It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Most Dangerous Drug and Food Combinations

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: HardCorps
Limes and cough medicine can give you hallucinations!

I'm pretty sure that is just cough medicine that does this. Have you ever heard of robo-tripping?

Also what is inherently dangerous with hallucinating/tripping anyways? I'd really like to know, I've always wondered why medical health advisories are always listing that as a danger or something. Are they worried about bad trips? While they may make you feel bad, they certainly aren't dangerous though.
edit on 18-6-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Also what is inherently dangerous with hallucinating/tripping anyways?

A person could possibly do something without realizing what they really doing.
Always good to have a minder to make sure nothing bad happens.
If a person isn't aware that they are being dosed, the effects can be quite different from someone that is actively seeking a hallucinatory experience.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
Noted: Limes and cough medicine added to grocery list.

best thing I've read today. That was awesome

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Maybe if they are inexperienced with the feeling of tripping. If someone dosed me without my knowledge, (T&C friendly) I'd be fine. Though, I find it hard to believe that one can be dosed without their knowledge from cough medicine. How can one not know they just drank a whole bottle of it?

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Maybe if they are inexperienced with the feeling of tripping. If someone dosed me without my knowledge, (T&C friendly) I'd be fine. Though, I find it hard to believe that one can be dosed without their knowledge from cough medicine. How can one not know they just drank a whole bottle of it?

From the linked article in the OP:

Limes and cough medicine. You may have heard not to drink grapefruit juice with some prescriptions, including cholesterol-lowering statins. But limes, pomelos, and Seville oranges—although not the more-common navel and Valencia varieties—also may block an enzyme that breaks down statins and other drugs, including the cough suppressant dextromethorphan. Because the medication then builds up in your bloodstream, the risk for side effects increases, says Mary Ellen Gullickson, Pharm.D., a pharmacist at Marshfield Clinic in Wisconsin. With dextromethorphan, this includes hallucinations and sleepiness; in statins, you may sustain severe muscle damage. These fruits’ effects can linger for a day or longer, so it’s best to avoid them and their juices altogether while taking these drugs. And if you’re a citrus fiend?

So the cough medicine, if taken as directed while also eating certain citrus fruits can cause a buildup of the DXM in a person's tissues, to the point that hallucinations begin... even though the person was not abusing the OTC cough medicine.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Never, ever take any medication containing Datura....never, never, ever, evil....

sabotagetimes.com...

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Never, ever take any medication containing Datura....never, never, ever, evil....

sabotagetimes.com...

It used to be listed in the PDR as a relief for asthma, the smoke from the leaves was to be inhaled. Do not make any teas or meals from that herb. The only thing that saved the colonists at Jamestown was the fact that they cooked the greens before eating them.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   

I wonder how strong the hallucinations would be if you ate a lime and then two spoon fulls of cough medicine (or whatever the recommended dosage is). I also wonder who would try this naturally (someone not seeking a high). I mean, how many people eat a whole lime just for fun?

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
WHAT? OH CRAP!! Really?

I"m on 1750 a day Amoxicillian treatment for 10 days. I'm on day five. I just rechecked the information .. there is nothing about staying away from dairy. In fact, the pharmacist said to eat yogurt while I'm taking it.

Someone talk to me .... what's this dairy/antibiotic thing???

I thiink Amoxicillan is okay with dairy, but if you can avoid dairy for a couple hours 'around' the doses, I would do that, just in case it could decrease the effectiveness..

The yogurt is to help your digestive system while on antibiotics, because the medicine kills both the bad bacteria which is making us ill 'and' the good bacteria which our intestines need for optimal food absorption (which is why some people get loose bowels when on antibiotics)

Yogurt replaces ''good' bacteria via 'probiotics', if you don't like yogurt, you can buy probiotic supplements (capsules or pills)..

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I'm not going to get involved in this conversation. I know a lot about the interactions of foods. I'll have people hounding me for ways to get high from combinations forever.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

Okay so we all know not to take Dairy products and antibiotics... it says so right on the label .

WHAT? OH CRAP!! Really?

I"m on 1750 a day Amoxicillian treatment for 10 days. I'm on day five. I just rechecked the information .. there is nothing about staying away from dairy. In fact, the pharmacist said to eat yogurt while I'm taking it.

Someone talk to me .... what's this dairy/antibiotic thing???

You are safe, bud. Amoxicillin is not one of the drugs that reacts wtih dairy. The one to watch is Tetracycline, which is hardly used these days, and Doxycycline. Also, Cipro (ciprofloxicin) should be avoided with dairy. Oh, and I am a Pharmacist.

edit on 18-6-2014 by phantomjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I'm on estrogen replacement since my hysterectomy. I stay away from grapefruit because I read that it can spike your estrogen levels sky high if you are taking estrogen. I read about a woman who was on estrogen, and she went on this grapefruit diet where you eat tons of grapefruit. She had a stroke because her estrogen levels got way too high. Scary stuff!

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Lastly they talked about Chocolate and Ritalin. We all know Ritalin has become the drug of choice to treat hyper kids, but I had no idea if you add chocolate on top of,

Combining all these stimulants in humans can potentially lead to erratic behavior and seizures

that's like D-Yam man ---has anyone ever told those kids parents about that?

Here again is the link to the article go check it out

This explains a random seizure I had in elementary school while prescribed ritalin. They never knew what caused it but I bet that's it.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I juiced a whole lime once. I suppose it could happen that way.

It is my understanding that dxm (dextromethorphan)

en.m.wikipedia.org...

Is what causes people to hallucinate in cough syrup, but you have to overdose on it so the chemical spreads from the target area further into the brain.

DXM is also used recreationally. When exceeding label-specified maximum dosages, dextromethorphan acts as a dissociative hallucinogen. Itsmechanism of action is via multiple effects, including actions as a nonselectiveserotonin reuptake inhibitor[4] and a sigma-1 receptor agonist.[5][6] The major metabolite of DXM, dextrorphan, also acts as an NMDA receptor antagonist. In high doses this produces effects similar to, yet distinct from, the dissociative states created by other dissociative anaesthetics such as ketamine andphencyclidine.[7] As well, the metabolite 3-methoxymorphinan of dextrorphan (thus a second-level metabolite of DXM) produces local anesthetic effects in rats with potency above dextrorphan, but below that of DXM.[8]

edit on 18-6-2014 by GoShredAK because: edit

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: CJCrawley

Wouldn't that work equally well with tea and coffee?

Aspirin before alcohol will get you legless much quicker, if you like being legless.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 09:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
Well hydrogen cyanide and well everything

I eat hydrogen cyanide with kabobed ewok almost every Friday, dude sometimes I even dust that shizz with ddt and some bacon. JK bro

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

I'm pretty sure that is just cough medicine that does this. Have you ever heard of robo-tripping?

Also what is inherently dangerous with hallucinating/tripping anyways? I'd really like to know, I've always wondered why medical health advisories are always listing that as a danger or something. Are they worried about bad trips? While they may make you feel bad, they certainly aren't dangerous though.

For me it's good to know because I drive my daughters around.
school stuff church events not to mention all those places we like to go for fun.

So my deal is if I started tripping out I might be freaked at not knowing why?
Even with the dangers of doing that while driving.
if I just started seeing stuff---I'd probably ask someone to drive me to the clinic.

On the other hand if I planned on doing it--- not that I would, I'm not big on putting any kind of chemicals or drugs in my body--- but if I had planned it--- then I would flip out--- its the not knowing it's coming I have a prob with

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: HardCorps

Thank you for the info.

I need something more thorough, something guaranteed, however this will have to do until I can find a better solution.

Jokes aside, I have found that much depends on ones metabolism and immunity levels, yes the combinations of drugs and foods will have an effect but that effect will vary depending on some factors like mentioned above.

However this is no way a suggestion to try and see how strong ones immune system is or how quick ones metabolism can work.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   
anti depressents and "yeager bombs" are not a good combo either, heard from my buddy some dude "OD" on that in a bar in town last night wtf are people thinking

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
Noted: Limes and cough medicine added to grocery list.

No need for the limes.
Trust me.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join