It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another polar vortex weather pattern - this time in July!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I heard on ABC News this morning that some time next week or so, the northern plains and upper Midwest areas of the United States will be getting some very chilly weather. We could see temperatures in the 30's. The guy on the local news station was joking about breaking out the parkas and snowblowers. Not funny though. It was bad enough getting this stuff in January and February, but in the middle of July? Crazy stuff.

What do you all think of this? Overblown hype and hysteria or a sign of more unstable weather patterns to come?

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: ChiefD

I think it's awesome. Screw this summer heat.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Do you have a snippet of this report? I say this, not doubting your OP , but where I live, Deep South US, June was cool and rainy. Totally strange weather for the South.

I don't doubt this at all. The weather patterns have been becoming more mixed up the last few years.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I think it'll be nice.
Where I'm at it's suppose to be 74 Tuesday, nice weather for July.
Sounds good for fishing and a six pack, might even have to bait the hook.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: ItCameFromOuterSpace

Yeah, I'd rather be cool than hot. I just hope we don't get snow. My veggies and wildflowers are finally blooming nicely.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: DaphneApollo

I heard it on the radio, which carries ABC news. The local radio station also mentioned it would be getting very cold next week.

I enjoy the cold much more than the hot humid weather we typically experience in the summer.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Im out on the beach or Shore as these Jersey folk call it. I had to wear long sleeves a couple of days ago at 5 pm! I'm not one to get cold easy and grew up in the Plains with its negative wind chills...

Glad I didn't plant anything this year except garlic.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Next week is going to be in the upper 50's lower 60's where I am at, which beats the 80= temps we have been having. I am designed for cooler climates I think.

Here is the weather channels video on the polar vortex.
Unfortunately I cannot show the video, you have to follow the link.

Unseasonably cold weather is forecast next week across the Midwest and Northeast, parts of which are expected to see temperatures as low as the 40s and 50s -- and that's rare for July. Naturally, this has media commentators speculating that the much-vaunted "polar vortex," which was blamed for this winter's brutally cold and snowy weather across much of the eastern U.S., has returned.
Polar Vortex in Summer But while it's a catchy term that gets a lot of attention, the polar vortex isn't really to blame for the unusually cool weather that much of the nation is expected to see next week.

www.weather.com...

So it is not really a polar vortex.
But I will enjoy the cool down.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Darkblade71

Thanks much for the information and link. I think when it comes to weather, there's much exaggeration to get ratings.

I'm normally a hermit during summer. I don't like to walk in the heat and humidity. That type of weather gives me migraines. Much more pleasant to walk when it's cold.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChiefD
a reply to: DaphneApollo

I heard it on the radio, which carries ABC news. The local radio station also mentioned it would be getting very cold next week.

I enjoy the cold much more than the hot humid weather we typically experience in the summer.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I welcome the cool weather too.
I hate the summer heat anyway. But....it's weird isn't it?

I'm sure we'll all hear the news report soon enough.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
There's numerous sources which could've been included in the OP:

www.weather.com...
www.accuweather.com...
abc7chicago.com...
www.cbsnews.com...
mashable.com...
www.washingtonpost.com...
www.zerohedge.com...

Just to show a few.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   
The gov. is not controlling the weather. I have found a doorway that can leed to making small variations in weather patterns. I just thought we would all enjoy a cool spell.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: _BoneZ_

Thanks for those links. Sorry. I was in such a rush to post, that I should have taken the time to put some of those out there. I'm a weather geek, love watching the Weather Channel. I guess my dream job would be as a meteorologist

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   
It happens once in a while. If I recall, 2004 (FL's triple-hit year) had a nearly identical summer cool down, too. If we're aiming for a repeating pattern, that could also hint at another similarly active later summer for us down here. WAY too early to tell for sure though. I'd have better odds unmasking Dick Cheney as the devil next week than predicting an August/September weather pattern

Also, you northern folks had this last winter:

Now us southerners get our version of it in seasonal reverse.
edit on 7/11/2014 by Nyiah because: Holy huge pic, fixed that. Sorry guys O.O

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Gonna say we sure aren't getting anything but more rain…this is due to the low pressure pushing down and drawing in the moisture from the high pressure area in the gulf. We get almost instant storms that form right over us. So you guys enjoy while we cook and drown here in this damned hell hole.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Basically all the same pieces of the puzzle that brought us ye olde polar vortex so many times this winter are back in place: strong ridge of high pressure in the Pacific, high pressure in the right places over Greenland, jet stream running in the right place ...

So, it tends to spin the cold air down over the upper Midwest like this. Plus, you have the Great Lakes still with really cold water thanks to all the ice that had this winter, so there won't be much warming from the water it will pass over.

The West and the extreme East Coast won't feel this too much probably, but those of us in the upper Midwest will have a very nice time next week. I'm just on the edge of this, so I'm guessing our temps will be about 10 to 15 degrees lower than normal.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   
How strange. I mean it's not strange to have chilly summers, but a polar one sure is!
Is it the jet stream? Sure is not here in southwestern bc , Canada.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: violet

It's not truly polar, not like it would be in the winter. It's just that the cooler air over the Arctic is being brought down by prevailing weather patterns and their won't be much in place that will be able to warm it up before it gets here.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Darkblade71

It's just been pushed upward NE of Japan due to Typhoon Neoguri and that's causing it to shoot downward over the Midwest. The weather is like playing pool really as you have different forces knocking against each other and moving things around. That's a good video explaining what the polar vortex is and that it is the interplay between what's going on along the jet stream and below with the stuff up North.

www.accuweather.com...

I think that people really need to learn that one's local weather is not some isolated event but the outcome of a series of events. I find the best way to realize that is to watch this thing. When you can sit there and start seeing how all those different movements make for a hot day in one place, a rainy day in another and more, it really is quite amazing to behold.

climate.cod.edu...

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Oh i just saw this too! They said early morning temps in the midwest could be in the frickin' 40s! In summer! Now I'm not from there so I don't know if this is normal, but up in my corner of the west coast,we had a SUPER mild winter, the least springtime rain I've ever seen in my life, and its been hot as balls since like the end of May. There are some very strange weather changes emerging, I wonder too if they are not transitions to a new climate. Of course another theory is a physical pole shift; I really don't know enough to make my mind up, but everyone is noticing abnormal weather.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join