It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fla. church cancels gay man's funeral

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   

A church in Florida canceled a funeral with less than 24 hours notice after the pastor learned the dead man was gay. The news left Julion Evans' family scrambling to make new arrangements as they grieved.

Evans' mother was too upset to speak on camera to Tampa TV station WFLA. She was standing beside her son's casket when the New Hope Missionary Church called, telling her it would be "blasphemous" to hold her son's funeral there.

Fla. church cancels gay man's funeral

So I wasn't sure what forum to post this in, my apologies if I chose wrongly.

So this family, with less than 24 hours notice, had to make new arrangements to lay their loved one to rest, simply because he lived a lifestyle that didn't fit within the views of the church.

My uncle committed suicide a few years back, and there was no issue with the church when the funeral was held. The pastor was well aware of this fact. Suicide, as far as I am aware, is just as taboo in christianity as homosexuality.

While I will never denounce all christians (or members of any religion for that matter) as 'bad' or 'evil' for the actions of a few of them, I will always question any event that goes against the idea that christianity is about love and acceptance of everyone.

How can this 'man of god' look at himself in the mirror, knowing he put so much grief and strain on this family in a time when all they needed was a little compassion?

I am in no way affiliated with any one religion, but I do know a thing or two about a thing or two.

Romans 2:1

"Therefore you have no excuse, O man, every one of you who judges. For in passing judgment on another you condemn yourself, because you, the judge, practice the very same things."

Who is this MAN to condemn anyone's lifestyle?

When religion brings people together and let's the goodness of man shine through, I will support it 100%. Until religion stops being a source for pain and suffering, as is presented in this article, I will continue on my own path.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: ChaosComplex

These are the types of churches that make Christians look bad!

Hopefully a REAL Christian church will step up and show the "Love of Christ" as they so called preach it.

This is the pastors response:

"I try not to condemn anyone's lifestyle, but I am a man of God and have to stand upon my principles," he said.

I support his right to do so, but I don't support his and his churches hypocrisy!

edit on 9-8-2014 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   

lol, so much for "god loves all his children"

reason 27 why religion is nonsense...

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

yeah, stand upon his principles...

Religion, giving bigots a socially acceptable excuse for their ignorance, for hundreds, if not thousands of years.... just another reason why religion is nonsense...
edit on 8-9-2014 by Daedalus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Damn that is a low. I am not Christian myself, but I thought God loved everyone, right?

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

These are the types of churches that make Christians look bad!

Hopefully a REAL Christian church will step up and show the "Love of Christ" as they so called preach it.

This is the pastors response:

"I try not to condemn anyone's lifestyle, but I am a man of God and have to stand upon my principles," he said.

I support his right to do so, but I don't support his and his churches hypocrisy!

Agreed 100%. That is his right to deny a service based on his beliefs, as this is a church and not a funeral home.

However, I feel it is his duty as a leader to be understanding. There can be no progress without competent leadership, and anything anti-gay (especially posthumously) shows an immeasurable degree of incompetence, in my less than humble opinion.

In life we are vastly different, with limitless ways to live this life.

In death we are all the same.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Daedalus

Religion is not nonsense. It can actually be a very power and positive force in a person's life. Unfortunately, some people take their beliefs to extremes.

+7 more 
posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   

I can only hope that when this pastor dies, he goes to Heaven and is met at the Pearly Gates by RuPaul who says, "Bitch! We got some words for you!"

But I honestly doubt he'll get that far in that direction.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: sheepslayer247

i'm just pointing out the hypocrisy of most religions...

if you need an invisible friend, to make your life complete, and tell you to do the right things in life, then you need help.....

people should do what's right, because it's what's right, not because they're coerced into it with promises of peace, joy, and eternal everlasting life for compliance, and threats of fire, brimstone, and eternal damnation for disobedience...

anyone who lives their life based on this stuff has got more than one screw loose....

i didn't really comment, to get into a religion bashing debate...just pointing out the flaws and B.S. we all know are there, but don't want to confront...
edit on 8-9-2014 by Daedalus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: sheepslayer247
a reply to: Daedalus

Religion is not nonsense. It can actually be a very power and positive force in a person's life. Unfortunately, some people take their beliefs to extremes.

Precisely.

As I said, I will never lump any group under one label as a result of the actions of a few.

I have a lot of family that are deeply religious (christian), the older generation can be a little 'preachy' at times, but it is always in good taste. I enjoy hearing differing views on a situation, and my grandparents can come up with a bible verse for just about everything. In all honesty, there have been quite a few times when they busted out a bible verse and it completely blew my mind how perfectly it fit in with the struggle I was facing.

But they would never, ever tear someone down for their lifestyle choices. They're the type that would try to 'talk some sense' into Charles Manson if given the chance. A living example of how powerfully positive religion can be. They also have a son who is gay, never once did they attempt to disown him or belittle the way his mind works.

Human is human, end of story.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Wonder if they would have stood on their principles if they'd found that the deceased had ever:
1. Lied
2. Coveted his neighbor's stuff
3. Voted for Obama ...
4. Gossiped
5. Taken the name of the "Lord thy God" in vain
...etc...
One principle, though -
If I was going to be selective about which principle/s to stand on...and brave whatever storms might ensue as a result - I don't think sexual inclination/declination would be anywhere in the running for prudence.
Maybe - "Politician"...
That might be worth it...

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: WanDash

3. Voted for Obama ...

why did that need to be in your list of sins?
You seem to be listing the ten commandments, can't see where voting for obama fits in there.
I agree with everything you said but #3

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Why don't they have a questionnaire for the relatives to fill out, to make sure the deceased hasn't committed any "sins" before they agree to perform the service.
Absolutely ridiculous.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Daedalus
a reply to: sheepslayer247

i'm just pointing out the hypocrisy of most religions...

if you need an invisible friend, to make your life complete, and tell you to do the right things in life, then you need help.....

people should do what's right, because it's what's right, not because they're coerced into it with promises of peace, joy, and eternal everlasting life for compliance, and threats of fire, brimstone, and eternal damnation for disobedience...

anyone who lives their life based on this stuff has got more than one screw loose....

i didn't really comment, to get into a religion bashing debate...just pointing out the flaws and B.S. we all know are there, but don't want to confront...

As an agnostic, I can understand where you are coming from. But religion is not just a belief in an imaginary being that shows them the right things to do. It's about believing in a ultimate "good" that gives a person positive direction and fulfillment in this crazy world we live in.

I respect people of true faith, as they are charitable, loving and forgiving. This preacher is not one of those people. His interpretations of the religion have blinded him from seeing it's true message.
edit on 8/9/2014 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   

If a contract was signed, you can expect a pretty big lawsuit.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   

I've known many different types of religious people over my short time on this earth and I have found that a true Christian may not believe in your personal choices or lifestyle, but they would go to the ends of the earth to help you and would never do something like this preacher.

This guy has his own prejudices and is using his faith to justify it.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
..."3. Voted for Obama ..."

why did that need to be in your list of sins?
You seem to be listing the ten commandments, can't see where voting for obama fits in there.
I agree with everything you said but #3

Awww, man - you caught me!
Some "sins" in some "churches" are pertinent only to a specific time/era/locale.
Evangelicals (I am assuming this church would fit, at least, loosely into that category) are notoriously against the policies and agenda most often promoted by the Democrat party.
I could have made the list much longer...for a better sampling.
Sorry I missed.
Otherwise - thanks!

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Would he have wanted to be buried by this preacher in the first place? According to the article, he didn't attend this church, his family did. Were there no funeral homes in the area?

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: WanDash

Ahhh ok I see where you were going with that then. In that case I'm bummed I missed it

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75
Would he have wanted to be buried by this preacher in the first place? According to the article, he didn't attend this church, his family did. Were there no funeral homes in the area?

Good questions.

This story comes from in or around Tampa, FL. If you're not familiar with the area, it is one of the bigger cities in Florida. This may sound slightly twisted, but Florida has a high population of retirees and older folks, so funeral homes aren't a rarity in any neck of the woods. "Funeral homes Tampa" in a Google search comes back with a ton of options.

My only thoughts would be that the family felt more comfortable having the funeral in the church they attend, it may feel more like 'home' to them than a funeral home. Churches can have a family dynamic all their own, something that a funeral home is unlikely to offer.
edit on 8/9/2014 by ChaosComplex because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join