It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monsanto Tries to Patent & Control Natural, Non-GMO Tomatoes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   

In an appalling attempt to patent yet another seed, Monsanto has resorted to fraud to try to gain rights to a tomato which contains a naturally occurring resistance to a fungal disease called botrytis. The tomato is not genetically modified, but Monsanto manipulated documents to make the plant look ‘invented’ by biotech when the plant’s true maker is Mother Nature, herself.

Read more: naturalsociety.com...
Follow us: @naturalsociety on Twitter | NaturalSociety on Facebook

Monsanto Tries to Patent & Control Natural, Non-GMO Tomatoes

It amazes me to see how a corporation exist and thrive. This COMPANY is defiantly ruled by Satan.
edit on 25-6-2014 by awakehuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: awakehuman

I thought there were plant variety patents that had been issued for years -- even before GMOs.

I'm not saying it is right or wrong to patent these things, but I know that people for decades have been naturally cross-breeding certain varieties of plants (through processes such as grafting) to create higher-yielding, heartier, insect resistant, or blight resistant varieties -- AND patenting the results.

I'm not sure exactly how this is different from other natural cross-breeding of plants varieties.

edit on 6/25/2014 by Box of Rain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   

I'm not of the same "satan" belief but I agree evil is behind this corp.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Box of Rain

I thought there were plant variety patents that had been issued for years -- even before GMOs.

I'm not saying it is right or wrong to patent these things, but I know that people for decades have been naturally cross-breeding certain varieties of plants to create higher-yielding, heartier, insect resistant, or blight resistant varieties -- AND patenting the results.

I'm not sure exactly how this is different from other natural cross-breeding of plants varieties.

Cross breading is completely different than owning a patent ... Educate yourself.. Before start trolling :

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: awakehuman
Cross breading is completely different than owning a patent ... Educate yourself.. Before start trolling :

There are certain methods of cultivating new plant varieties from others plant varieties that ARE patentable.

Maybe the term "crossbreeding" was not correct, but I was under the impression that patents can and have been granted for plant varieties produced using other natural (non-GMO) methods -- such as grafting.

General Information About 35 U.S.C. 161 Plant Patents

In this specific case, I don't have all of the information to determine if this tomato is patentable or not (the link seems to present only one side of the argument), but in general, there are non-GMO methods of creating plant varieties that are in fact patentable.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   

I don't think this person is trolling, but asking a legitimate question.

To answer it, I believe you are correct, when cross breeding natural plants. But the issue here is, I believe, they are trying to take credit for a plant that they did not "create", which would make it illegal for anyone else to have, without their permission.

Yes, I do believe this company is wholly evil, with no good intentions what so ever for the farmer, or the general public.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
There is no fraud. There is no implication that genetic modification is involved. The patent is not for a seed and it is not for a natural tomato plant. It is for a method (which involves extensive genetic analysis of subject plants in order to determine whether or not they carry the appropriate genes) of cross-breeding wild tomato plants which carry a natural resistance to a particular fungus in order to produce a commercially viable plant.

edit on 6/25/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

But the issue here is, I believe, they are trying to take credit for a plant that they did not "create",

They are not doing so. Quite the contrary. The plants which provide resistance are wild tomatoes which are not suitable for commercial production.
www.no-patents-on-seeds.org...

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   

This is not the first time a corporation (Monsanto) has tried to circumvent international law's or in this patent natural genomes, attempt's have also been made to patent the human genome which is also ridiculous.
I really do not care about there employees as the world would be better off entirely without these mega corporation's and monsanto is the poster child for that, fancy a glass of puss filled cow's milk anyone.
The economic's these corporations engender are short term and self centered, they act like cannibals devouring and destroying small business and stimy trade and competition, when they gain a monopoly they then raise the price and created an economic desert devoid of competition and choice.
The GDP of the states has fallen by approx 2.7 percent, that is lost job's there and abroad and all because of the constant flirting between top politicians and the corporation's.
It matters to me even though I am in britain as our economy's are symbiotic (Oh and I would like glaxo smith klein and ici to be broken up too so you know I am not just critisizing american corporate entity's) and when the american economy dip's our's tend's to follow suit.
America of the 1950's and early 1960's was a totally different country, small business flourished along side much smaller and competitive corporations and consumer's had choice, value and there money went back into there economy to drive it onward, ok at the time america was in a state of surplus wealth as a side effect of WW2 but even so it was a success that is unlikely to ever be repeated in the west which is sad.
That aside this attempt to defraud by claiming that natural genetic code is there invention is akin to the devil saying he created the universe and I wonder if there directors and board members have hooves, red skin and spikey tails or if the only put that costume on when they have there secret eye's wide shut style satanic gathering's.
Just remember when you buy from them or there subsidiary's you are paying for there corruption, I feel these people should be locked away and the key conveniently lost, they are scum and should be treated as such, mafia godfathers have less blood on there hand's.

edit on 25-6-2014 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom

I don't think this person is trolling, but asking a legitimate question....

Quite right.

I know that plant varieties had been patented for decades prior to the ability to create GMO plants. These varieties have been cultivated using a number of methods that do not involve genetic modification. You've probably eaten varieties of apples that were once patented 25 or more years ago that were cultivated by grafting trees -- although plant patents in the U.S. only last 20 years.

I know there are certain patent rules that apply to be able to successfully patent a certain variety (just like patent rules apply to being able to successfully patent and invention), so I was only wondering what exactly Monsanto was doing in this case that was not patentable.

Again -- I'm not a patent attorney, and I haven't seen the specifics of this case (I only read the link, which only gives one side of the patent argument), so I'm not saying Monsanto is right or wrong. I'm just wondering why it is that the OP feels that Monsanto is legally wrong here (specifically -- not just because they are Monsanto).

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

This is not the first time a corporation (Monsanto) has tried to circumvent international law's or in this patent natural genomes, attempt's have also been made to patent the human genome which is also ridiculous.

What law has been circumvented? What natural genome has been patented?

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage
www.organicconsumers.org...
www.combat-monsanto.co.uk...
www.mathrubhumi.com...
So how much toxin was in the milk you gave your children without your knowledge but with the full knowledge of there board.
pando.com...
www.techdirt.com...
www.sustainablebusiness.com...
www.mnn.com...
news.ycombinator.com...

Come on phage you can not tell us you think a corporation that sell's ulcer inducing artifical lactating compounds to dairy farmers in multiple country's despite what it knows and also knows they then get into the human food chain along with the ulcer fluid's and other discharges is a good entity, they have hijacked your legal system and made you law there puppet so they can litterally get away with murder, how many people die of cancer because of there compound's, how many law's have they broken only to hide it behind a veil of super lawyers and corporate lobby's and how many senator's do they actually own behind the scene's.
If you think all america's wealth in one pot is good for the country then I must point out without competition there are less job's, without job's there is less money driving the wheel's of consumerism, without consumerism there is recession as it is the job's that drive an economy and a monopoly is never going to be good for job's, all it serves is to funnel the nations wealth into fewer and fewer hand's which making itself look good by anual increased in profit but actually causing the actual value of that currency to fall

When a company buy's it's own mercenary army who to they actually think they are, is not america a democracy and yet this private entity is circumventing that democracy and undermining it's law's for it's own corporate and not national purpose.

Right if I poison civilians in multiple countrys by selling faulty drugs I know are going to make the cow's produce weeping ulcers and possible carcinogenic compounds conaminating there milk (and make people ill) then I have breached international law by poisoning the civilian population of countrys, so how have they not and I am not talking symantecs here but the so called spirit of the law, there is one thing about conning people and another about selling them poison and no there national drug boards do not bypass that law as it is international convention on the protection of civilians and it does not only apply at time of war.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Short attention span?

You said:

You didn't answer my questions.

Here's another question;
Have you been misled into thinking that Monsanto bought a mercenary army?
redgreenandblue.org...

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

First I am sorry for thinking they had bought blackwater, thank you for that page Phage but did I not say attempt to CIRCUMVENT the law, I never said broke though according to the international convention on protection of civilians they very well may have except they are a private entity not a nation so it may not apply and that is a stinker but they are a global multinational corporate conglomerate and those things are never good except for there large scale investor's.

I will also point out this they are only as guilty as other corporations and no more so BUT the whole corporate ethos is wrong, they are in general too big, too powerful and monopolise economy's as well as put small business out of the picture and that is why I do not like them in general but I am sorry to have singled out one prominent member of that group of non human persons (You know the ridiculous law on that one I am sure).

www.thedailysheeple.com...
sustainablepulse.com...

They are powerful and have a lot of friend's but that does not make them right, and here is the crux, other corporations are just as bad.
We never hear any bad new's about ICI in the UK but what do you hear as I am sure there must be some dirt on them.
Perhaps you would be interesting in sharing anything about ICI or the silent but growing chinese and russian corporations.
And how many have moved there bulk operation to china harming the economy's they first trashed.

What makes mega corporations so callous is there impersonal approach and there placing of profit over morality, they harm but it is all done at a distance and they never see the people they harm let alone care about them so sorry I can just not find a fuzzy cuddly place in my heart for these monstrous entity's.

Oh and I do have a short attention span, now what were we saying again.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   

First I am sorry for thinking they had bought blackwater, thank you for that page Phage but did I not say attempt to CIRCUMVENT the law,
Yes, you did:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

A short attention span as well as memory I guess.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   

wow...very nicely said [/sarc]

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   
double post.
edit on 25-6-2014 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043

The article is showing to the people how blatantly Monspanto will lie, manipulate data and use deceiving tactics to get their hand on natural occurring plants with certain benefits.

From the article,

Representatives of No Patents on Seeds! have called attention to this shady play of the biotech industry to try to outrun their failing genetic experiments. The original tomatoes used for this patent came from the international gene bank in Gatersleben, Germany, and they have shown this resistance for ages, well before biotech started monkeying with our food supply.

It seems that lately a lot of monspanto Frankenstein manipulations with plants to make them resistant to a variety of diseases in order to profit and even to clima has proven to be a problem with the company as nature will always find a way.

So now they are trying to get their hands on plants that are naturally apt to fight and claim them for their research.

“Because crossing tomatoes is not patentable, Monsanto deliberately rephrased the patent during the period of examination to make it appear as if genetic engineering was involved. However, careful reading of the patent shows that this is simply fraudulent. These tomatoes were not produced by transferring isolated DNA. The European Patent Office should have picked up on this,” says Christoph Then for No Patents on Seeds!. “This patent shows just how easy it is for companies like Monsanto to avoid existing prohibitions in patent law.”

Is very clear that monspanto is trying their best to manipulate data in order to have claims on this particular tomato variety that is very clear by the article that tomatoes even crossing them are not "patentable"

So what a dirty and nasty company monspanto is .

edit on 25-6-2014 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

The article is showing to the people how blatantly Monspanto will lie, manipulate data and use deceiving tactics to get their hand on natural occurring plants with certain benefits.
It actually shows how people don't care about the actual facts if someone makes claims that suit their worldview. Either that or they're just not bright enough to actually read the patent.

So now they are trying to get their hands on plants that are naturally apt to fight and claim them for their research.
No. They aren't.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Monsanto's History of Corruption, Manipulation, and Deception

Monspanto view for the world, from 1999, actually they come a long way on their world domination of the food supplies.

Description:
At a biotech industry conference in January 1999, a representative from Arthur Anderson, LLP explained how they had helped Monsanto design their strategic plan. First, his team asked Monsanto executives what their ideal future looked like in 15 to 20 years. The executives described a world with 100% of all commercial seeds genetically modified and patented. Anderson consultants then worked backwards from that goal, and developed the strategy and tactics to achieve it.

www.docstoc.com...

Yes monspanto is the epitome of what world domination of food supplies means.

"The World According to Monsanto" chronicles its controversial history. It's a powerful film. It explains some of the most toxic products ever sold.

Monsanto deception, pressure, collusion and bribery are standard tactics to do so.

Secret documents are exposed. Firsthand accounts are presented. Victims, scientists, politicians and others tell their own stories.

The film explains why Monsanto's the world's poster child for manipulating governments to permit hazardous products vital to prohibit. It's a wakeup call for mass action.

Monsanto's history includes some of the most hazardous products ever produced. They include Agent Orange, DDT, recombinant bovine growth hormone, polychlorinated biphenyl (PCB), aspartame, and Roundup herbicide among others.

Jeffrey Smith's Institute for Responsible Technology calls Monsanto's history "Deception, Deception, Deception." It's why the company "can't be trusted," he says.

Its own documents later made public reveal Monsanto knew straightaway that many of its products are hazardous to human health. A company memo justified selling them. "We can't afford to lose one dollar of business," it said.

In December 2011, the Natural Society called Monsanto the "Worst Company of 2011." It did so for "threatening both human health and the environment."

It controls 90% of the US GMO seed market. Its Roundup herbicide contaminates 120 million hectares in America, Europe, South America, Australia and South Africa. Its other biopesticides increase contamination.

Corporate Accountability International conducts an annual poll. "(W)e ask you," it says, to (choose) the worst of worst and induct the 'winner' into our Corporate Hall of Shame."

In 2012, Monsanto was chosen. It was "(f)or mass producing toxic chemicals, aggressively running small farms out of business, and recklessly promoting (hazardous GMO) seeds that (harm human health and) exacerbate food scarcity globally - again."

www.thepeoplesvoice.org...

Now the last drop, more deceptions to claim natural plants with special abilities as their own creation and manipulation

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join