It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Because Football Season Is Coming and I'm Getting Thoroughly Stoked ...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I thought it might be fun to post our favorite games, and I know I said football in the title, but it doesn't have to be.

So, post highlights from the most exciting sports contest you were can remember. This is mine. I was there in the south endzone, and it was the last season Texas A&M was in the Big 12. It was probably one of the most exciting college football games I can remember. Truly epic. How often do they go into 4OT?

If I were going to post a basketball game, I'd have to go with the 3OT NCAA tourney game with Xavier.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Never forget watching this live.
Yes rice fumbled, but hey part of the game right?

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Whatever keeps you from rebelling against your oppressors I guess

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I can't comprehend how people can get so fired up over sports games. I am not a big fan of watching sports. I tried watching them all and the only thing that interests me is the halftime commercials of the Superbowl.

I am not normal though, I suppose that is the reason I am more interested in learning than watching others play games.

I kind of like Minkmouse's response.
edit on 18-8-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   

I look upon past games as entertainment only. A lifelong Packers fan as well. But I only concentrate on the current season. BTW, I support the team...not individuals. At my age, I've been through the ups and downs of being a fan.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I can't comprehend how people can get so fired up over sports games. I am not a big fan of watching sports. I tried watching them all and the only thing that interests me is the halftime commercials of the Superbowl.

I am not normal though, I suppose that is the reason I am more interested in learning than watching others play games.

I'm with you, rickymouse. It's just kicking a ball, catching a ball, throwing a ball, hitting a ball. Meh. It's just a damn ball.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Maybe it helps that I was into competitive sports right up through college. I know the rush you get from being in a tight contest as a competitor, so to be in the stands and watch the tight contest as a fan, even when you lose, is still exciting.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Aweseome! He owned that catch and took some shots doing it.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

I respect that, and for the most part I agree. However, there are some things you just tend to remember. Another experience I will never forget is missing seeing any part of the game where we finally beat Nebraska after 30 some years. I was scheduled to work that day, but I was supposed to get off at half-time. We were going to watch the second half at a friends and have the game taped. My relief never showed up, so I listened to the whole thing on a sketchy radio in an empty mall.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   
m.youtube.com...

It was 1988, greatest collegiate single season ever...you cannot pick just one game in a Heisman Campaign, not that season.

Best RB ever, anytime, anywhere.

And that was just his Junior year of College...we all know what he did in the NFL...HOF

edit on 18-8-2014 by Boscov because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I do not understand people worshipping sports or sports athletes. But hey, if it makes you happy then

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Fylgje

There is a big difference between enjoying something and worshipping it.

I enjoy my football and basketball. I was a collegiate athlete myself and appreciate the hard work they put in to perform. I also played basketball in high school and did some intramural and powder puff football to help me gain an understanding of those two sports.

This is my favorite time of year, but I wouldn't say I worship it by any stretch.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Boscov

Good choice.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Every time there is a sports thread, there's a group of people who are better than me, because they don't like sports.
I wish I could stop worshiping these athletes and read more, but I am just so addicted to the shiny lights and smooth voiced announcers.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. It's about appreciation. If you can appreciate the talent it takes to play sports at a high level, you will enjoy sports. If you don't (nerd), you won't enjoy them.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: o0oTOPCATo0o

I find that most people who don't like sports feel that they are superior than those who do. Can some sports fans take it over the top, of course they can, but sometimes it is just all in good fun.

I also find that most people who don't like sports never played as well, so they really have no clue.

I can't stand watching basketball, but I did play it in High School. Fun to play, but boring to watch...but that's just me. I'd rather listen to a baseball game on the radio then go to the game or watch it on TV.

But I do like my football! I'm not rooted in the chair mind you, but with all the replays, you have to work pretty hard to miss anything. (Sometimes I find that aspect annoying)

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: o0oTOPCATo0o

You know who I appreciate? Garbage men. They have a talent. They have to be strong. They have to be coordinated. They have to perform in the elements - all day long. To top it off, they have to smell and handle our stinky, nasty trash. Without them, we'd be lost in our garbage. Where's their audience? Where are their endorsement deals? Where's their multi-million dollar contracts?

I was born and raised in Texas, where football IS worshiped just like God. Maybe seeing that all my life (and being an agnostic) has put me off sports. I don't think I'm above it. I just don't get it.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv
Do you know any garbage men who might be able to come down to Ford Field and try out?
The Lions are looking for some help in the secondary...
They could come and show off some of that talent.
I get what you're saying Kay. Sports stars are not much different than you and I. The big difference is, no one will pay to watch people take trash out. People will pay to see sports. Why? Because it's fun.
Most people who don't enjoy sports, don't get it and that's OK.
The dedication and work it takes to make it to a top tier sports organization (NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB, ect)
MUST be respected, if not appreciated, even if some see it as pointless, mind numbing entertainment.
But what isn't? Books? TV? Hiking? It's all mindless to some, meaningful to others.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   

This was insane and Vick really stepped up.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

Sports are an outlet for plenty of people, especially children who, instead of get stuck in the wrong way of life, learn to play a sport and occupy a their time productively. Sports not only do that, but they teach you respect for you teammates and others you're competing against. To insinuate athletes are not "learning" while playing sports is just ridiculous. You learn valuable life lessons that can't be taught behind a computer screen or in a book. I don't want this to be a long drawn out response, there's much more to it, but for now I'll leave it at that.

Edit to Add: Why are MODS not removing threads in here that have nothing to do with the topic at hand?
edit on 8/19/2014 by OptimusCrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Never forget watching this live.
Yes rice fumbled, but hey part of the game right?

Owens was a beast. I wish him and McNabb/Eagles got along, could have been something great.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join