It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hey y’all, what’s wrong with a drawl?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Looks like common sense prevailed this time around. If this course to eliminate a natural causation of upbringing isn't profiling, I don't know what is.

www.npr.org...

www.washingtontimes.com...

www.nbcnews.com...

www.foxnews.com...

“Feel confident in a meeting when you need to speak with a more neutral American accent, and be remembered for what you say and not how you say it,” read a notice that was sent to workers.

A neutral American accent? That sounds about as appealing as a fermented soy sandwich with a side of bean curd.

My ex classified anyone with a accent different than hers as a hilljack. Drove me nuts! She would see some one on TV with a Southern accent and immediately blow him/her off as uneducated and backwards.

I would always push her buttons and ask her, "Then why is he/she on TV and worth millions and we only make ends meet?"

Another time we saw a guy come out of a store in some pretty ragtag and well worn clothes. She sneered and declared that he was a DP (Displaced person/Homeless). A couple of days later the same guy pulls up to our Condo in a very nice truck, pulling a long trailer filled with the latest yard care equipment. Another truck pulls up behind him and his employees spill out and began to do their thing. "Hey Honey, that homeless guy is mowing our lawn!" I remarked. (The condo has a association *Ugh*, don't get me started)

He wore the clothes he did because he actually worked with his crews and didn't just sit behind a desk.

Judging at first glance is almost always a losing proposition. Actions speak louder than words.

Maybe I'm lucky and have traveled the world and have learned not to do such. That Guy/Gal who welcomes me with "Hey Y'all!" just might be my next boss.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Good lord, what is wrong with people?

Personally, a fellow with a southern drawl, makes my knees week. I love it when our customers from the south call up here to place an order.

Really makes coming to work worth it.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   
What happened to celebrating what makes us all a little bit different? Appreciating the culture it comes from?

I'm about sick and tired of being treated like a walking gallon of milk in desperate need of homogenization.

We aren't a parade of milk jugs. We don't need to look, smell, taste and act the same in every location across this vast land of ours. The melding of culture is where our strength is greatest. Trying to erase those differences is where we will sadly learn what our fellow Americans learned once before.

When war is in your front yard, all one knows it that it was better not to fight. By then, its a nice afterthought between fights for survival.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Agreed. It's a sign of the diversity that is this country! We should embrace those that are different, in speech, race, sexual orientation, religion and viewpoints! As long as we all live by the same rules, we CAN appreciate the diversity!

This "assimilation" BS in an effort to make us all the same is insane! We are beautifully different!

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I find different kinds of accents which all speak the same language, english, really interesting and its' fun to try to impersonate them sometimes. The American southern accent is one of my favourites and it can sound really good, think courtroom thriller movie with the southern lawyer but it's true it can conjure images of the southern redneck hick in the KKK.
Pommie(big range there), Irish, Sooth Afrricaan, Canadian, Kiwi, Southern US, NY US can all be hilarious.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex
my ex GF had a drawl,I thought it was sexy as heck!

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   
My husband's email converts missed phone calls from voice to text. He has printed out some of the more colorful interpretations of my messages - apparently computers aren't beguiled by a little southern drawl.
Honestly, it has made me very self-conscious of my accent.

But, don't even give me a drink, because then I can't contain the Cajun either.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

I'm all about diversity and coexisting. But I've always found your signature to be ironic. Those symbols will never coexist. It's just not their nature. Especially Islam, and a couple of the others follow a close second. (That's my broad brush view, though I do try to look at people as individuals). I've never liked that slogan because it will never happen.

But that is neither here no there and a different topic.

I have seen many post from urban dwellers here on ATS who belittle rural people all the time. Speak with a southern accent in New York or LA and chances are you will be treated differently. I've practiced English languages most of my life, being a military brat and later making it a career. I can pretty much go anywhere in the English speaking world and be taken for a native. I'm fairly decent with German and Spanish as well. Not good enough to be mistaken for a native, but appreciated for learning the language. When traveling, I even try to dress like the locals. Khakis and a button shirt is the usual fair.

But trying to assimilate some one to something they are not is deplorable to me. On that I'm sure we could agree on. But again on a side note, if you are moving from a non-English speaking country to a English speaking country, you should really learn the language. And the opposite as well.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I love accents, they are what stops us all in the UK sounding like 1950's BBC news presenters - or even the current BBC world service news readers, I don't know anyone who actually speaks like that.
My accent is from South Wales and although I've tempered it a bit during my years living in England (so I didn't have to keep repeating myself) I love the rural Devon accent when I go a mile or so inland from where I am on the SW coast, it is a really friendly sounding lilt to it.

I don't ever judge anyone on their accent, or dialect, just the words they use to convey their message, that's all that matters to me. Although I have struggled to understand some folk from Glasgow quite a few times, and got a little bit annoyed inside sometimes when said Glasgow person is too lazy to even attempt to pronounce words in a way that is closer to the accepted and universal form of English we all know and understand.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   

www.youtube.com...=6

I dont know how to inbed this #, bless your heart if you can

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: judydawg
Here ya go. Too funny! Warning! NSFW!

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: TDawgRex
I'm all about diversity and coexisting. But I've always found your signature to be ironic. Those symbols will never coexist. It's just not their nature. Especially Islam, and a couple of the others follow a close second. (That's my broad brush view, though I do try to look at people as individuals). I've never liked that slogan because it will never happen.

I don't think world peace will ever happen either, but it doesn't make me dislike the idea of striving for it. I know that we COULD coexist if we learned to accept and respect that people are different and don't HAVE to be the same. That's all it would take.

I love accents of all kinds, but I did use your thread to make a point. Coexisting is just your accent ideal (to each their own - live and let live) only on a larger scale.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I'm from the south and have actively retrained my accent so that people wouldn't look at me like I was a redneck idiot. Though when I get tired or angry it comes back full force. I can easily slip back into the drawl and when I do people are amazed at the difference.

This goes with my favorite joke.

Some southern ladies were having a tea and chatting about the gifts and such their husbands had given them.
The first lady shows off a huge diamond ring, the other ladies were green with envy and one simply said "That's Niiice".
The second lady tells them all about the new car that her husband bought her and again the others were green and again the one simply said "That's niiice"
The ladies were confused and asked the one what her husband had given her. She replied "He sent me to finishing school."
The others were shocked and asked why on earth her husband would send her to finishing school.
She replied with a smile "It taught me to say "That's Niice" instead of @#%& You."

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Thank you, there are about 4 of these and I have said everyone of them. LOL but I can turn it off anytime. I remember my mama telling me I wasn't going to talk like a southern hick (she was from Colorado) she failed. When I go up north I have a crowd just wanting to hear me talk, pissed me off.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Thalestris

I'm just the opposite. I actively try to retain my various dialects. Born in California, SSN from Wisconsin, Home of Record is Texas, currently in Ohio, lived in Germany for eight years, the Philippines and Bermuda as a kid, etc, etc. Also did plenty of tours in the ME, though Arabic is a hard language to pick up. I can understand it, but have a hell of time trying to speak it.

My folks are snow birds, with a summer house in Wisconsin and a winter one in Texas. If I've been drinking, I fit right in when in Texas, but my friends all look at me funny up in Wisconsin, saying I have a drawl/twang.

But I love the Germans, if you speak with a drawl, yet speak their language, they will get ya drunk for free just to listen to you and chuckle. (Some could take that either way I guess). Try speaking another language with a southern drawl, it's amusing and the locals usually find it endearing as well.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I'm from the South, and used to live in a major tourist area. When I was in high school and college I worked at various retail stores which inevitably brought me into close contact with tourists.

I actually had one woman, after hearing me talk, ask if I could read, write, and if I wore shoes. All because I have a southern drawl.

I have to laugh at attitudes like that. Just goes to show ignorance doesn't go hand in hand with an accent.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Well, around here most people have what is considered a "neutral" or LA/West Coast (no accent per say).

I have to be honest here and admit -- I've met far more people that seem uneducated with southern accents than smart ones. The education system doesn't perform as well in the south, and there are more people on government assistance/welfare as well.

It is still a stereotype, because I did see a show about a aerospace engineer with a southern accent that did all kinds of neat rocket projects in his back yard. Smart guy...

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   
The woman I am currently spending quality time with has a southern accent as thick as molasses.
I think it's kind of cute.
I am from the south, but I have a fairly neutral accent.
Sometimes when I'm drinking I catch myself speaking with a slight Irish accent for some reason. May be genetic.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   
So now us country folk are supposed to hide our accent and talk like a yuppie? lol They really hate us, don't they?
I encountered racism a lot when I lived in big cities. The second they heard my WV accent they looked down their nose at me. Thanks to Hollywood, country people have been rammed into the ground. They've brainwashed the masses into thinking that if someone has a country accent then they are: stupid, inbred, white trash, ignorant, racist. I've seen it a million times and it has gotten worse.

On PBS years ago there was a documentary about drawls and it was brilliant. I've looked high and low for it and cannot find it. I was going to create a thread here about it. The guy showed how different drawls came to be and it was very interesting. For my accent, he showed how it was mostly Scottish/Irish and how it changed over time to what it is.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Hey y’all, what’s wrong with a drawl?

I don't know, but Yankee's get on my nerve.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join