It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hey y’all, what’s wrong with a drawl?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: hillbilly4rent

Hey y’all, what’s wrong with a drawl?

I don't know, but Yankee's get on my nerve.

Can't say that I'm a big fan of them either, and I guess I could be considered one. They're a racist bunch in my opinion.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   
The only problem I have with a drawl is when I am in a hurry and need to get information from someone with a really deep deep one. It can take an amazing amount of time to say "down the hall, second door on the right" !

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Montana
The only problem I have with a drawl is when I am in a hurry and need to get information from someone with a really deep deep one. It can take an amazing amount of time to say "down the hall, second door on the right" !

Wahl....it'sa gud thang youns' not be ahn tha rahd then lookin' fer tha next gas station, eh?

That thar is 'bout a middlin' distance down the rahd. Take a raght at the 'ol oak tree, unteel ya come to a elm tree. Now that tree is not on the corner mind you, but rather set a back a bit. So you be shore to pay attention. At the elm, ya take anuther rahgt and mossie across the holler fer a coupla miles.

Tha gas station will be on yer left whens ya come to a T intersection.

But I don't think Clems open at this here hour.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I was born and raised in Florida, which is sort of the south. Sure, it's in the south, but the place is lousy with New Yorkers, & mid-westerners. I would send every single one of those New Yorkers packing if it were up to me and set up boarder patrols to keep them from entering the state, but that's besides the point....

Consciously I know that those with a southern accent aren't necessarily all that different. My immediate impression is that they are about as sharp as a marble whenever I hear the drawl rear its ugly head. I cannot stand the accent, it makes me want to spray anger vomit all over any nearby tourists. Is it unfair? Yeah. Is it wrong? Yeah, I try to tell myself otherwise, but one sentence and I'm ready to burn whatever building I'm in to the ground. For some reason, the closely related Texan accent doesn't even make me bat an eye.

I'm sorry guys I know it's wrong, I do, I know it's wrong to prejudge someone based upon their accent. Do what you do, and I'll steer clear of the jibba jabba as much as possible so I don't feel the need to rip my own ear drums out, beat them with a hammer and flush them down the nearest toilet. Somehow I don't treat people with the accent any differently though, at least not that I notice.

For the record, whatever comes out of a southerner's mouth is nothing compared to the linguistic abortion that is the Bostonian accent. Those people forgot that a whole letter exists. "R"s are not welcome there.
edit on 4-8-2014 by Osiris1953 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Osiris1953

At least you know your buttons.

And now that we know as well...

Ken ah push 'em?

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

I suppose, if you must.

I have to keep this in perspective. I'm one of those wacky Florida natives, so regardless of what I think of my accent wielding brothers.. it's still us against the New Yorkers and tourists. So in that sense, I can certainly embrace my southern heritage even if I am a city boy.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   

WHy am I reminded of the old pace picante sauce commercial about them saying NEW YORK CITY!!??

I used to LOVE driving my english teachers nuts. With Hi teacher what chu all doing today? I hope we Ain't got a gol dern test.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Right, how well will this play with those from other countries with an accent? I'd love to see how scared they'd be when a Mexican shows up speaking broken English...

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Wahl....it'sa gud thang youns' not be ahn tha rahd then lookin' fer tha next gas station, eh?

That thar is 'bout a middlin' distance down the rahd. Take a raght at the 'ol oak tree, unteel ya come to a elm tree. Now that tree is not on the corner mind you, but rather set a back a bit. So you be shore to pay attention. At the elm, ya take anuther rahgt and mossie across the holler fer a coupla miles.

Tha gas station will be on yer left whens ya come to a T intersection.

But I don't think Clems open at this here hour.

Yep just over yonder

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

It was Pace Picante Sauce... there were many commercials.

Here's one:

edit on 4-8-2014 by Osiris1953 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Auricom

Right, how well will this play with those from other countries with an accent? I'd love to see how scared they'd be when a Mexican shows up speaking broken English...

That's just usually met with a raised eyebrow and an, "What did you say?".
edit on 4-8-2014 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   

W'all, ah 'ave ta say. Livin' up here in Yankee country, Ohio, I usta think that tha water was tainted. Made 'em crazy.

But afta watchin' twenty odd yahrs of the MSM. Ah's sez y'all have us beat when it comes to crazy. Ah ain't neva goin' to Florida agin'.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

there are more people on government assistance/welfare as well.

How do you figure that? Last time I checked California and New York had hire numbers than most of the southern states put together.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Where I live. Accents are different 10 miles apart. You have people with thick Spanish accents, and they don't even speak Spanish.

Well, it actually sounds half Canadian half Spanish. And on the other side of town it sounds half Surfer and part Canadian/ Spanish. That's the only way I can describe it .
edit on 4-8-2014 by BerenstEiner because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-8-2014 by BerenstEiner because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: hillbilly4rent

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

there are more people on government assistance/welfare as well.

How do you figure that? Last time I checked California and New York had hire numbers than most of the southern states put together.

Oh Gawd!

Higher! Higher!

Not hire....Really dude?!

edit on 4-8-2014 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: BerenstEiner
And on the other side of town it sounds half Surfer and part Canadian/ Spanish. That's the only way I can describe it .

Now that I would love to hear!

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Interesting thread, one I really can relate to as I'm a fairly recent transplant to the south from up north. At first I had a hard time understanding "their accents" but of course it was me with the accent. After almost a year of living in the south I rarely notice anyone's particular southern accent because they are all a little bit different. Georgia accents are different from Louisiana and Alabama, Texas, etc. I met a woman who had the most amazing sultry voice, I think she had a Cajun accent I'm not sure but it was unique.

I'm sure I must have a very boring and bland voice as I speak like those newscasters that read the news every day. I will never judge another by their voice again but to be honest, at first I was a bit of a southern drawl snob. Not anymore! Of course the men of the south are more gentlemanly too, especially towards the ladies. But that's a whole 'nother topic.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   

All I can say is: Express yourself!
www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I'm not American, but we do have a very similar issue here in Brazil. In fact, you can't even work on television if you don't have the "right" accent (which would be a mix of the accents from São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro, the richest cities of the country), unless you work on local channels and away from those two cities.

But yes, prejudice against different accents is very much alive here. If someone speaks like they're from the countryside, people think that the person is naive and only knows "farm stuff". If someone speaks like they're from the north, people think that the person is stupid and poor.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: LukeDAP

I've seen the same thing pretty much throughout the world. It's a sad state of affairs. Just another form of class warfare.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join