It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Obama Legallized Propaganda

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: PlanetXisHERE

The point is that this new bill is aimed at the activities of the Department of State, as I explained. It is not about government is general. The OP is based on a notion that has been taken out of context.

Like I said, off course domestic propaganda is used, but this bill was passed to make their legal affairs regarding the dissemination of their foreign propaganda appear in order, officially.

Nothing has changed because of this bill. They were using domestic propaganda before it.
edit on 12-7-2014 by SuperVizorr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
If anyone is actually interested in reading the text. Search for "1078.Dissemination abroad of information about the United States"

Foreign Relations Authorization Act, Fiscal Years 1986 and 1987
Section 208 of the Foreign Relations Authorization Act, Fiscal Years 1986 and 1987 (22 U.S.C. 1461–1a) is amended to read as follows:

208.Clarification on domestic distribution of program material
(a)In general
No funds authorized to be appropriated to the Department of State or the Broadcasting Board of Governors shall be used to influence public opinion in the United States. This section shall apply only to programs carried out pursuant to the United States Information and Educational Exchange Act of 1948 (22 U.S.C. 1431 et seq.), the United States International Broadcasting Act of 1994 (22 U.S.C. 6201 et seq.), the Radio Broadcasting to Cuba Act (22 U.S.C. 1465 et seq.), and the Television Broadcasting to Cuba Act (22 U.S.C. 1465aa et seq.). This section shall not prohibit or delay the Department of State or the Broadcasting Board of Governors from providing information about its operations, policies, programs, or program material, or making such available, to the media, public, or Congress, in accordance with other applicable law.

(b)Rule of construction
Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit the Department of State or the Broadcasting Board of Governors from engaging in any medium or form of communication, either directly or indirectly, because a United States domestic audience is or may be thereby exposed to program material, or based on a presumption of such exposure. Such material may be made available within the United States and disseminated, when appropriate, pursuant to sections 502 and 1005 of the United States Information and Educational Exchange Act of 1948 (22 U.S.C. 1462 and 1437), except that nothing in this section may be construed to authorize the Department of State or the Broadcasting Board of Governors to disseminate within the United States any program material prepared for dissemination abroad on or before the effective date of section 1078 of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2013.

(c)Application
The provisions of this section shall apply only to the Department of State and the Broadcasting Board of Governors and to no other department or agency of the Federal Government.

source

It reads as though it's intended to facilitate funding and production of propaganda for foreign dissemination. Looking at what they changed, some of this language seems to have previously allowed for the possibility that propaganda may inadvertently (wink wink) be viewed by a domestic audience prior to the 2013 NDAA.

Good post but the reason for the change is that with the rise of the internet, suddenly their foreign propaganda became available to Americans which created a situation where they were breaking the law officially, so they changed it.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   
It is all propaganda, check out part 2 of this video "selling war"

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: FigmentofyourImagination

Here is part 2. Selling war. sorry i dont know how to post videos.

youtu.be...
edit on 12-7-2014 by FigmentofyourImagination because: forgot video

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Vortiki

For that reason, we need to resort to Alinskiite ridicule and counter propaganda.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   

This post is stupid. Propaganda has always been legal.
Definition: information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicize a particular political cause or point of view.
That's FOX news and MSNBC down to a tee.
The first amendment allows you to spin whatever lie you want to as many people as you want. It's up to those who listen to choose to believe or not. Personal freedom of choice.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: PraetorianAZ

Jeez I always figured it was legal because it seems like out Government has been doing is since I can remember. Maybe the definition of the word propaganda is different to the Government???

The definition of EVERYTHING is different to the Government..lol

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: MarlinGrace
March 30 – April 1, 2012, CRS spent $892.55 in Sanford, FL “to provide support for protest deployment in Florida.”
Does that mean support for protesters of local government? Are they support for the start of protesting or are the helping local LEO's with this statement?

CRS is a component of the U.S. Department of Justice that does not take sides in a dispute, and it does not investigate, prosecute, impose solutions, assign blame, or assess fault.

I don't know how to make it much clearer. I can't comment on the NBP case because I haven't seen any information about that. Make an FOIA request. Post it here. I'd love to see what the DoJ has on that.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   
now they can scare people so they won't get hiv.
Simply saying hiv was a disease was not enough. It didn't terrify people enough. Propaganda saves lives. Propaganda is a useful tool. Fast food companies use propaganda in their ads, so what if michelle obama wants to spread broccoli propaganda. You can't trick people easily with it, all you can do is reason with them with it.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Only skimmed the thread but...

News organizations have no obligation to tell the truth, they're allowed to lie to you for whatever reason they want such as increased profits or because the government has asked them to. However that's (mostly) a relationship between the corporation and the individual. The state and the individual is another matter entirely.

This propaganda bill has to do with overseas propaganda, it's not meant to be used on US citizens. What it does is legalize the US equivalent of something like RT, which routinely runs english stories directed at the US market to make the US look worse or Russia look better. That we're doing this isn't a positive thing but it's not nearly as bad as it at first sounds either.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Obama's whole campaign was propaganda aiming to provoke emotion in people. He does a weekly address on youtube and fields questions written into google+ from grade school kids.

Here Is A Link To U.S Press Freedom Sinking To An All Time Low. We rank under Romania now at 46th.
www.washingtontimes.com...

Hope & Change - The Greatest Deception!
www.democracynow.org...

For Good Measure..
www.justice-integrity.org... Itemid=114&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+JusticeIntegrityProject+(Justice+Integrity+Project)

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Propaganda goes beyond posters and tv ads. Cult of personality is also propaganda, for example "Obama-care, Obama sneakers". Obama might very well be the first potus i've seen that has put a lot of effort (for USA standard) into building up his image,his name,his face and his "Legacy".

Of course,it is still very subtle outside American boundaries but you can clearly see its there. Also, Obama has used a terribly populist speech as well.

If you want to see propaganda and cults of personality in all its glory, you should come to Venezuela. That's if you're interested in the subject and wish to study it up close, I wouldn't recommend coming here if you value your life.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Traditionally, and based on American liberty and freedom, propaganda was never needed because the elected leaders once cherished honesty, integrity, and truth.
If someone in the USA or a different country used lies or propaganda against the USA, then this was easy to deal with, just by combating against it using the truth.

Back then, those who relied heavily on propaganda were folks like Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, and now Obama, and yes even previous presidents before Obama, but Obama has never invoked the truth since being elected. He is 100 percent grade f-u LIAR.
Why do these kinds of pond scum need propaganda? obviously they know that the truth would run them right out of town, and kick them to a curb in North Korea.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 03:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: metodex
Propaganda goes beyond posters and tv ads. Cult of personality is also propaganda, for example "Obama-care, Obama sneakers". Obama might very well be the first potus i've seen that has put a lot of effort (for USA standard) into building up his image,his name,his face and his "Legacy".

The difference here is that Obama never named something ObamaX, he has accepted those things as the popular names but they were named by the right so that they could brand his policies. Once you've branded something it's easier to create a market for or against it.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Hmmm, guess Fox News can now legally expound their crazy ideas and perceptions on the naive and easily distracted.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Obama is evil, pure and simple.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Its not like he needed to make it legal. He has no problem ignoring tge laws anyways.

I think this is to make headway for his cronies that don't have the same privilege to spread the propaganda without consequence.

We are witnessing just the biginning of it, the tip of the iceburg to come.

-Alien a reply to: Vortiki

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Seems to me they've even tweaked the defination to
disinclude straight out government BS and obvious lies.

Propaganda is just another tool by which the rich and powerful,
all consuming, empty human holes, procure their narcissistic,
"Divine right".

I often wonder how anyone can be so serious, about building
a pyramid, out of nothing but marbles. They just don't seem
very bright when all, is considered. Childish, pathetic, spoiled
human beings and here's the kicker.

The rest of humanity is willingly led to slaughter and straight to
hell by them. How did "Little Lord Fontleroy" ever become the
definition of leader?

And here on ATS, we actually try to make sense of it all.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: PraetorianAZ

Yeah, I mean if they haven't been utilizing propaganda until very recently, what kind of escalation would this represent?

I think it might mean they can start doing 'Hitlery' things in earnest.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join