It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FACEBOOK DOWN ?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 03:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: DeadSeraph
a reply to: pirhanna

Awwww man... I was really looking forward to this whole apocalypse thing...

I kind of was too. Though, I can do without a nuke being dropped on my head. FB + Twitter going down everywhere at the same time could indicate the start of WWIII. Seems likely that silencing the main communications networks would be a first strike target just before the bombs start raining down.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Praise jeebus.

People might have to actually meet their friends in that scary place whats its called, oh yeah real life.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Might be to do with those jihadists . Stuffs being shut down so they can't communicate

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 03:59 AM
link   
I wonder what people did in the whole 20 minutes it was down.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Damn with farcebook down the zombie apocalypse will begin in 3.....2.....1.....
All hands to stations !!!! prepare to repel boarders ...
And me outta beer ... the zombie apocalypse couldnt have started at a worse time ...

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 04:01 AM
link   
I feel a disturbance in the force, as if millions of pointless status updates have been suddenly silenced...

My neighbors daughter is gonna flip. "Oh my god, how am I possibly going to talk to people now? who's going to see the photo of my dinner?" How am I going to like anything?!?!" I Imagine she's in a fetal position at the moment.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 04:07 AM
link   
I don't own a mobile phone, i refuse too, so Facebook is my only tool to text people for free. Anything elese about Facebook is, what it is.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 04:08 AM
link   
I missed it (not that I care) as was showering then checked fb as I do most mornings at some point, to find it the home page hot topic.

Anyway, as another poster suggested, facebook being down for a year sounds like a nice idea. I have often considered closing my fb as the amount of ridiculously vain and competitive people on there are truly making me despise humanity.

But I have rels on there and art networking so I have to keep it. I probably annoy people as I read, share and star things of international importance more than pictures of myself posing wherever.

Though the thought of no facebook sounds sort of liberating, no more feeling obligated to ''like'' posts.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 04:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: violet
Might be to do with those jihadists . Stuffs being shut down so they can't communicate

Oh man if I could star more the once I would!
Bravo with blanket terrorist excuse

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 04:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: dreamfox1
Something big might be about to happen. Keep your eyes on twitter and youtube. If they go down too heads up.

What - like the world's sanity is restored and everyone stops broadcasting their every single tiny little minute life event - like dinner?

Heaven forbid.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 04:12 AM
link   
It was just the NSA pluggin, nothing to see here.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 04:39 AM
link   
It was a 'practice run'.....just like those planes disappearing over Europe for 25 minutes...and then the Malayan flight.....and....

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Anyone working in IT have any vague idea what might have gone wrong and where ?

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 05:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: soul44
Anyone working in IT have any vague idea what might have gone wrong and where ?

Systems on that scale have backups of their backups, whatever went wrong its just as likely to be a political/business problem as it is technical.

They use back ups on entirely separate sites/internet lines/hardware, so all this makes me very suspicious on the NSA says no kinda level.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 05:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Biigs
Yes it is quite odd that it was global, considering the backups they would have had. I actually did a simple tracert command to Facebook.com. It was timing out two hops before it reached Facebook.com. That was about 15-16 hops from my IP. Can any conclusions be drawn from that ?

edit on 19-6-2014 by soul44 because: Spelling error

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 05:33 AM
link   
a reply to: soul44

I just did one too and got the same result, except that the hops 10-15 are on tfbnw.com (the face book network). times out on two then completes on 18.

Guess:

Whatever the issues are its internal, therefore probably some network equipment or maybe a room full of it has gone down crashed failed or lost power.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 05:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Biigs
I was thinking the same, internal network failure somewhere. I can imagine the pressure that would have been placed on the network engineers to bring everything back online.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 06:16 AM
link   
a reply to: soul44

I wouldn't know. I actually deacitvated mine about a week ago, but my fiancee says she can log in.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Some times I wonder if people even realize that other forms of electronic communication still exist. Why does everyone use that crappy FB chat interface when there are much better alternatives like Skype, or IRC, or TorChat, or anything which doesn't depend on centralized servers like the FB servers. Not only does FB have a detailed bio on everyone, they also have all your chat logs.
edit on 19/6/2014 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 07:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChaoticOrder
Some times I wonder if people even realize that other forms of electronic communication still exist. Why does everyone use that crappy FB chat interface when there are much better alternatives like Skype, or IRC, or TorChat, or anything which doesn't depend on centralized servers like the FB servers. Not only does FB have a detailed bio on everyone, they also have all your chat logs.

Yes people are aware, but ill tell you why Facebook is preferred over all others. Social media especially Facebook in our day and age is what the newspaper was during the early 1900's. The newspaper connected the imagined community of citizens on a national level to each other, and everyone could feel like they were part of a collective. They would all partake in a ritual of news consumption through the newspaper. It was the only form of mass communication or what we could call mass conversation.

The rise of the internet and specifically social media has seen news consumption and conversation move from a national to a global stage.Facebook is popular not because it allows you to connect with strangers but rather because it allow you to connect with your existing offline connections, no matter how weak they may be. The funny thing is that on Facebook the 6 degrees of separation that exist offline narrows down to about 3 online . This is why news spreads so quick on FB. It doesn't matter if FB keeps our logs or not, FB is a mass tool of surveillance for the masses, and not of the masses. It doesn't benefit the government or spy agencies as much as it benefits its users. Facebook is a mass tool of surveillance for you and me and the average person to use to monitor each other. A self regulatory social network.

I'm not really a heavy Facebook user myself, but when it went down today the only thing i can say i missed for that half an hour was not knowing what other people were up to. I mean there is other social media sites but Facebook the one which seems to be used by most of the people i know. You are right though one cooperation which is central for the online communication for the masses gives them a lot of control, but also a lot of responsibility as well i think .

My question is, does Facebook have an obligation or rather social responsibility to facilitate online conversation and communication forever ? It really has become a big part of how people communicate these days.
edit on 19-6-2014 by soul44 because: Spelling error

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join