It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can We Alert Off Topic Posts?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Sometime in the past, I got the idea that staff has asked us not to alert off topic posts - to leave enforcement to staff and only alert manners violations.

I did a search to try to verify that and came up with a thread "Something needs to be done," which is now closed.

Here are two screenshots, from the OP and the last post:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

That seems to be saying we should alert off topic posts.

What is the policy now?

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Mary Rose

I just woke up and haven't had my coffee. I can't think of any off topic stuff to add to the thread.

OOOh, I guess I am better than I thought, I just did an off topic without even trying.

I thought you could use the alert button if someone's post was completely off topic but if there was some relevance somehow then not to do it. Some people were hitting the alert if the post didn't back up their beliefs even though what they were being told was relevant.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Sounds reasonable.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Mods can't be everywhere all the time. Mods actually rely on members to alert them when people post off-topic comments.

As an example, in this thread, if I had just posted a song about celebrity mucous collections, you'd have to alert the mods, then have my wife adjust my medication.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

Mods can't be everywhere all the time. Mods actually rely on members to alert them when people post off-topic comments.

It makes a lot of sense to me that mods would rely on alerts.

And I think it's important for the members to take the time to do it, and to post specifics in the alert instead of leaving that blank.

I also think it's important to not respond to inappropriate posts and to alert them.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

You may need to have the wifey check that periodically anyway... just in case... hahahaha

the problem here, is that many of us are friends/friendly (cannot be serious ALL the time) and can get into slightly off topic posts without much thinking or trying to.

I don't see how every single post like that should be removed... we get into ridiculousness then. Let the mods decide what is on or off topic.

If you use a source that is questionable, such as Alex Jones, learn to back it up with a more reliable / accepted source. It's just that easy. I for one wont take what the insane say as anything to concern myself with, and I DEFINITELY put Alex Jones into that category, as a matter of fact, if that is the only source used, I wont even read your thread!
edit on 30-7-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I'm not convinced most members have the discernment to decide what is or isn't off topic.

Flagrant off topic post intended to disrupt would be an exception and imho warranted to be reported.

The people with the emotional prowess of a 5th grader should lighten up a bit though. A sense of humor is healthy if not TOO off topic.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mary Rose[/post]

It makes a lot of sense to me that mods would rely on alerts.

And I think it's important for the members to take the time to do it, and to post specifics in the alert instead of leaving that blank.

I also think it's important to not respond to inappropriate posts and to alert them.

Absolutely, positively, correct.

We do rely on the members to help us keep the place ship shape and replying in kind to an off topic or flame bait post just adds to the detritus.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Springer

Does this post express the guideline we all should follow:

originally posted by: rickymouse

. . . use the alert button if someone's post was completely off topic but if there was some relevance somehow then not to do it. Some people were hitting the alert if the post didn't back up their beliefs even though what they were being told was relevant.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   

The guideline I'd recommend is the one we follow when reviewing an alert for off-topic. If it's taking the thread far afield, then it's probably going to be removed. If it's an older post, many subsequent on topic posts have been made and the alerted post had a negligible effect, then we probably won't remove it.

We're a discussion forum, and a certain amount of off topic chatter will naturally ensue. And threads will naturally evolve to encompass a larger scope than perhaps the original post considered. What we try to do is to the best of our ability see to it that threads don't become a victim of either willful or accidental misdirection.

There's no hard and fast surefire way to do that. We do it by a combination of consensus and experience. Not everyone will agree with the action or inaction taken, but we do our best to maximize the smooth flow of civil discourse trying to keep as many as possible interested and engaged.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: yeahright

If we're in doubt, do you prefer that we alert it or not alert it?

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   

I have no personal preference about what someone else does. I know what I'd do. For something as innocuous as off-topic, if I had a doubt I wouldn't bother.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   

I was referring to a doubt about how the mods would consider it. From a member's point of view, we need to know clearly what the guidelines are from staff.

Also, as a mod, do you appreciate having comments in the alert that help to direct your attention to what it is about the post that is inappropriate?

In other words, if the post is a paragraph or two long, and only one sentence constitutes bad manners, to simply quote that sentence?

Or is it more helpful to you for us to just alert the thing and be done with it?

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   

If you're going to submit a post alert, we'd appreciate an explanation of why you're alerting it. Sometimes the truly egregious needs no explanation. But since opinions differ, if you'd take a moment to explain why you're submitting the alert, it'll be taken into further consideration.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: yeahright
But since opinions differ, if you'd take a moment to explain why you're submitting the alert, it'll be taken into further consideration.

Okay I guess it also follows that if we want to be taken seriously with our alerts, it behooves us to take the time to compose a comment that goes right to the point and facilitates understanding of what the problem is. (In our opinion.)

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   

We take all alerts seriously, but for communication's sake it's always a good idea to remove the ambiguity by specifying why the alert was submitted.

Honestly there are occasions where alerts come in and the reaction is a collective >

So someone will PM the alerter and be met with the Wall of Silence which leads us to concur the alert was submitted inadvertently. It happens.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: yeahright
We take all alerts seriously, but for communication's sake it's always a good idea to remove the ambiguity by specifying why the alert was submitted.

I'm glad you brought that up, because it jogs my memory about another thing that has bothered me.

I've seen it said on the Board that mods have a policy of letting members know why their alert has not been acted upon.

However, it has been my experience that that has never happened.

Is it policy, or not?

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   

It is not.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   

That's a clear answer!

Thanks.
edit on 07/30/14 by Mary Rose because: Avoid misunderstanding

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mary Rose
. . . letting members know why their alert has not been acted upon.

When members see that their alert has not been acted upon, they have no way of knowing whether it was overlooked, or whether it was considered and deemed not a violation of terms and conditions.

We don't know whether to continue not responding to the post in question, or whether to go ahead and respond the best we can to get the conversation rolling again, because we know the post is going to stay there as is.

Would it be possible to have an automatically generated U2U go to the person who alerted the post saying something to the effect that your alert has been considered and the staff feels that it is not a violation of the terms and conditions?

In other words, give us some feedback that would only mean a push of a button by staff?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join