It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Mysterious Sound Is Driving People Insane — And Nobody Knows What's Causing It

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
A Mysterious Sound

I don't know if anyone here on ATS is suffering from this.
However it seems like a thing. And there are sources that are identifying these ELF sources.

Dr. Glen MacPherson doesn't remember the first time he heard the sound. It may have started at the beginning of 2012, a dull, steady droning like that of a diesel engine idling down the street from his house in the Sunshine Coast of British Columbia. A lecturer at the University of British Columbia and high school teacher of physics, mathematics and biology, months passed before MacPherson realized that the noise, which he'd previously dismissed as some background nuisance like a car traffic or airplane passing overhead, was something abnormal.

"Once I realized that this wasn't simply the ambient noise of living in my little corner of the world, I went through the typical stages and steps to try to isolate the sources," MacPherson told Mic. "I assumed it may be an electrical problem, so I shut off the mains to the entire house. It got louder. I went driving around my neighborhood looking for the source, and I noticed it was louder at night."

Exasperated, MacPherson turned his focus to scientific literature and pored over reports of the mysterious noise before coming across an article by University of Oklahoma geophysicist David Deming in the Journal of Scientific Exploration, a peer-reviewed academic journal devoted to exploring topics outside of mainstream science. "I almost dropped my laptop," says MacPherson. "I was sure that I was hearing the Hum."

There are many explanations. But one interesting one has to do with the Military using VLF for TACAMO.

Some Hum investigators suspect that there's a global source responsible for the Hum worldwide. Deming's research, considered close to authoritative in the Hum community, suggests that evidence of the Hum corresponds with an accidental, biological consequence of the "Take Charge and Move Out" (TACAMO) system adopted by the US Navy in the 1960s as a way for military leaders to maintain communications with the nation's ballistic missile submarines, land-based intercontinental ballistic missiles, and long-range bombers during a nuclear war. As part of TACAMO, military aircraft use VLF radio waves to send instructions to submarines: Because of their large wavelengths, VLF can diffract around large obstacles like mountains and buildings, propagate around the globe using the Earth's ionosphere and penetrate seawater to a depth of almost 40 meters, making them ideal for one-way communication with subs. And VLF, like other low-frequency electromagnetic waves, have been shown to have a direct impact on biological functions. (Strategic Communications Wing One at Tinker Air Force Base in Oklahoma, which is responsible for the manning, training and equipping of aircraft utilized as part of the TACAMO system, did not respond to requests for comment.)

Now I don't know if I agree with some of the detrimental effects of these sounds that he outlines. but it's an interesting article.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Those suffering should try to determine if they can muffle the sound using aloe vera mixrd with baking soda and other things like coal tar soap. If they hear elf it vibrates off bone and the brain can hear it.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Do you have a site or a recording for us to listen too?

Disregard I found it
edit on 19-6-2014 by tow69 because: link found

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

It could be they're describing Infrasound , it can cause feelings of unease and has been linked to peoples perception of paranormal experiences like Ghosts.
It can be naturally occurring or as a result of human activity , some have linked wind turbines as a cause.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I've heard the sounds before and after my spirit molecule trip, and they were identical to the ones I heard during the trip. If somebody doesn't know what's affecting them, they can go mad. Since I've dealt with them, I know what they are. When I hear the frequencies, I usually have heightened senses and a greater awareness of physical and non-physical realms. However, dark thoughts do seep through, but I can recognize, distinguish, rationalize, and eradicate those thoughts to keep a balanced and healthy mindset.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
From the OP's source:

The study concluded that not only does the Windsor Hum actually exist, but its likely source was blast furnace at the U.S. Steel plant on Zug Island, which reportedly generates a high volume of VLF waves during its hours of operation.

Sounds plausible. VLF noise pollution from industrial processes.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Well the article has described two known sources.

One is a furnace from a steel mill.

The other is possibly from vlf communications used by the military to communicate with subs.

here is a video of the windsor hum

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I hear the hum,mainly at night,but sometimes during the day.This is how i explain the hum it seems to be coming internally not sound coming from a outside source the hum is inside my head,if i try and focus on it,it makes me feel strange sort of irritated and confused,so to drown it out specially at night when it is more prominent i have a tv on all the time a fan going ,it is always in my right ear when i have my head on a pillow on the right side to help drown it out it seems to intensify the sound,so i don't know where it is coming from but i know it is real

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

It could be they're describing Infrasound , it can cause feelings of unease and has been linked to peoples perception of paranormal experiences like Ghosts.
It can be naturally occurring or as a result of human activity , some have linked wind turbines as a cause.

We have combines working overnight for local farmers. They can be miles away and over the hills. The further away, the deeper the sound.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Some folks claim the Taos hum drives them nuts.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I live in Jamaica, and I where I live this sound is constant. At first I thought it was the sewage pump, however, investigations proved otherwise. This sound seems to be emanating from everywhere as it is hard to pinpoint a direction to its source. I have a theory that it either underground or in the atmosphere.

Everyone all says "What's that sound?" and then just accept it as part of everyday life...

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   

I know someone who was given an "experimental phase" meter from the power company against her will (they didn't even ask). It allows them, I think (this is not so fresh in my memory) to take meter readings from online and not have to go door to door. Sounds like progress, EXCEPT it has caused a low level electric humming sound that is literally driving my friend insane.

She has had to create a make-shift faraday cage by packing up boxes of pots and pans and then sleeping on the floor between them. I know this sounds crazy, but it feels to her like its vibrating in her brain. Not cool!

Is this in the realm of what you are discussing??

- AB

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

So, not the Miley Cyrus thread I was expecting.

The Hum. It supposedly occurs in Kokomo which I've driven through not infrequently in the past several years but I've never experienced it.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: yeahright

Sorry.

But it's much more interesting and mysterious subject matter than miley.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Not ghosts...I have heard this and it is clearly outside. I woke me up from a dead sleep very early in the morning (late night) and my dogs were going crazy once I woke up also. It was very weird, it sounded like a football field sized craft was flying low over the house that was invisible because I looked outside and nothing was there! It rumbled the house but was not really loud, it was like something was flying overhead really slow and rumbling like a diesel truck but not as loud. I don't know how to explain it, but I wrote a thread about it immediately after it happened. This is real, I experienced it first hand along with my dogs and my wife.

Here was the thread to maybe explain it in more detail....www.abovetopsecret.com...

I don't know if it is the same thing being discussed here, but I heard it first hand!

edit on 6/19/2014 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: toktaylor
I live in Jamaica, and I where I live this sound is constant. At first I thought it was the sewage pump, however, investigations proved otherwise. This sound seems to be emanating from everywhere as it is hard to pinpoint a direction to its source. I have a theory that it either underground or in the atmosphere.

Everyone all says "What's that sound?" and then just accept it as part of everyday life...

I used to hear a hum like that in my apartment - though, when the mains tripped out, the hum stopped. Then I had the idea of switching on each circuit in the home until the hum started again. Turned out to the cooling pump in the fridge freezer. It had been slowly failing, then when it locked up, it blew the circuits and main trip switch.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I experienced this for several months. My girlfriend could also hear it but it did not bother her like it did me. The diesel engine is exactly as I described it on another forum (and was quickly attacked as a shill).

At first I thought it was coming from the nearby retail parking lot, as they had a giant tour bus parked there running overnight every night for a few weeks, but when the bus left, the sound was still there.

It would start as soon as we got into bed. I seriously began to doubt my sanity, and was only comforted by the fact that my girlfriend could hear it.

Sometimes I would come home to a quiet house at lunch and still hear it, and it would be perfectly quiet outside.

I would sometimes hear it at work, and once I went up to my dad's in the next town and I could hear it there. He could not hear it so I quickly dropped it.

I haven't noticed it in a few weeks, but another strange thing began to happen. Our cable/internet keeps "unscrewing" itself at the outside box. It's not locked and there is no way to lock it. Not sure if that is related or not, but sht is getting weird all around.

Thanks for this Op! I don't wish this on others but am comforted to not be alone!

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I've been reading about these strange sounds for years. Linda Moulton Howe, investigative reporter, has been following the phenomenon for several years now. You can see her work at: www.earthfiles.com...

By far and away, the creepiest series of sounds reported are the low trumpet type sounds reported around the world. Now, many claim these sounds are a hoax perpetrated on youtube. I don't know and I don't know how to tell a fake from the real thing.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   

When I lived at my old apartment I used to hear a sound like that, only for me I likened it to the sound of an old prop engine plane in the distance, never getting closer or further away. Used to drive me nuts trying to find it, no matter where I went in the apartment the pitch never changed, asked my neighbors and none of them ever heard it. Though at the time Griffiss Air Force Base Rome NY was about 10/15 miles behind my building and still open. Whether that had anything to do with it or not, I don't know, I moved just before it closed and never heard it at my new location.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: AboveBoard
I know someone who was given an "experimental phase" meter from the power company against her will (they didn't even ask). It allows them, I think (this is not so fresh in my memory) to take meter readings from online and not have to go door to door. Sounds like progress, EXCEPT it has caused a low level electric humming sound that is literally driving my friend insane.

Has she asked them to remove it?
If they refuse, and its in the US, have her contact your local version of the Public Utilities Commission, and file a complaint.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join