It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another polar vortex weather pattern - this time in July!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear

A couple of days ago was the passing of Hurricane Arthur, Usually these systems drop the dew point in their wake funneling colder drier air down from Canada after they pass the east coast.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: violet
How strange. I mean it's not strange to have chilly summers, but a polar one sure is!
Is it the jet stream? Sure is not here in southwestern bc , Canada.

Well the Jetstream and the Gulf stream/ North Atlantic drift used to be like Martin and Lewis working together, least that what I was told at school.
Also the prevailing wind here was mostly always from the West, that means from across The US to us. We have not had that direct weather for some time now, sure the wind still comes in from the West, but it is driving down from the North and turns in from the West...or it drives down from the North and turns in from from the East. Seems like the Gulfstream has taken the huff, and the Jetstream doesn't know what to do!

edit on 11-7-2014 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: WhiteAlice

Wow!
Thanks for the link to the polar satellite images!

That's AWESOME!

I should of been a meteorologist, it was one of my (and still is besides geology) favorite sciences!

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Darkblade71

I've taken some meteorology and it was actually a pretty great class. The first day, my prof asked us to think of any question about the planet that we always wanted to know but weren't sure of the answer to (with a slight meteorological bent of course). Class came up with a whole bunch very easily like "why is the sky blue?" and more. If there was any class that I took that taught me how amazing our planet is, it was meteorology. I kind of wish I'd earned a degree in it, too, lol.

Glad you liked it. Here's the originating link if you want to watch it over time: weather.cod.edu...

It's neat stuff. You can set it to loop the previous 48 hours using the product menu at the top to watch the spin of it all. I think it's cool because it emphasizes how we all share this beautiful planet.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Bookmarked!

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I hate summer. I'm a winter person. A 'cold blast' keeping the heat down below 80 for a few days will make me very happy.

For some reason the heat mixes with my autoimmune in a strange way and it makes me very depressed. I do better emotionally in cooler weather.

So bring on the big freeze!

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   

If I ever live another life, I want to be a meteorologist. I'm fascinated by the complex system that weather is. I've learned so much by reading these posts and perusing the links provided. It's all very exciting!

Thanks for all the feedback. Keep it coming.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChiefD
If I ever live another life, I want to be a meteorologist.

Being a meteorologist is a great job .... not only is it seriously interesting, but it's the one job on the planet that you can continually get things wrong and still keep your job.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

HA!! Truth!!

I'd high five you if I could!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join