It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel bombs UN school and civilian shelter, kills 15 and injures 200

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+22 more 
posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Israel has just bombed a UN school, resulting in the deaths of 15 people and the injuries of 200 others.

As many would know, the UN schools double as civilian shelters in times of crisis, and indeed, this school was being used as such a shelter.

The School had been in contact with the IDF the entire day, and even sent out their exact GPS coordinates. In response? They get bombed.

I am sick of it. There is only so much Israel should be able to get away with. Bombing hospitals, mosques, schools and civilians shelters are not on. I don't give a damn if there are militants or rockets located within the sites, don't go bombing these places where civilians are concentrated in such high numbers. These are war crimes!

At least 15 people have been reported killed and 200 injured in the Israeli shelling of a UN school in northern Gaza that was being used as an emergency shelter.

Al Jazeera's correspondent Nicole Johnston, reporting from Gaza, said the school in Beit Hanoun came under fire on Thursday. She said sources had told Al Jazeera that up to 30 people had been killed in the bombardment.

In an interview with Al Jazeera, Robert Turner, the director for UNRWA, the UN's humanitarian organisation in Gaza, said there was no warning from the Israelis before the shells landed. He confirmed there were casualties.

He said the UNRWA were in contact with Israeli forces about a window to evacuate the school before the attack happened

"This is a designated emergency shelter," he said. "The location was conveyed to the Israelis.

"This is the fourth strike on our installations in three days."

www.aljazeera.com...

edit on 24-7-2014 by daaskapital because: sp

+4 more 
posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Mother F***ers. Can't wait for the justification people to arrive.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital
This is deplorable. Indeed and there really are no excuses. But I do have one question

They site this

"He said the UNRWA were in contact with Israeli forces about a window to evacuate the school before the attack happened "

So did Isreal notify them that they were going to bomb the place and to evacuate? And they refused to do so?

Is it possible they knew Hamas fighters or equipment were there and asked them to evacuate ?

Either way I agree they should not have bombed the target

+6 more 
posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Yep, it's a war crime, and well documented.
We can only hope those responsible will be prosecuted.
Had it been some other state instead of Israel, some 'preemptive' bombing would've already been started. Sadly.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I guess you guys are not alone in wanting Israel destroyed.

Iran just said that the only solution is for Israel to be destroyed.

dailycaller.com...

Maybe Hamas should not be hiding missiles in those places.

edit on 24-7-2014 by Skorpy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I wonder if the casualties were caused by the Israelis ... or secondary explosions of Hamas' rockets.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
a reply to: daaskapital
This is deplorable. Indeed and there really are no excuses. But I do have one question

They site this

"He said the UNRWA were in contact with Israeli forces about a window to evacuate the school before the attack happened "

So did Isreal notify them that they were going to bomb the place and to evacuate? And they refused to do so?

Is it possible they knew Hamas fighters or equipment were there and asked them to evacuate ?

Either way I agree they should not have bombed the target

It seems as if there was no warning:

In an interview with Al Jazeera, Robert Turner, the director for UNRWA, the UN's humanitarian organisation in Gaza, said there was no warning from the Israelis before the shells landed. He confirmed there were casualties.

From the same article.

Also, from what i gathered in watching a report of it on Al Jazeera TV, the party at the school requested Israel to allow them a window of opportunity to evacuate, but were ignored. They were forced to remain at the school as a result, where they were bombed.

People at and involved with the site state the following:

Turner said he had no information that there was military activity around the school.

"This was an installation we were managing, that monitored [to ensure] that our neutrality was maintained.

"We always call on all parties to ensure that civilians are not harmed."

A witness who arrived at the Kamal Adwan hospital after the attack told Al Jazeera: "We were sitting in the school, because we were told it is safe.

"By God, there was not a single fighter, not a single shot was fired from the school. Why did they shoot at the school? Why? Can someone explain that to me? Why would they shell the school?"
edit on 24-7-2014 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Skorpy
And I guess you guys see what you wanted to see.
No one wants 'Israel destroyed', but these kind of actions Israelis are forcing are blatant braking of intl war conventions.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skorpy
I guess you guys are not alone in wanting Israel destroyed.

Iran just said that the only solution is for Israel to be destroyed.

dailycaller.com...

Maybe Hamas should not be hiding missiles in those places.

Who said they wanted Israel destroyed? Israel isn't going anywhere, the regime may but the country is here for good now.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Israel gets slammed by the media, orders no Israeli media persons to report on Gaza then fires shots on Al Jazeera building.
Israel gets slammed in the UN. Israel bombs A UN refugee point which the UN gave them the GPS coordinates for killing more innocent people.
Looks like someone is getting upset when the playing field is being leveled

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: zilebeliveunknown
Yep, it's a war crime, and well documented.

Sadly Israel will get away with it plus the mainstream media will ignore things like this.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   
My guess is this has something to do with the fact that the UN is hiding missiles at these schools as well. I don't think it was targeted to kill civilians. This sounds more like a case of the UN deciding to use the civilian casualties for bad media. If they had missiles at one school, chances are they have them at others.

Source

After finding 20 rockets in a United Nations school last week, a U.N. agency did the only sensible thing it could think of: return them to "local authorities."

It all started last week when the missiles were found in a vacant school belonging to U.N.R.W.A. (The United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees).

Second Source and Second School with Missiles

UNRWA, the UN agency charged with overseeing humanitarian efforts in Gaza, said it immediately “informed the relevant parties and is pursuing all possible measures for the removal of the objects in order to preserve the safety and security of the school.” The organization again pledged to launch a “comprehensive investigation into the circumstances surrounding this incident.”

Israeli officials reacted furiously to the discovery. “How many more schools will have to be abused by Hamas missile squads before the international community will intervene,” Foreign Ministry spokesperson Yigal Palmor told The Times of Israel. “How many times can it turn its head the other way and pretend that it just doesn’t see?”

So you think the UN didn't actually know there were 20 rockets being housed at this school or that a second school had rockets as well? Kinda hard to overlook something like that I would think.
edit on 7/24/14 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Is it a war crime to hide/shelter missiles in schools, hospitals, mosques?

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Would this be the same school UN run school that Hamas Rockets where store in (reported in the news last week)?

Look they death toll of Non Combatants is never a good thing. However Hamas like to use human shields and will tell its people its OK to enter an area even if the Israelis have announced they are going to bomb it.

And the question has to be asked was Hamas firing rockets or conducting any Military related Activity in and around the School? If so its a legit target.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Israel knew this was a UN refugee point, they were given the GPS coordinates and were in communications with the UN workers on the day and bombed it anyway

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: PLAYERONE01
Israel knew this was a UN refugee point, they were given the GPS coordinates and were in communications with the UN workers on the day and bombed it anyway

They also knew it housed Hamas missiles. Neither side is right on this issue but I would condemn the UN for allowing the missiles to be housed in schools. To believe that they had no idea these missiles were being kept at these schools is ridiculous. Are there no actual UN officials at them to make sure things like this don't happen, or is the UN working with Hamas to allow them to do just that?

It has been reported that the UN handed the missiles over to Hamas controlled police forces as well. I would put a lot of the blame for this on the UN too. Israel should not have fired on a school and the UN should not have allowed missiles to be stored there.
edit on 7/24/14 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

No beezzer it's only a crime when the evil Israelis do it.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

Yes, but there is no evidence suggesting that this school was in possession of missiles. Further yet, the IDF failed to provide a response when the UN called for an evacuation of the school. The point still stands that Israel bombed a civilian shelter of which witnesses stated had no fighters or military equipment.

I deplore the act of storing missiles in public areas, but i further deplore the act of causing the mass deaths of civilians in the bombings of crowded areas, all due to the fact that a site may or may not have bombs in it.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Honestly the thing I keep thinking of is the NIV translation of Zechariah 12:2 I read the other day. “I am going to make Jerusalem a cup that sends all the surrounding peoples reeling. Judah will be besieged as well as Jerusalem. " To me 'reeling' is a perfect description of the reaction being evoked by Israel's current actions.

If this is apropos to the current situation it results in the dire warning found in Zechariah 12:3 "On that day, when all the nations of the earth are gathered against her, I will make Jerusalem an immovable rock for all the nations. All who try to move it will injure themselves."

It could in fact lead to destruction of Gaza and Ashkelon mentioned in Zephaniah which perhaps could lead to a temporary lull in hostilities for the peaceful period before the Invasion and war of Ezekiel 38 & 39.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

they have to respect the international rights of humanitarian workers

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join