It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have 2 questions

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Yesterday and today I went to three grocery stores, as the specials that are on now will help me get through winter. I stocked up on coffee and other staples and headed to the fresh fruit display to get some fresh cherries. Yum! Displays of loads and loads of fruit of all kinds, it's enough to intoxicate the most avid fruit fly. However, look though I have and still do, there are no fruit flies to be seen anywhere in the store. WHY IS THAT? What do they know that I don't? What do they do that I don't?

As soon as I get home I clean the fruit and refrigerate them and right on cue, the fruit flies arrive to challenge the weakest part of the seal on my refrigerator door. They park on the door or near it and when I open the door, three or four lucky little devils are having a blast in there. I set out red wine vinegar and detergent traps for them, but where the heck do they come to life?

Then there is the single house fly that I swear to you must be the reincarnation of my ex. No kidding. It came in with a repairman a few days ago and it taunts me constantly, buzzes my face and head, lands on my arms and legs and has masterfully perfected the art of evasion and eluding my kill blows. It just has to be my ex, having the delirious time of his short life. I have a zapper, but that fly is just too cunning. Who ever said I don't get enough exercise? I got so frustrated that I hit my arm and bruised it. Bet he was laughing. That is the fly from hell.

Come to think of it, I have never seen a fly in a grocery store either. Why is that? The way people enter all the time I would expect there to be some, but despite making a conscious effort to see one I never ever have, not a single one, ever.

Maybe I ought to put a sign on my door that reads 'Grocery Store'. Grrrrrr.

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Good freaking point!

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 11:23 PM
link   
a reply to: aboutface

That is a very good question.....although I might add, your words had me smiling!!!

What is it about that ONE fly that seems to elude the swatter??
And yes, why no flies in a store where it's doors are continuously opening?

Maybe there are more hiding places in a store???
Dunno...

Maybe someone of more 'intelligence' can answer that puzzling question

Gotta give ya a 'S&F' regardless!!!

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Fruit fly problem ... I dunno.

Housefly ... shoot it with a rubber band. Takes a little practice, but once you know how to aim, they'll never be a problem again ... if you don't mind the mess of it.

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I am not sure why there are no fruit flies in the grocery stores. If I had to guess it would be the constant temperature and the constant rotating of the produce, and the cleaning of the area most every day with some variant of Clorox (at least when I worked at Wally World). The lack of flies can be explained maybe easier.

Do you ever notice that when you walk through the doors of places that carry food and even most fast food places/malls that there is a blower that comes on over your head or door? That blower comes on or stays on at the door and creates enough wind force to keep any flying insect from flying through it. If one does happen to make it through most of us would never notice because we don't tend to stand still when we are in places like that so if flies are landing, they generally are not landing on moving objects.

As for your fly trouble... Been there done that most every year. I live across from a farm, so I get to experience the irritating lovliness more than I would like. You could always try one of those sticky fly traps that you hang from the ceiling. Sometimes that attracts them to it, sometimes not. They can drive you crazy for sure and it does seem like they know when you have the swatter in your hand.

Keep picturing your ex's face on the fly and you should eventually get lucky!!
edit on 7/17/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 11:40 PM
link   
easy anser ever knotice the blast of air as u walk in

its on every door in any food handeling place

it stops all flying inects they avoid it

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 12:04 AM
link   
You didn't mention the curse words when chasing the filthy beasts around the house.with a swatter.

I'm sure I can see their little mouths widen to a grin as I'm cursing and chasing them around, I swear I heard one laugh a few weeks back.

I bought Raid automatic insect control system, it works a treat, turn it on and forget about fly's for about 8 weeks.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 12:10 AM
link   
a reply to: keenasbro

Good point about the swear words, although since I am convinced it is the reincarnation of my ex, I had better not describe all the things I've said. I did vent a lot and that can't be a bad thing, right?

I never heard about the Raid system, but I will look into it, thanks.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Here you go, a bit pricey but the neighbours will love you for it, they can take the ear muffs off the kids for a while.
www.raidautomatic.com.au...

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Fruitflies dont like gmo food ..

no idea on the second ..

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Just follow this:

Trap for fruit flies

Although I usually take old bananas or something equally ripe, sweet and with some alcohol in it (bananas have up to 0.6% as I have heard).

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 02:23 AM
link   
GMO foods have been modified to survive spraying with Roundup so cleaning fruit might make it just a tad more acceptable to your local pests. Learn to love instead hate the fly. Be one with the fly, then perhaps you might get a better chance to kill it.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 02:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Do you ever notice that when you walk through the doors of places that carry food and even most fast food places/malls that there is a blower that comes on over your head or door? That blower comes on or stays on at the door and creates enough wind force to keep any flying insect from flying through it

Yes, yes....we notice it
The blower that comes on and creates enough wind force to mess up one's hair
Then I have to hear my honey gripe about it cause it messed his hair up!!!
*sigh*

I swear, he's worse than a girl when it comes to his hair...LOL

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 02:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: snarky412
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Do you ever notice that when you walk through the doors of places that carry food and even most fast food places/malls that there is a blower that comes on over your head or door? That blower comes on or stays on at the door and creates enough wind force to keep any flying insect from flying through it

Yes, yes....we notice it
The blower that comes on and creates enough wind force to mess up one's hair
Then I have to hear my honey gripe about it cause it messed his hair up!!!
*sigh*

I swear, he's worse than a girl when it comes to his hair...LOL

At least your husband has hair... D'oh!

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Fly solution... take some copper coins (3 or 4)
put them in a ziplock bag
add water
seal bag
thumb tack above doors
et voila! no more flies

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Hi aboutface!

I used to work as a cashier in a grocery store, and honestly....yes, there were flies in the store.
Every cashier had a fly-swatter at her station, and during the slow times some of us would go on SWAT duty, lol.

I would never swat one on the belt, or any area that food was placed...but anywhere else was fine.

The blowers at the front main doors may keep them out, but don't forget...out back where the trucks dock to unload, it's wide open and even the occasional bird would fly in.

The fruit flies seem to linger around the slightly older riper produce, which in our store would be wrapped in plastic cellophane before being put out on the reduced racks.

Hope that helps, lol.
jacygirl

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 06:28 AM
link   
OMG, you cracked up me up with your telling of your experience. LOL Thanks I needed that! Oh and...good luck with the little buggers.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl

So the store had its own SWAT team? Haha, I knew it! The truth will out. Thanks, Jacygirl.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star That fly woke me up this morning by dive-bombing my face and actually walking across my eyelid in triumph. It reminds me of when I had a few cats who would not leave me alone until I got up.

edit on 18-7-2014 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: countingdown

Hey I'm not above doing anything to rid myself of them. But this solution sounds weird. Why would that work?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join