It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 Minutie stoppage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   
For those that watched the USA v Portugal game, am I wrong to feel that 5 min was too much for this game?
I haven't watched every game but I have watched a good share and only seen 5 twice so far...First one was the ghana game.
They had players go down late sure, so did portugal....It was also pretty hot so cramps are well within reason.
I don't feel that USA was doing much delaying... but biased eyes certainly.
At least they advance with a draw v germany and that is definitely doable.
Just would of be nice to get that win and cruise into germany care free.

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I am still in shock.

But not of the 5 mins. The last substitution took about a minute to happen and we had a number of injuries which took time off the clock so I feel the stoppage time was fair.

What I am shocked by is the fact that we brought on Omar Gonzalez specifically to be in the middle on crosses and he was NO WHERE TO BE FOUND ON THE FREAKING CROSS!!!! He had ONE job to do and his brain was in Los Angeles instead of Manaus!

ARGH! I LOVE AND HATE THIS GAME!

Oh well, we can still go through with a win or a draw vs Germany -OR- a USA loss and Portugal win against Ghana so long as they don't score 4 unanswered goals.

They are -4 on Goal Differential and we are at +1.
edit on 22-6-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-6-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

The five minutes were right, but damn, that goal in last second, that's just typical soccer, don't stop defending when the game isn't over.
Anyway good luck against Germany

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Also food for thought since we're on a conspiracy theory website.

USA need a draw.

Germany needs a draw.

USA coach is a German legend.

If there is a draw all the football conspiracy theorists will be raging.

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: JadeStar

Ya it was a horrible turnover, boot it, get it down to the corner flag. Then bad defending to top it off. Just on the last kick of the game in stoppage.

I do think they will still advance, a draw is definitely in the realm of possibilities for the germany game. The 3 day rest kinda sucks tho after where they just played.

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: JadeStar

Oh ya, and the coaches relationship just adds to that idea

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I am German and I am actually very surprised by all the "underdogs" this tournament.
Yesterday our team did not play as well as against Portugal and Ghana played really well, but somehow I fear that we will lose to the USA too.
They are by far not a bad team, but would have thought how well they play nowadays.
I guess Klinsmann really did a good job+ he knows how Löw will play on Thursday, but so does Löw know about Klinsmann since they worked together for years.
This will be an insteresting match, a complete one sided stomp or a really close game, we will see.

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 09:04 PM
link   
The stoppage was a water break, right? Them boys were drenched in their own sweat. 90 degree heat, but the humidity is what kills you.

The cramps at the end from dehydration and over exertion added to the delays. Nothing out of order there. Thats a tough game let alone the climate. We see it from our comfy chairs, the play on the field is brutal.

Go out in 90 degree heat and run and jump round for 90 minutes at a time.

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   
It was another tie game for a sport known for ties.

Too much ambiguity on timing the game and too little action for this American. I would be okay with the USA just losing so some other country that enjoys soccer can win the cup and enjoy.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Ia reply to: Sremmos80

Here's how I see it. Honestly, it would be in our best interest to lose to Germany Thursday and have Ghana and Portugal tie. That's a automatic qualifier for us in second place in the group. We move on to the round of 16 in second place in group g and get seeded with a easier team and win. Than move on to quarter finals.

To the stoppage time, there was a lot of bull#ting on both sides parts. Would I of liked the US to win? Of course.
Should they have won? Definitely.
Like I said, a lot of bull#ting on both sides. Also, read above. Where did I get this information? Because I know what I'm talking about. Naysayers, I'll eat my words if the US makes it past round of 16. We will be knocked out before quarters. I hope we don't but, realistically, we will. Call me unamerican or whatever.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 02:18 AM
link   
a reply to: GroidNificent

We get belgium if we go thru as two, well that is how that group is looking to shape up anyway. Not sure if that is the easiest team in that group. A 1 spot would be nice.
Best result is a win, more realistic result is a tie least favorable result is the loss cause that keeps the door open. Not very open sure, but today's ending shows just how fast things change.

I just keep thinking of when besler went down, cr7 comes up to the ref and moans to him and then he points to his watch. I just hope he wasn't influenced by that to give the 5 not maybe a 4. Spilled milk tho really, last goal should have been defended better, regardless of how much time was left.
I am kinda confused tho, in the first part of your post, you talk of USA to the quarter finals.
Then say that there is no way they make it past round of 16...??

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Americans discussing football (as opposed to handegg etc). I'm both encouraged and a little uncomfortable at the same time. Good for y'all though, at least you play with some bollocks

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: skalla
Americans discussing football (as opposed to handegg etc). I'm both encouraged and a little uncomfortable at the same time.

Thanks

Get used to it. This nation has gone football mad now. It may have taken us awhile but once bitten by the bug, there is no going back. Its amazing for me as a long time fan of the sport to see how much interest has grown over the last 10 years in it. Now celebs are following the team, the US vice president hangs out in their locker room after matches in Brazil. The president watched US vs Germany from Air Force One and everyone from my hairstylist to my mailman are talking tactics.

Good for y'all though, at least you play with some bollocks

As Tim Vickery, BBC's South American football expert says, the football a nation plays often reflects its national personality and values.

So the USA playing "ballsy", "never say die", "deceptively good" should surprise no one.

edit on 27-6-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

top topics

join