It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious Lake Appears in Tunisian Desert

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   
According to locals, a lake has just appeared out of nowhere in the Tunisian Desert. Here's a piece from the Guardian about this mystery.

The lake appeared in the Tunisian desert like a mirage; one minute there was nothing but scorching sand, the next a large expanse of turquoise water.

For locals, roasting in the 40C heat, the temptation to cool off in the inviting water quickly overcame any fears about the mysterious pool.

Hundreds flocked to what quickly became known as the Lac de Gafsa or Gafsa beach to splash, paddle, dive, and fling themselves from rocks into the lake, ignoring warnings that the water could be contaminated with carcinogenic chemicals, riddled with disease or possibly radioactive. Even after the water turned a murky green, they arrived in droves, undeterred.

"Some say it is a miracle, while others are calling it a curse," Lakhdar Souid, a Tunisian journalist, told France 24 television.

www.theguardian.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">Link to source

Huffington Post Article

Shepherds discovered the lake, thought to be up to 18 meters deep and covering one hectare, three weeks ago. Local geologists suspect seismic activity may have ruptured the rock above the water table sending the liquid to the surface. In the first few days, the water was crystal clear; a turquoise blue. Now it's green and full of algae, which means it's not being replenished.

Is this related to the holes appearing in Siberia possibly?

edit on 4-8-2014 by FearYourMind because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   
My first thought was those Siberian holes too ...

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: FearYourMind

Just appeared did it. Anybody else's BS alarm going off?

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: EA006

The plant life around about it sure grew in a hurry.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: EA006

Not really, one of the current theories about this is that the land collapsed to a level just below the ground water line. Its one of the reasons why they want to test the water to make sure no contaminates leeched into the water. No B.S., just untested theories right now.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

The article states that shepherds discovered it three weeks ago. It's out in the middle of nowhere so it could have been there for months.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Scientist suspect seismic activity, but I checked all the way back to August and there was one small earthquake in the region, but nothing significant.

Latest Earthquakes in Africa

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: FearYourMind

The article states that shepherds discovered it three weeks ago. It's out in the middle of nowhere so it could have been there for months.

That's a lot of people playing in it for it to be in the middle of nowhere.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

There are multiple sources reporting on it. They have investigators on the scene who have already confirmed this along with officials in Gafsa's. Gafsa's public safety office has warned people not to swim in the "new found" lake. Times of India, Huffington Post, The Guardian, Arab News, and others are reporting on it.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Where I am from we call that a pond...oh well.

Anyway all it needs now are some birds to deposit some fish eggs and it will be a great refreshment spot in the middle of nowhere.

I am glad they are testing the water for contaminants but it looks fairly healthy. Looks can be deceiving though I do know that.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Even with all of the investigations going on and claims that they're inspecting the water, if one looks at the plant life around it--even if the lake has been there for months--it appears as if it's some sort of small oasis prior to the lake showing up, or at least had ground water relatively close to the surface.

I doubt the "mystery" will be all that mysterious after it's given some scientific thought for a while.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Here is the Lac de Gafsa Facebook Page with many pics.

Just a quick look at Gafsa town on Google maps makes it clear that the town is located on a "wet spot" in the desert with a lot of green agriculture. Also look at other nearby towns like Naftah, Tozeur and Daqas that have similar "green spots" in the desert. So there should be a simple geological explanation.
edit on 4-8-2014 by egoli because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-8-2014 by egoli because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

originally posted by: FearYourMind

That's a lot of people playing in it for it to be in the middle of nowhere.

Says that it's 25 km from the city. In a desert that's a good distance. The man who discovered it says he was driving around for hours before discovering it. Now people are flocking from the city to the site to swim. It's a 50 foot deep hole and they suspect a tremor caused the ground to cave in and then water gushed from a crack.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   

wow. Mysterious. Interesting. Definitely makes me think of Siberia and sinkholes too. Like, the earth sucks things in and pushes stuff back out too. Is there a science that studies this phenomenon? Is it recognized?

...Might such planetary "breathing" explain the disappearance of past advanced civilizations and the evidence of their existence?

Great find. F&S&

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I know if I stumbled across some new body of water the first thing I would do is throw on a bathing suit and grab the kids so we could all go swimming. (rolling my eyes.)

Honestly? Don't those people think the water may be unsafe?

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Looking at the pics, I'd say that water hole was there for a while. There's actually a higher water mark than the current level. I call BS on the whole thing. The vegetation is also growing pretty well for a new hole in the ground.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Well if there was any doubt of a dramatically changing world, let it be laid to rest. I just wonder when this cyclic orchestra will hit its crescendo. Looks beautiful and the pic with the people reminds me of a moth to a flame. Hmmm.

edit on 4-8-2014 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bilk22

Looking at the pics, I'd say that water hole was there for a while. There's actually a higher water mark than the current level. I call BS on the whole thing. The vegetation is also growing pretty well for a new hole in the ground.

You know, I had a similar thought however I quickly veered into:

What if an old (very old) spring broke open and refilled a once ancient lake?
edit on 4-8-2014 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Whoa. Fracking? I kid. Sort of.

They probably formed the way pring fed lakes have always formed? The climate is changing. The earth is ever changing. And don't forget the predictions that Africa will soon be the most green and moist and fertile continent. Maybe this is the start of it.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   
HA!!!
I almost posted about this yesterday, but got sidetracked.

What got my attention to this phenomena, known as Gafsa Beach, is that it appears the water is sickening some people...and phosphorus may be the cause.
www.examiner.com...

"In the first few days, the water was crystal clear; a turquoise blue. Now it's green and full of algae, which means it's not being replenished," Mehdi Bilel told reporters. He was among the first to visit the new lake.]

"This region is overflowing with large deposits of phosphate, which can leave behind radioactive residue so there is a real risk that the water is contaminated and carcinogenic. There's no security of any kind.

"The site is certainly stunning and there are many large rocks perfect for diving, but it has become infested with green algae, meaning the water is stagnant and conducive to diseases."

You may recall that Toledo, Ohio recently had a drinking water ban, due to an algae bloom related to phosphorus in the water.
So, it seems this "dead" water may have similar health concerns.

edit on Mon Aug 4 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join