It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inside The U.S. Army’s Spectacular Hidden Treasure Room

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+30 more 
posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Hi guys! Here's something that will probably blow you away! How many of you knew there is a spectacular 'hidden' treasure room of the U.S. Army? Did you know that such a place actually exists? Well, it does!

Behind a series of highly alarmed doors…and long, cement, camera-laden hallways, is the highly sophisticated, climate-controlled treasure room where the Army keeps its most precious artifacts!

Behind these giant doors lie the Army’s historic collection of weaponry which you can see in the link below. But what really blew my mind was the fantastic collection of 16,000 pieces of exquisite masterpieces of fine art the Army owns - all hidden away in the labyrinthine hallways never to see the light of day! And that is a tragedy of galactic proportions!

During World War I, the Army began commissioning artists to deploy into the war zone and paint the scenes they observed. This practice has continued to this day. Much of the museum’s collection consists of these commissioned wartime pieces. The collection also keeps hold of valuable donated military art and historical pieces dating back to the Mexican American War.

Check out some of them here. The rest are in the link below.

Will these beautiful works of art ever see the light of day?

www.buzzfeed.com...
edit on 21-7-2014 by OrionHunterX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: OrionHunterX

Just imagine.... this is what they LET you see.

I can't even begin to wonder about all of the other things they have.

Great piece OP. S&F

~Namaste

+7 more 
posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   
What's the F*****g point of keeping all these fantastic pieces of art hidden away? They should build a proper Armed Forces museum preferably in Washington DC, and display this artwork for the world to see!

Anyways, whose dumb idea was this to keep this away from art lovers and the public at large? Is there a hidden agenda?

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Amazing! Thanks for sharing...and its stories like this why I love ats!!

+5 more 
posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Where's the ark of the covenant?

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Some one said it well once:

"Its all about how much you can grab, and how much you can hold on to."

... and I thought we were supposed to share?

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Wow! Just wow! Thanks for sharing! Such a shame they are all locked away at the moment.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: ColonelSF

S&F

You know, with all the money and manpower they have, how hard would it be to simply digitize the whole collection and put it on line for everybody to see.

After all, one way or another, we all paid for it in the first place and we are paying for it to sit in a storage room.

Get it out there!

P

edit on 21/7/2014 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   
This is amazing! Really sad that they can't raise enough funds for a proper museum. Where did they find the money for the storage facility? All of those moveable storage units aren't cheap. Plus the cost of security. I find it hard to believe they can't find the funds. This is just one of a million things that we could be funding rather than sending billions around the world to other countries. Frustrating.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 08:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColonelSF
What's the F*****g point of keeping all these fantastic pieces of art hidden away? They should build a proper Armed Forces museum preferably in Washington DC, and display this artwork for the world to see!

Anyways, whose dumb idea was this to keep this away from art lovers and the public at large? Is there a hidden agenda?

Maybe it's because they see the monetary value and not the artistic value.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   
that would be an excellent idea.

why isn't this a museum? I'd buy that rockwell print of the machine gunner.
it looks amazing.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   
the issue of a gallery to house the collection IS addressed in the article - if only people read it

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   

One of my personal favorites (we need more politicians like this guy):

edit on 21-7-2014 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: ColonelSF

Agreed..and they could use the proceeds to help wounded warriors and/or their families. Or homeless veterans.

edit on 7/21/2014 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   
The art everyone keeps mentioning isn't all kept in one place. You ought'a see all the paintings that adorn the walls of the buildings we work in. If you get tired of them, you can requisition a whole new look right from the facility highlighted in this thread.

goarmydotcom will get you a two to six year guided tour.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

From the article:

However, there are major fundraising hurdles to jump before the museum can be built. The foundation’s president recently told the Washington Post that it has raised $76 million of the $175 million required for the museum and predicts the museum could open in 2018. The plan is to build the museum at Fort Belvoir.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: GetHyped
a reply to: kosmicjack

From the article:

However, there are major fundraising hurdles to jump before the museum can be built. The foundation’s president recently told the Washington Post that the plan is to build the museum at Fort Belvoir.

That's the point! Why at Fort Belvoir, Virginia? Just because its got a huge complement of Army organizations? Why not a museum in Washington DC somewhere near the Washington Monument?

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
They probably keep it in a vault because there may be truth in some of that art that will blow their original stories. I'm sure there is also much propaganda in it as well. However, I think it should be put in an art museum where it belongs. Such a tragedy to be hidden from art-lovers' and history lovers' eyes.
edit on 21-7-2014 by Fylgje because: to correct typo

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Fylgje

They're building a museum to showcase the art.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Imagine getting to see it all. Absolutely brilliant.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join