It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Mysterious Sound Is Driving People Insane — And Nobody Knows What's Causing It

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: jasmine23
I hear the hum,mainly at night,but sometimes during the day.This is how i explain the hum it seems to be coming internally not sound coming from a outside source the hum is inside my head,if i try and focus on it,it makes me feel strange sort of irritated and confused,so to drown it out specially at night when it is more prominent i have a tv on all the time a fan going ,it is always in my right ear when i have my head on a pillow on the right side to help drown it out it seems to intensify the sound,so i don't know where it is coming from but i know it is real

exactly the same for me
its that bad i have the fan on in the winter time too
i also suffer with high pitch noise in two different parts
of my head at the same time

i know its a form of tinnitus but got worse when i started taking asprin (small dose)

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
In trying to find more about the noise I cam accross a YT vid that claimed to have recorded the noise, and it was pretty similar to the low 30-36Hz tone I heard, but some of the people commenting were claiming to hear no noise (no suprise there being that low in the human hearing range) but SOME claimed they could hear a high pitched nois on the vid???

The vid:

YT page:
www.youtube.com...

Can people really perceive the same sound that differently? from a very low to high?

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Low frequency noises can be very difficult to find the source of as that are not directional. I have had low frequency sounds that have been driving me crazy, cause poor or no sleep, and as someone else mentioned, I leave my bedside radio on, or even my computer, in order to mask the noise. In my case though, I know the source, but the authorities would do nothing to help me. It was from a neighbour, two actually, who had permits to grow medicinal MJ, and the low frequencies were from their ventillation fans. Becuase the noise was not 'loud' it only registered 60db or so on a meter, about the same as an air conditioner at 100 ft, but because I live in a quiet rural area, at night it seemed a lot louder. The local by-law authorities would do nothing.
I showed them research on how low frequency sound can affect the mind and body, and has even been used as a torture device by some governments, but still, "it's not loud" was the answer I got. I finally went to the police, who said I could file charges of "assault by noise", and he must have talked to the neighbor who made some changes, and now it is better, still not the silence I should be able to have, but I can sleep without having to use a masking sound.
Many odd occurences can take place, one for instance is due to wave mixing, so the sound of a truck in the distance would mix with the LF noises from my neighbour and create a "beat wave", due to the mixing of the soundwaves. The same also happened when the neighbours at the other side of me started their own legal grow-op, as I was inbetween two noise sources, each quiet by themselves, but at times my windows would vibrate from the combined sound waves. Luckily the landlady in the second house was sympathetic to my complaints and had the tennants make changes, which illiminated the problem.
I sympathise totally with the people who are suffering from wind turbine noise, but until it is accepted that these quiet, but low frequncy noises can have some very nasty effects on us, they will keep building them. They have even found that animals near wind turbines will exhibit sometimes violent behaviour, like killing their young or spontaneous fighting, so it's not just affecting humans.
So the larger scale hums could be from combinations of noise, and from long distances away, as the LF waves can travel far. A combination of natural and man made sources I'd guess might be at work in many cases.

Acoustic Trauma : Bioeffects of Sound
schizophonia.com...

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
14 years ago, I first noticed I was hearing something not normal. My two brothers could hear the sound but not my mom. I originally thought the sound was some old oil well malfunctioning. Its not so much a hum but series of repeating beats that are close to that of a car idling or stalling. The beats are spaced like loosely gripping a hammer and dropping the head on a block, letting it bounce and then repeating. "DUUUH ... DUH ....... Duh. duh.duh. du" repeat every other second.

I tried to locate the sound but ran into the same problem of it having no direction and It can be heard from many locations I've stayed over night at around here. I live in farming community, so low to mid density populace. About 1/8 people here, say they here the sound. It also usually starts around dark and ends around sunrise.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   
sounds like Blue Beam glitch:

Project Blue Beam
By Serge Monast
www.educate-yourself.org...

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I remember in the early 90's many stories of the "Taos Hum". It still is going on today and have had many experts investigate to no avail. There is a short story on it and video. I want to say the military is behind it. Some sort of communication frequency.
strangesounds.org...

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 09:38 PM
link   
As I sit here, I'm listening to a similar "hum" (which is more like a drone) that comes from one of the 2 limestone quarries I'm sandwiched between. I love the nights when there is severe weather because they shut down operations and I sleep much better. The drone is slightly higher pitched than the sound in the first youtube clip...but not by much. The worst part is that its amplified by windows. It sounds louder indoors than outdoors. I have to use a fan each night to create white noise so I don't listen to it. In this case, there is no doubt in my mind that its the quarries because it appears to correspond to their night-time activities. During the daytime you don't hear it. My theory is that they get a break on energy pricing at night and run heavy equipment then to save cost.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Anyone remember X-files did an episode on this? The episode was called "drive".

I actually have noticed recently that a lot of X-files episodes were quite well researched and are based on real reported phenomena.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 03:03 AM
link   
I've been dealing with the Hum since around 1998. I have gotten used to it, though some days it gets so loud it drives me insane.

I have read some hypotheses on it being gravity waves, and some of the ways it varies are in line with the theory of gravity waves, but who knows?

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Rotating fan blades can periodically cause low frequency humming sounds in a sine wave pattern that is to say the sound will gently rise and fall this is most noticeable in the dead of night when things are mostly quiet.

Air humidity, temperature and pressure will play a part in how noticeable the sound is if you are hearing a low humming sound that rises and falls in a stretched out sine wave pattern you may want to check out the fans on the following types of machines.

Air conditioning units
Ceiling fans
Desktop fans
Desktop and laptop computers
Refrigerators
Heating systems
Ventilation systems
Wind turbines
Any electrical installations or industrial sites in your area etc etc

Infrasound can travel long distances and strangely you may perceive it better wearing ear plugs or just by sticking your fingers in your ears. The source of the sound may be further away than you imagine so its worth looking around your neighbourhood for possible causes.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawkActually what you've just said could be correct i remember watching a tv documentary on the hum and this guy went deep underground into caves, he said the hum was louder underground than above weird, glad i don't suffer from it

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
at night when it is very quiet,
I can her it. But I can tell it is coming from a motorway.

I think it is roads and tires at a high speed.
soon find out. see if um! you call them highways?
see if you have them with in 4 miles.
it only take one truck.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: buddha

A simple and cheap way to experiment with wave mixing is to download a free, 2 channel audio generator for your PC, and set the channels at different frequencies. The closer the frequencies, the slower the beat wave frequncy. You can get some effects that will do funny things to you head, but in the real world, like with my neighbours extractor fans, a slight breekze may alter the speed of one fan enough to do some really weird stuff. I can and have slep in some pretty noisy environments, but if the type of beat waves is constant, I think the mind can adjust and deal with it, but when odd changes occur, it seems to mess us up. For example, I'd get a steady wah-wah-wah for a while and then wah-WAHHH-wah-wah and maybe wah-w-w-w-WAAAH-wah, so your mind is always off-guard, wondering what will happen next. That's what kept me awake I think.

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Heard from alternitive sources that these sounds has something to with an agenda of our elites. well it's a conspiracy that says it's purpose is simply to make peaple crazy and nuts or whatever, some mention that they are actually getting nuts of these sounds. what i can't say is if the agenda behind it is true!! does sounds logical to u a reply to: grey580

edit on 22-6-2014 by simpelmatter because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-6-2014 by simpelmatter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Dropped by to say that whenever I turn on a light source powered by an outlet, I hear frequencies and such. It's like a high-pitched ringing.

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

I remember I was staying on the beach a few years back, and sitting on a balcony, it was late at night. I heard a droning sound, that seemed to be coming from everywhere. At first I thought it was some mechanical sound, but it didnt seem to be directional, ie you could not tell where it was coming from. I heard it only that night and never again. Its possible it was a boat out at sea. I am willing to bet this phenomena is due to some man made thing.

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: RifRAAF
In trying to find more about the noise I cam accross a YT vid that claimed to have recorded the noise, and it was pretty similar to the low 30-36Hz tone I heard, but some of the people commenting were claiming to hear no noise (no suprise there being that low in the human hearing range) but SOME claimed they could hear a high pitched nois on the vid???

The vid:

YT page:
www.youtube.com...

Can people really perceive the same sound that differently? from a very low to high?

yes, there's a very high pitched noise right from the start of the vid, very, very annoying

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Couldn't help but notice the U.S. portion of the World Hum Map almost matches this...

www.eia.gov...

It seems many of the dots on the hum map are where you have a high enough population overlapping an area with some major pipelines.

I'm sure some people are familar with noise coming from water pipes when a tap is turned on. Caused by turbulence or whatever, you get that whistle noise. No reason why the same phenomena also wouldn't happen when scaled up and with large flow of a different fluid. Seems reasonable that major cross-country pipelines could be sources of infrasound.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 12:34 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

I have pretty bad tinnitus from playing live music for many years without properly protecting my ears (stupid mistake in hindsight), and the constant sound of quiet ringing gets on my nerves pretty bad sometimes. Especially on quiet nights where the sound seems deafening. So I can sympathize with people who hear this strange Hum.. it's a very effective form of natural torture. Over an extended period of time I can see how it could drive some people to snap and go a little weird. Constant discomfort of any kind is a bitch!

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 03:57 AM
link   
I used to hear the hum at night, sometimes it would drive me mad, but the wife couldn't hear it.

Eventually I realised it was tinnitus - didn't notice it during the day when there was noise, but at night when it's quiet it really stands out - mystery solved.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join