It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police shoot and kill 95 year old nursing home resident who did not want to go to the hospital.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Just another installment in the daily insanity of our ever-increasingly militarized police forces...

Police shoot and kill 95 year old nursing home resident who did not want to go to the hospital.

The man, a WWII veteran, was in his room in a nursing home in a small town near Chicago. The staff wanted him to go to a hospital because they feared he had a bladder infection, and he refused, and someone called 911. He refused to leave his room, so police "decided to take him by force..." and one of then fired a shotgun into him, using beanbag ammunition - a round meant for crowd control, and generally used in prison riots at a distance of 6 to 8 feet, causing internal injuries and bleeding. Police stated the man came at them "with a knife or cane". The man's daughter, who is suing the officers, stated he needed a cane to stand and walk and could have not attacked anyone...

A knife... or cane. Hard to tell apart right? And since when are police called to enforce medical intervention on 95-year old nursing home residents?

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 11:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

So more then one LEO could not handle a 95 year old? I mean they shouldn't of been there in the first place sure. That still shouldn't result in the death of 95 year old man.
Why did the officer even have that on him? Isn't that the type of weapon that stays in the car until you are responding to call that you think you would it?
Why would responding to a 95 year old man refusing to go the hospital require that to be on the ready?
Yes let the "you never know what a 95 year old man can do" rain in! I will get a great laugh out of them all

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 11:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blackmarketeer
Just another installment in the daily insanity of our ever-increasingly militarized police forces...
A knife... or cane. Hard to tell apart right? And since when are police called to enforce medical intervention on 95-year old nursing home residents?

It is funny that if you go back to the 70s 80s you would see a police department that would use lethal force as last recourse. Even if it took 5 or 6 cops to bring down a guy they would not use their weapon. Today it seems that after the first demand it is all gun from then on. Is this because we do not have the numbers anymore in the police force to do it the old fashion way of just over powering a person, or is it a totally different attitude that the cops will not risk any form of physical altercation and so just shoot the person instead?

I just do not know, but it seems cops for some reason think that there is no room for physical involvement no matter the case and so will go to their gun at the moment notice of anything outside of total compliance.

The problem is that people get confused and do not always understand what is happening or do not know how to un-escalate the situation since the cops seem to just ratchet it up and do not know how to do it either and so the gun comes out and bullets fly.
edit on 23-6-2014 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I hope the daughter sues for enough to close the entire station down. We don't need police anymore - they do more harm than good.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

or is it a totally a different attitude that the cop will not risk any form of risk and so just shoots the person instead?

IMO this is almost 100% it. They feel that they are untouchable and don't deserve to have anything happen to them.
I am not advocating that they take beatings till that are black and blue all over or dead, by no means, that is crazy and please do not spin these words that way anyone.
But there are plenty of cases of unarmed men getting shot, and "armed" men getting shot for just having something in their hands and the "possibility" of something happening is there.
They get to live in this blanket "every one can kill you in a second so don't let them" mentality.
The second you pose any threat, they can spin that into a "life threatening" threat and the courts and the IA have backed that up time and time again!
And no not all cops are like this, some have taken the licking and some have paid the ultimate price, but if you are not ready for that to happen, don't become a cop. Just like if you don't want to go to war and get shot at you don't go to war.

Just saw this video, don't think it needs a thread but it just shows how untouchable they think they are. And yes by the letter of the law they are, but this one is pushing it IMO.
www.liveleak.com...

edit on thTue, 24 Jun 2014 00:02:37 -0500America/Chicago620143780 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Read this >>

Sharon Mangerson, stepdaughter of the late John Wrana Jr., sued the Village of Park Forest on Friday, and its police Officers Clifford Butz, Michael Baugh, Craig Taylor, Lloyd Elliot, Charlie Hoskins and Mitch Greer in Federal Court.
www.courthousenews.com...

SIX officers! How many vehicles were needed to attend this call? Six officers?!

Why would the police even be called in these circumstances? As it sounds like it wasn't immediately life-threatening, couldn't a doctor or nurse offer treatment where he was?

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 12:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

So basically,in spite of all the freedoms when you compare it to many other countries,the US is becoming a police state?
From what I can see, when a police officer approaches you,remain calm and get on all fours. Doesn't matter if you're carrying something,if you have no arms,if you got a baby on your hands,if you're on a wheelchair,if you're mentally disabled/challenged,if you have parkinson,if you're having a heart attack,if you're sneezing,if you're coughing,if you're drinking water,if you're jogging. You have to stop and do whatever the police asks you to do, or you are a threat to the cop,the city and the country and you need to be put down like a dog.

I've seen police officers trying to "neutralize" a person. Three heavy grown-men putting all of their weights with their knees on the back of an unarmed civilian thats already lying on the floor while yelling "Calm down sir,sir calm down,sir,calm down,sir" is far from being police-like behaviour, its far from being human behaviour. Many people have died this way.

What the hell is going on there? Is everyone so busy dancing to Beyonce and watching The Voice to protest?
Scary stuff indeed,and not funny at all. Hope you change directions,cause i'm afraid to tell you people, you're not a police state yet,you haven't touched rock bottom.

Ben Franklin was right. If you sacrifice liberty to gain secutiy,you deserve neither and lose both.
Don't feel isolated, the whole world is suffering the scourge of authoritarism in all its devilish forms.

Sincere and best wishes from Venezuela.
edit on 24-6-2014 by metodex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Yet another case of hospitals using police to KILL patients!!! Why is a man refusing treatment a reason to call police anyway?? The guy was 95! It's HIS decision to accept or not accept medical treatment, not theirs.

Police shouldn't even accept a call like that, much less show up and attack a 95-yr-old man with a cane. How pathetic does someone have to be to see that as a threat!?

Something's got to give.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 12:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

Read this >>

Sharon Mangerson, stepdaughter of the late John Wrana Jr., sued the Village of Park Forest on Friday, and its police Officers Clifford Butz, Michael Baugh, Craig Taylor, Lloyd Elliot, Charlie Hoskins and Mitch Greer in Federal Court.
www.courthousenews.com...

SIX officers! How many vehicles were needed to attend this call? Six officers?!

Why would the police even be called in these circumstances? As it sounds like it wasn't immediately life-threatening, couldn't a doctor or nurse offer treatment where he was?

yep no doubt they called for an armored vehicle for backup but it was busy down at the local daycarel taking down some pre-school kids for being insolent to teachers
edit on 24-6-2014 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Just shows how hasty and paranoid police is these days, the common sense has been replaced with lethal crowd control weapons and hasty trigger.

Just a terrible event, feel sorry for the man`s family

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 01:02 AM
link   
the reason for all of this police killing regular citizens for nothing, disturbances or petty crimes could be that the police force is being trained like a military, for the state of war.

and if you're in the streets of a city in your own country and there's no war people who break or appear to break the law are being treated by them like enemy combatants; they are being shot at because police force is feeling threatened and entitled to act against "the enemy"...

sick and disgusting.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 01:06 AM
link   
a reply to: metodex

I think they're big brutish bots, or microchipped to the point of being bots/clones.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 01:25 AM
link   
I read the story to my boyfriend and he had a good theory.

He said, "What if all these police shootings and such are a set up. They want people to get super riled up & mad so that one day someone will shoot a cop who was doing something with brute force or whatever have you, and then the government can crack down on people real hard."

edit on 24-6-2014 by knoledgeispower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Already posted
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Is there somekind of brainwashing going on in police training or are they hiring very low IQ people to do the job as all this sounds like they have no emotional intelligence nor ethics at all... very weird what police has turned into.

a reply to: trollz
That thread is closed.. you can´t add to that
edit on 24-6-2014 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 03:45 AM
link   
I know that there are at least a few people in the police force who are kind and intelligent. I believe your numbers are few, but it is your duty to set your coworkers straight. If things get ugly you will find yourself on the receiving end of a force that you will not fare well in. This pot is about to boil over.
edit on 24-6-2014 by skunkape23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 03:52 AM
link   
a reply to: dollukka

abcnews.go.com...
Also goes into the average IQ of police and seems most other articles I found fall pretty close.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 03:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Ok that was 4 years ago and IQ 104 ( a little above average.. ) how much has police changed over past 4 years? is it possible that requirements are even lower now ?

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Police over reaction in incidents are very small considering the total number of police responses to calls all over the country, everyday. I would say there are two contributing factors in these types of incidences:

Steroid use by police officers and anti-terrorism training replacing the older police type training.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 04:18 AM
link   
a reply to: dollukka
I agree, just late and all my roads were leading me back to that one case. I'll try again tomorrow and see what I can find

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join