot what`s going on (and is going to happen), it`s safe to say you don`t have any common sense what so ever.

After reading this post, I may have to modify my response.

Q: "What happened to Common Sense?"

A: It appears that no one can agree on what defines "common sense". It's probably still around, somewhere, but no one can see it because of their own agendas clouding up the view...

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: SonoftheSun

Common sense went out the door when our deep entrusted values did.

Every single country, in their own minds, is right. So wars and genocide, greed and power, crimes against humanity, torture and executions are justified.

Every single religion, in their own minds, is right. So racism, judgemental opinions, religious bias opinions regarding abortions and homosexuality are justified.

Every single rebellious groups, in their own minds, are right. So the killings, pillagings, rapings and beheadings are justified.

I 100% agree with you. We did lose our common sense and as such, have lost our ways.

Ban frontiers. Ban all religions. Ban any monetary system. Ban wars. One planet, one people.

Anything else is just a slow motion train wreck.

Opinions can't be "wrong", as they are only opinion, and everyone is entitled to their own. Actions, perhaps borne of those opinions, perhaps not, are a different matter.

I'd prefer, however, that you don't start erasing borders or "frontiers" any time soon. I have no faith in a nebulous "humanity" being able to determine what's right for me - heck, my own countrymen can't get that right better than half the time! How much less capable of that would an entire alien to me be?

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: nenothtu

originally posted by: BornAgainAlien
If you use "common sense" you see which game is being played regarding ISIS/Syria/Assad (same as has been done many times before)...

How many are actually seeing that ?

How many are thinking they have common sense, but are failing to spot what is really going on, and have been regarding Libia/Syria/Ukraine/Afghanistan/Iraq, etc.

Watch the news, listen to politicians, the military (the ones in charge) and the so called military experts right now, and if you fail to spot what`s going on (and is going to happen), it`s safe to say you don`t have any common sense what so ever.

After reading this post, I may have to modify my response.

Q: "What happened to Common Sense?"

A: It appears that no one can agree on what defines "common sense". It's probably still around, somewhere, but no one can see it because of their own agendas clouding up the view...

It was meant to tickle people in different ways :

1) Make them think if they had it

2) Make them think what it actually is

3) And make them think about what is going on

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Its simply, uncommon

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: nenothtu

Opinions can't be "wrong", as they are only opinion, and everyone is entitled to their own. Actions, perhaps borne of those opinions, perhaps not, are a different matter.

Hi Nenothtu,

I agree and I think that when it comes to "group entities", common sense is labeled under a statement that means "My way or the highway...". As individuals, we do have our opinions, most of the time we do think we are right and once in a while we will admit that we were wrong in thinking in such or such a way. For example, I know that you or I would admit to a mistake and correct our future actions accordingly.

Group entities are different. What I meant to say in my post is that those groups think that they hold the truth, that they are right no matter what they do, whether we, as individuals, see it as right or wrong. Be it religions, governments or extremists.

You are also right in the fact that opening frontiers at this point and time would be catastrophic. To be perfectly honest, I don't think it'll ever happen and why I stated "utopia" in a following post. Wishful thinking..that eventually but clearly not in this lifetime, humankind will understand that we live on the same blue dot, that we share the same red blood and that we could become a peaceful civilization.

As I said, wishful thinking..

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
A big part is being conditioned to be patriotic for your country. When they drill this into your heads, then governments can get away with alot of stuff, because its "for the country" Once we get passed this primitive,tribal way of looking at ourselves, then things will get better.

Sad fact is, we are a long way from that.

That day will come when we meet intelligent life in the universe, or we manage to get out of our solar system. Think there is more chance of us blowing ourselves up

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Common sense is so not common, it should be called Rare Sense.
Most people with power will destroy anything that gets in their way.
And if it has nothing to do with them they don't bother

Like the saying The rich gets richer and the poor gets poorer

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   

On tonight, live from 10PM Eastern time!

Show thread with listening information

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join