It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can't Decide Between Hamster, Guinea Pig, or Gerbil

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Does anybody here have a hamster, a gerbil, or a guinea pig? I need your feedback to decide which to choose from. My neighbor has a guinea pig and it's really cute, and that's how I got the idea that I should consider a pet myself.

Which one is the most fun to play with, easiest to take care of, and the cutest?

[edit on 12/2/04 by diehard_democrat]

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I have a hamster named Drooble...hes really easy to take care of and doesnt crap much. You can keep him in a shoe box without him chewing through it. Theyre really smart (atleast Drooble is) and they are really fun to have around.

Get a hamster!!!

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 08:00 PM
link   
By the way, did I spell guinea pig correctly?

[edit on 12/2/04 by diehard_democrat]

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 08:04 PM
link   
get a dog!!!! If you dont have much place, you can take a small one - believe me (As a huge dog lover I say
) that is the best friend you can get...

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by diehard_democrat
By the way, did I spell guiney pig correctly?

No...its Guinea Pig

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 08:20 PM
link   
all those animals are cute but boy can they stink. We had a hamster, my son (then 4) broke her ribs accidentally while playing with her. If you have little kid around, be careful, they don't realize their strength. I still feel guilt

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 08:36 PM
link   
KayEm has always had hamsters - we have three now.

If you really want to know how amazing they are, read the link.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Wow, that story is amazing.

I'm sort of leaning towards a hamster, because I've heard guinea pigs poop all over the place and their teeth grow constantly. We have 2 little tykes in the house, both under 3, so what I need to know is if they bite when provoked? By provoked I mean like accidentally stepped on, tripped over, hit, what little kids do without knowing.

I'm also a bit wary about hamsters after hearing the story about the one that was squeezed too hard. Very sad indeed.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I had a hamster when I was a kid. If you get them when they are young you need to be careful when you handle them at first. Their eyes arent all that good and so they work predominately by scent. If you have eaten, you need to wash your hands before handling them or they will smell the food and think your hand is their dinner

When they are used to you they really are the cutest little creatures around. Like KayEm's 'Sparky', they do try to escape and you will need to keep them in an escape-proof cage.
I wouldnt really let a three year old play with a hamster though (or a gerbil) because the child may not know his own strength and hurt the little animal.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Guinea pigs are best by far, less fat and more nutritional content, and your python will have no trouble digesting the fur either...............Oh, you mean?

oops sorry. Cute pets im sure!

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Go for a ferret. You can actually train them. One lived in my coat during college. Yes, I was that guy.

If not, then G Pig.

Hamsters are okay, but mine bred with a rat and ate it's own young in front of me. I was young, couldn't stop it...so watching your pet eat 11 babies isn't something I'd recommend for your kids.

Gerbils are just vermin. Barely even pets.

Cats are actually kind of less trouble than any of them.

Vermin cages really stink. And they all keep you up all night. Sleep all day, then run that squeaky wheel all night.

Ferret or cat. But not both.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
... they all keep you up all night. Sleep all day, then run that squeaky wheel all night.

KayEm's hamsters don't - I oil the wheels with olive oil every couple of nights.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   
What Rant ranted and ferreted out.

Rats are also make for brighter and better company than your current furry preferences.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I've had guineas and hamsters, and enjoyed them both. You have to be more vigilant with the hammies , as they are always hatching their next escape plot ( they are very good at levering open the doors of their cages with their teeth )
I've actually got a tragic tale to tell, about one hamster that I kept in a cage on top of a wardrobe, who disappeared one day, to be found a while later down the back of the wardrobe in the shape of a flattened disc
. I've yet to have a guinea get out of it's cage.
It's fun to watch the acrobatic skills of a hamster, but I think that guineas seem to be more affectionate, at least thats what I've found.
I did have a problem when I first got the guineas with them pooping and peeing on me , but they seem to have grown out of that. And thats another thing to think about, the bigger the animal the bigger the poop, and my guineas can certainly poop!
Hamsters are cheaper to keep as you don't get through as much sawdust, bedding, food etc.
Guineas can be trained to do tricks , like jump over objects and run assault courses, I don't know about hamsters?
Whatever you choose, either will give a lot of enjoyment, good luck , and here's a pic of my guineas( I'm currently hamsterless)

crunchie

coco

The sad thing is that my guineas are just for my kids because I soon realised that I'm allergic to them

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I've decided I'm going to go with a guinea pig, because they sound more fun when you can train them to jump over things, and that they actually grow out of pooping and peeing on you.

I'm into the specifics now. Can't decide between a dutch, or a tortiseshell. They both look really cute on the websites I've been to recently.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
Go for a ferret. You can actually train them. One lived in my coat during college. Yes, I was that guy.

Dang you beat me to it

Look into Ferrets... Great Pets... perfect for small homes... You have to bath them once a weak or they start to smell but you can't beat the Ferret for a small pet. Make sure you get a male though!!! They are opposite of other animals and the males are actually the more sociable and freindly sex... Kinda like with humans... ooooooh.

A Ferret will make you laugh more than you would believe... They even go in litter boxes!!!

www.ferretcentral.org...

I had one named Shadow that looked kinda like this fella here.... One more thing about Ferrets though... They are extremely sociable and when my female Ferret died... Shadow died a week later. They are happiest when with at least one other Ferret.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Can't Decide Between Hamster, Guinea Pig, or Gerbil?

Then come on in and try our new combination stew, served with your choice of rice or fries... and FREE Christmas Pudding for the next two weeks.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 07:35 PM
link   
While I am sure they do make nice pets, I have to agree they are not the cleanest.

Is there any reason why you want one? Is it because of size, minimum upkeep? Just why did make up your mind you wanted a Guinea pig or was it Hampster?

:

Keep in mind Pets are not just something to look at because they can entertain you. They do require up-keep and yes above all some loving care.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
Can't Decide Between Hamster, Guinea Pig, or Gerbil?

Then come on in and try our new combination stew, served with your choice of rice or fries... and FREE Christmas Pudding for the next two weeks.

Masked you are bad. I think this kid is serious so cut him or her some slack will ya.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 07:39 PM
link   
You think that was in bad taste?

Try the stew.

<<   2 >>

join