It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hobby Lobby wins Supreme Court case, limits the ACA contraception mandate

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
This ruling sets a precedence such that a business owner's religion can exempt the business from obeying the law. It will set up cases where a business owner's religious "rights" are pitted against a person's religious rights. For example, a Jewish business owner doesn't believe in the religious teachings of Christianity and doesn't want to be forced to hire or serve Christians.

The result will be that businesses with enough money to fight their case in court will be the ones who can take "advantage" of it. Only the wealthy.

When the Christians start complaining that Muslims are discriminating against them, we can point to this case. When a Muslim business owner fires someone for bringing a BLT for his lunch, we can point to the Hobby Lobby precedent that they rejoiced over. People aren't seeing any further than their nose on this case...

Welcome to the plutocracy and theocracy that we all know is coming.
edit on 6/30/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: buster2010

That's right every form of religious discrimination is now ok. All you have to do is say my faith says it should be this wa

Yes it's religious discrimination to expect people to pay for their own sex lives!

Pay???

Why do you think God created bars?

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
Did you ever really go shopping there to begin with?

I'm an artist. I've been there a hundred times.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: MOMof3
Congratulations! And to the Muslims, Mormons, and Jehovah Witnesses. Sharia law for you daughters and sons in the workplace, is on its way.

and no Jewish Hanukka in Hobby lobby either.

www.religionnews.com...

I see all the baptist clapping for this one. There all for cases like these until they're forced to follow laws they don't like.

Just wait until their kid needs a transplant and their plan won't cover it because the company they work for suddenly became Jehovah witnesses to save money on health care and double time for holidays.

I'm all for religious freedom but a business IS NOT person and it shouldn't be allowed to have religious views.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
This ruling sets a precedence such that a business owner's religion can exempt the business from obeying the law.

No. The Court ruling FOLLOWS the rule of law ... the Constitution. If they had ruled against Hobby Lobby then the Court would have not been following the law. Again .. you got it backwards.

Welcome to the plutocracy and theocracy that we all know is coming.

No. The ruling is perfectly in line with the secular Constitutional rule of law that protects religious freedom.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

It will set up cases where a business's religion's "rights" are pitted against a person's religious rights.

I believe the comparison is wrong unless we are talking about a business where the customer will have to use it by force and without option, thereby violating their rights with no reasonable way to avoid that violation through personal choice. (like shopping or applying for work elsewhere)

Kinda like the couple who own and run Hobby Lobby found themselves in a captive position to be forced to follow a violation of their own beliefs ...with their only recourse if this had failed, to be shutting down the entire business if they were to maintain Faith to their own belief system.

That, in my view, is precisely what the religion clause of the 1st Amendment was written to most directly prevent. A situation of personal injury, loss or even ruin ...for standing on personal Faith and morality.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
Oh and now closely held corporations can now be a religious person.
Way to go Scalia.

Yeah well that is why they pay taxes, and people get to sue them after all.

Aw shucks.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: buster2010

That's right every form of religious discrimination is now ok. All you have to do is say my faith says it should be this wa

Yes it's religious discrimination to expect people to pay for their own sex lives!

Pay???

Why do you think God created bars?

And to think that if Hobby Looby employee's want that free contraception so bad ?

All they gotta do is walk in to any Planned Parenthood and get it for 'free'.
edit on 30-6-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

If a women knows that a pregnancy would be disastrous to her heath to have a kid couldn't you see how she would see that it is a bit discriminatory that she has to pay for her treatment but there's a myriad of potential illnesses that might pop up in someone's lives decades down the road that have tests provided for free of charge that she will be paying for??

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   

This ruling sets a precedence such that a business owner's religion can exempt the business from obeying the law.

Funny that 'separation of church' and state works.

It is a two way street.

A business can't tell people what to do.,

Neither can the government.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   

or when they start to remove women from the workforce because the believe that a women's place is in the home!!

unless of course it is their husband that wants them in the workforce!

link   
a reply to: Destinyone

Is that not the action just taken by the court, override a law for religious freedom for a corporation?

link   
a reply to: dawnstar

If a women knows that a pregnancy would be disastrous to her heath t

Then it would stand to reason to refrain from having sex then.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wrabbit2000
I believe the comparison is wrong unless we are talking about a business where the customer will have to use it by force and without option, thereby violating their rights with no reasonable way to avoid that violation through personal choice. (like shopping or applying for work elsewhere)

Then you don't deny that discrimination, based on religion is now legal?

I live in a small town. There is exactly ONE shoe store here. In fact, there are 'one of' a lot of stores/resources. If the owners are Christian, there will be a lot of barefoot gay people walking around.

Kinda like the couple who own and run Hobby Lobby found themselves in a captive position

They don't have a choice whether or not to own a business?

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3

Is that not the action just taken by the court, override a law for religious freedom for a corporation?

What law? You mean the 34 changes to Obamacare made my King Obama with his mighty pen. Totally bypassing the law that he had to present them to Congress?

It's not even decided yet, if what he did was overstepping and legal on those issues alone. It's not a cut and dried law...yet.

What the Scotus did this morning was to uphold the Constitution. As far as my learning goes...the Constitution has been around a lot longer than King Obama and his mighty pen.

Des

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

I posted a comment about this already!
There's a whole thread about this already on ats.. Weather or not a refusal to have sex would be justifiable for divorce. Far too many said it would be some even said that their local laws would support it! Heck there was a babtist minister awhile back that was encouraging his whole congregation to have more sex for a period of time to reinforce the marriage union!

And well if people would control their eating habits there would be less need for many medical problems out there! So well while you are trying to deny this women of what could possibly be her marriage maybe you should also try to deny people of a whole slew of other pleasures as well!
Nanny State???

link   

This is a great day for Private Property Rights.

Oh, and if a company wants to claim this due to their Muslim faith, that is fine.

And since when is it discrimination to not want to PAY for something.

link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

or when they start to remove women from the workforce because the believe that a women's place is in the home!!

unless of course it is their husband that wants them in the workforce!

And many, many religions hold the view that women should not work!

Think about this one- can some corporations now REQUIRE a woman to have an abortion if they want to keep their job?

Think about that one!!!

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   

So, because the Court ruled that the Constitution has to be followed .... suddenly women are going to be forced from the workplace and made to stay home ... unless they get a husbands permission to work?

I don't think I've seen a bigger strawman here ... ever.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   

to deny people of a whole slew of other pleasures as well!

NOTHING is being denied.

NOT one GD thing.

They want contraception they go either go buy it themselves, or walk in to any planned parenthood.

I wonder why that is getting ignored.

edit on 30-6-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join