It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Formula one, Like father like son.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Not quite..

Jos Verstappen had been succesfull in karting, but his carreer really took a flight when he tested with the dutch team Van Amersfoort Racing in October 1991.
This test was arranged by former F1 driver Huub Rothengatter who had plans to manage young racing talents.
After two tests, the first with a Formula Ford and a month later the second test with a Formula Opel, they were convinced that they had discovered a new talented racing driver.

The next year he drove for Van Amersfoort Racing and won the Benelux championship, in 1993 he won the German F3 championship and he won the the race at Marlboro masters of formula 3 at Zandvoort.
At the end of the racing season he was invited by Arrows for a F1test in Estoril, after this test he became F1 hottest new boy.
In 1994 Jos made his debute in F1 with Benneton, it was planned that in his first year he would be a testdriver and have a racing seat in 1995, but after the Benneton racing driver JJ Lehto had a big accident during a test and was not able to race because of his injuries, Jos was put in the racing seat alongside the first racing driver Michael Schumacher.

So after two years of experience in racing cars,22 year old Jos Vertappen would drive his first F1 race, which often has been seen as a mistake which has haunted him in the rest of his carreer.

In 2005 Jos gave up his carreer as a driver to support his son Max who showed that he had the same racing blood as his father.
Max has been very succesful in carting and winning championship after championship over the years.
2013 was the last year in carting for Max, he won the Euro Series KZ2 and KZ1, the European Championships KZ2 and KZ1, he won the CIK-FIA World Championship and became 3e in the CIK-FIA World Championship KF.

The 16 year old Max Verstappen made his debute in motorsport this year in the Florida Winter Series which is set up by the Ferari Driver Academy as a learning school for unexperienced racing drivers.
This was quite fun, lot's of people tuned in at the start of a race, there was a livestream and livetiming so everyone was able to follow the races and chat with each other during the races.
After the Florida Winter Series Max got a Racing seat in the European Formula 3 Championship with team Van Amersfoort Racing, he won the Masters of Formula 3 in Zandvoort and is currently in second place in the standing of the European Formula 3 Championship behind Esteban Ocon.

Yesterday it was announced that Max Verstappen who is currently 16 years old, will drive in F1 for Scuderia Toro Rosso alongside Daniil Kvyat in 2015.

Verstappen to race for Toro Rosso in 2015

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I can't wait for the summer hiatus to be over so we can get back to this year's Formula 1.

Nico Rosberg, the son of former F1 driver, Keke Rosberg is leading the series (with the help of every dirty trick in the book).

While his teammate, the son of a Grenadian bus driver, is in second, despite being forced to start races from pit lane.

Go Lewis Hamilton!

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Psynic

Agreed, i think Lewis Hamilton is currently the best driver in F1 ^^

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Max "2 the MAX" Verstappen, he must be something given a F1 seat that young and quick in his career. I think he`s better than his dad, but yeah, he has race genes from both his mom and dad. \o/

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: earthling42
a reply to: Psynic

Agreed, i think Lewis Hamilton is currently the best driver in F1 ^^

I think Alonso is the best, but yeah Ferrari, he never should have gone there, they were only good with Jean Todt and Ross Brawn, before that it was the same as now, just not good enough.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: BornAgainAlien

He clearly is performing better than Raikkonen who was being seen a the driver who would beat Alonso this year as a teammate, they know better now.
And although the Ferrari is far behind compared to Merc and Red bull, maybe even Williams, Alonso can never be discounted, also in a bad car he does wonderful things if the circuit suits the car.

Ferrari sure was a great team which has enabled Michael to collect 5 more championship titles, it helps to be racing in the best car of the field.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: earthling42

It sucks F1 isn`t about driving to the limit anymore, with fuel and tyre saving.

I`m still glad I watched the best times in F1, Senna and Prost going at each other, man that was crazy.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: earthling42
a reply to: BornAgainAlien

He clearly is performing better than Raikkonen who was being seen a the driver who would beat Alonso this year as a teammate, they know better now.

Raikkonen has retired from F1, if you ask me.

Going back to Ferrari was strictly a financial decision, he hasn't driven with heart all year. I think he signed a deal to be the number two driver for one last paycheque.

He certainly needed one after getting stiffed by Lotus.

Kimi's done. He won't be back next year.

Long Live Lewis!

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Anyone watching final practice at the moment?

Why is Kimi sitting dead last?

Problems with the car.

Misfire.

So much for a pole position and a chance to win his FIFTH and final Belgian Grand Prix, surpassing even the Great Ayrton Senna.

I wouldn't be surprised if Kimi's car is suffering from the same condition as Lewis' has been for the last few qualis.

-----------------------------------

Looks like Mercedes hasn't dared to throw a wrench into Hamilton's car yet this weekend. Lewis just lapped 6/10 faster than Rosberg.
edit on -05:0053148502014-08-22T07:50:53-05:00 by Psynic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 07:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Psynic

Because his engineers couldn`t understand him ?

I always had to think about mimi muppet when watching Kimi on press conference.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: BornAgainAlien

www.youtube.com...

Hahaha! It's true.

He's been quite an entertaining personality, or lack of, over his career.

(apologies for editing while you were typing, thought I was alone)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 08:04 AM
link   

www.youtube.com...

Hahaha! It's true.

No telling what they are testing atm, but Kimi has a huge gap with Alonso.

Too bad rain forecast is only 30% for Spa-Francorchamps for Sunday, rain races are good fun at Spa.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Kimi has made passing maneuvers at Spa that are among the most memorable in racing.

www.youtube.com...

I'm sure he wants nothing more than make this weekend his swan song.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 08:07 AM
link   

www.youtube.com...

Hahaha! It's true.

Too bad rain forecast is only 30% for Spa-Francorchamps for Sunday, rain races are good fun at Spa.

The forecasters must have got it wrong, we both know it will rain.

Even if Bernie has to make it happen.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Kimi has made passing maneuvers at Spa that are among the most memorable in racing.

www.youtube.com...

Yeah, how about this one :

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Great interview of Toto Wolf, Mercedes team manager, regarding team orders.

It looks like they've supported Lewis' perspective on the Hungarian GP radio communications.

Rosberg has to be ABLE to pass and can't expect Lewis to slow down for him.

He's saying Lewis did not defy team orders as has been the buzz, but that Rosberg's mistake was to complain when Hamilton didn't do everything possible to let him by. Hamilton "Didn't make it difficult" is the opinion of Wolf, so it was all about mistaken expectations and the choice of words over the radio.

I think there'll be a lot more to come between these two.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   

www.youtube.com...

Yeah, how about this one :

www.youtube.com...

That was the one I was actually looking for.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   

It looks like they've supported Lewis' perspective on the Hungarian GP radio communications.

He's saying Lewis did not defy team orders as has been the buzz, but that Rosberg's mistake was to complain when Hamilton didn't do everything possible to let him by. Hamilton "Didn't make it difficult" is the opinion of Wolf, so it was all about mistaken expectations and the choice of words over the radio.

I expected Rosberg to be closer to Hamilton, but I`m ok with not a German winning being from the Netherlands.

Max Verstappen is going to do the last 3 Friday sessions of this season for Toro Rosso.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Max Verstappen is going to do the last 3 Friday sessions of this season for Toro Rosso.

I'm looking forward to seeing his practice times!

Lewis set the fastest time today in Spa; it'll be interesting to see how he compares to a kid who teethed on an XBox.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   

I'm looking forward to seeing his practice times!

Lewis set the fastest time today in Spa; it'll be interesting to see how he compares to a kid who teethed on an XBox.

I`m not expecting too much from him at first, team boss Franz Tost expects him to need 1000 km of F1 car experience to be enough for him to get used to it.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join