It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hey y’all, what’s wrong with a drawl?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
My father used to say that if you wanted to hear how the language should be spoken in this country (Canada), listen to the National newscast on the CBC.

John Roberts and the late Peter Jennings...Canadian.

Not sure what y'all oughtta make of that, eh?
edit on 4-8-2014 by JohnnyCanuck because: ...just because!

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck
My father used to say that if you wanted to hear how the language should be spoken in this country (Canada), listen to the National newscast on the CBC.

John Roberts and the late Peter Jennings...Canadian.

Not sure what y'all oughtta make of that.

Ya forgot the...

eh? (Or maybe dontcha know?)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: hillbilly4rent

Oh, hush, sugar. LOL

Bless yer heart.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex
Thanks, eh? She's fixed now.

Truth is, nothing wrong with a southern drawl, nor any regional dialect/accent, which is one of the good things about both of our countries.

Mind you...I met a guy in Labrador and had ZERO idea of what he was saying to me, his accent was so 'tick'. Part of the down-east charm.

edit on 4-8-2014 by JohnnyCanuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Osiris1953
I For some reason, the closely related Texan accent doesn't even make me bat an eye.

Politics aside, Rick Perry's voice makes me melt. Indeed, the Texan accent is a close cousin to the Southern accent, but with a twist.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Montana
The only problem I have with a drawl is when I am in a hurry and need to get information from someone with a really deep deep one. It can take an amazing amount of time to say "down the hall, second door on the right" !

Jes hadda reply a second time. Check this out around tha 2:27 mark and yer dreams will come true.

Gotta luv it when a plan comes tagethar!

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex That was great, I especially liked, "This year I'm only putting up six Christmas trees" so funny. I think what I've learned from southern women is that they are strong and tough as nails and hell hath no fury like a southern woman po'd at her man. They speak their mind, that's for sure.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

Yea, met a guy from Scotland at my ex company party. No one could understand him but me...and to be truthful, I had no idea why! He did speak English after all in my mind.

Needless to say, we tore the place down.
But again, truthfully, I'm amazed his girlfriend and my fiance (Now ex) remained together after that particular brew-ha!

edit on 4-8-2014 by TDawgRex because: It was a good time

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Its all your fault. I had to watch all of them!!

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Oh Gawd!

Higher! Higher!

Not hire....Really dude?!

That was on porpus

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   

One of them sounds EXACTLY like my neighbor.

You know, when I moved from NY to Atlanta, no one understood me. I got the wrong food, the wrong drinks, and they always said, "why bless your heart" or "we'll pray for you." Now when I go back home to NY to visit everyone laughs at me if a y'all pops out (no one is immune!)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofsheba

I've always wanted to link up with a southern gal...the things is, they don't want to link up with me. Maybe because I refuse to change who I am. I've gotta me! That doesn't seem to suit them.

And no...I'm not black(African American or whatever) but I do like Sammy.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity

One of them sounds EXACTLY like my neighbor.

You know, when I moved from NY to Atlanta, no one understood me. I got the wrong food, the wrong drinks, and they always said, "why bless your heart" or "we'll pray for you." Now when I go back home to NY to visit everyone laughs at me if a y'all pops out (no one is immune!)

I love poppin' those phrases out at my step-mom. Drives her nuts.

Yea. I can be mean when I love somebody nonetheless.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex Ha ha...no use in changing who you are. Be you, nothing wrong with that. I'm pretty sure these guys all had cocktails before this set

edit on 4-8-2014 by queenofsheba because: cuz I said so

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofsheba

Good thing they are all passed away otherwise SamSung would probably be suing them. But yea, they did seem a bit trashed. I know they enjoyed their lives and I am as well!
For the most part.

Hopefully, so is everybody else.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex I figure it was from all the cigs and alcohol...they always had a drink and a smoke in hand. How did they do that? Check this vid of Dean....how do you sing a set and smoke at the same time?? And he's so energetic lol...

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
I love accents, they are what stops us all in the UK sounding like 1950's BBC news presenters - or even the current BBC world service news readers, I don't know anyone who actually speaks like that.
My accent is from South Wales and although I've tempered it a bit during my years living in England (so I didn't have to keep repeating myself) I love the rural Devon accent when I go a mile or so inland from where I am on the SW coast, it is a really friendly sounding lilt to it.

I don't ever judge anyone on their accent, or dialect, just the words they use to convey their message, that's all that matters to me. Although I have struggled to understand some folk from Glasgow quite a few times, and got a little bit annoyed inside sometimes when said Glasgow person is too lazy to even attempt to pronounce words in a way that is closer to the accepted and universal form of English we all know and understand.

Funny that a Welshman would say this about Glaswegians, when the Welsh are known to ostentatiously speak their language around the English and other "foreigners", solely out of spite.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   
i thought it was all settled in the 60's with the beverly hillbillies, mayberry, petticoat junction, f-troop and green acres!

i've been/lived all over the US, i still talk like JFK. my dad was called hillbilly by my mothers side.

my wife is chinese and speaks english with a brit accent, my other chinese friends speak excellent english or chinglish like me.

i have a thai friend with the most amazing accent, a mix of southern american, UK and thai.
i had to ask her where the hell she was from, when we first met.

i love accents.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cruithneach

originally posted by: grainofsand
I love accents, they are what stops us all in the UK sounding like 1950's BBC news presenters - or even the current BBC world service news readers, I don't know anyone who actually speaks like that.
My accent is from South Wales and although I've tempered it a bit during my years living in England (so I didn't have to keep repeating myself) I love the rural Devon accent when I go a mile or so inland from where I am on the SW coast, it is a really friendly sounding lilt to it.

I don't ever judge anyone on their accent, or dialect, just the words they use to convey their message, that's all that matters to me. Although I have struggled to understand some folk from Glasgow quite a few times, and got a little bit annoyed inside sometimes when said Glasgow person is too lazy to even attempt to pronounce words in a way that is closer to the accepted and universal form of English we all know and understand.

Funny that a Welshman would say this about Glaswegians, when the Welsh are known to ostentatiously speak their language around the English and other "foreigners", solely out of spite.

I was wondering when some one came along with a grudge. What's got your goat concerning accents? i honestly don't know why people in the UK don't learn a bit a Gaelic when they're young. It is common over there after all. In certain parts anyways. It's not like it's a gang language.

I'm in the US and can understand them....why can't you?
edit on 4-8-2014 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: tsingtao
i thought it was all settled in the 60's with the beverly hillbillies, mayberry, petticoat junction, f-troop and green acres!

i've been/lived all over the US, i still talk like JFK. my dad was called hillbilly by my mothers side.

my wife is chinese and speaks english with a brit accent, my other chinese friends speak excellent english or chinglish like me.

i have a thai friend with the most amazing accent, a mix of southern american, UK and thai.
i had to ask her where the hell she was from, when we first met.

i love accents.

Yea I love it all...and I hope that it will spread. Nothing brings a smile to my face than seeing a pretty Asain girl saying, "But Momma, them thar shoes just ain't in fashion no moe."

Or a Mexican asking for my order in a Mexican restaurant in Germany, in german yet.

To me, that is a great feeling!

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join