It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there something wrong with being globally aware?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   
It seems to me that some folk around here are under the impression, that in order to have a valid opinion or point on a given topic, it is necessary to be a resident of the nation in which that topic originates. This is in no greater evidence, than in the political fora available to us here on ATS.

I love this site, and I love this planet, and I try, wherever possible, to love my fellow human beings. In order to do that, I like to learn as much as possible about people from other places, and other ways of life than my own. It is a weakness of the human race, that we find it difficult to trust and love those that we do not understand, and therefore, it makes sense that to combat that weakness, we should all strive to understand one another better. I often find that the things that really matter to people, are the same all over the world, largely speaking. But nuance is important, and I like to try where possible to gain a nuanced understanding of this ball of rock we cavort around on, and the things that happen on it.

Therefore, I read, and discuss as broadly as possible, and when ever possible, because it feeds my capacity for understanding, which in turn gives me perspective I would other wise lack, and makes the world just a little bit less of a pain in the arse to live on, and not just for me, but for those I speak to also.

It is a win win, in my book at least! Therefore, I do get frustrated, when I am lambasted for having an opinion on something that happens in someone else's nation. If you look at the number of topics we have running here, and ruled all of a sudden, that only people from the nation in which a story originates may comment upon it, then this place would be pretty much ninety percent Americans yelling at one another through their keyboards, and everyone else just watching the red white and blue fur fly.

Am I to assume that people would prefer that? Should I just forget trying to exercise my understanding of global political interaction, and my examination of the startling similarities between the governments of the world, in terms of what they do, and why they do it?

The only reason I ask this, is because I am getting pig sick of people telling me, that my being British, means I cannot comment on things which happen in the US. When the Japanese government are lying through their teeth to their people about the level of radiation that they are encountering at Fukushima, should we all shut up about that too, aside from those of us who live there? Should I refrain from commenting on matters pertaining to Russia and the Ukraine situation also? Should we all just give up on denying ignorance and communicating with one another?

This site has been a haven for me, as it has allowed me to expand my knowledge base on a plethora of interesting subjects, politics included. I value the interactions I have with my fellow members, when those interactions are open, unguarded, and open minded. But when I run up against a person who fails to understand that geography is no barrier to understanding and having an opinion, it kills my momentum totally. It is like running into a ton stack of bricks head first.

Please, can we stop the idiotic assumption that people from outside the US, might not have something to contribute to a discussion on topics originating there? Can we SHUT THE HELL UP on that nonsense before I burst a blood vessel? Can understanding that some of us are capable of conceptualising things which are beyond our physical experience, actually become the norm here on this website, or are we all to assume the worst, the lowest, and the least intellectual capacity of our fellow members?

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I am somewhat of an Anglophile.

If it didn't originate in the UK it doesn't matter.

edit on 2014/6/17 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Well, that's jolly nice of you to say

But it is precisely because I know that important things happen all over the place, that I wrote this thread, that I get so angry when people pay more attention to my nationality than the opinion I am trying to convey in posts.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   
...quickly looks through truebrits profile to see where he's been posting.

ETA: Found it

edit on 17-6-2014 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I'll see that and raise you two glasses of whine.

Well said. I now prefer to stay out of those types of forums for some of the reasons you stated.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

I thought you might, you canny devil!

But seriously. What the hell is that all about?

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I have seen what you are saying happen here all too often. It is mostly Americans that have that state of mind... And I am American. For some reason a lot of us feel like we can have opinions on every other nation in the world, but don't think ANYONE should be allowed to have an opinion about us unless they live here. I don't know what makes folks think/act that way.

Just look at our government... Ass deep in everyone else's business, but appalled if another nation dares question what we do.

I don't know the answer, but I did want you to know that as an American, I have seen what you are talking about. You aren't imagining it. Not unless both of us are at any rate.

S&F From me. What's good for the goose is good for the gander... No matter where you reside IMO.
edit on 6/17/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Well, that is a relief.

But why do you think it happens, and what do you think the solution is?

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: aboutface

Always happy to raise a glass! I suppose pointing that out is superfluous, due to the proximity of my avatar lol! So this issue has actually prevented you from interacting fully with the content provided on these matters? That's awful!
edit on 17-6-2014 by TrueBrit because: Grammar fail.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I think it happens because most Americans are born and bred to believe this is the greatest country on earth. While we can think that all day long, it doesn't mean that we are the ONLY country on earth. And I think a lot of us do. Seriously.

I don't know of any solution. It's stubbornness and good old American exceptionalism at work I think and it's being demonstrated in a not so correct way.

I'll probably be flamed entirely out of ATS, but it is what it is.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   

It's fair to say that everyone is entitled to their opinion. Needless to say some opinions are better left unsaid or unwritten.

That's my opinion, and I might just leave it hanging there

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

I thought you might, you canny devil!

But seriously. What the hell is that all about?

For those interested here's part of the conversation.

originally posted by: TrueBrit
If you cannot accept that a person from outside your country can know something about how it operates at a fundamental level, then there is no reason to try and communicate with you. I have put up with just about enough of that sort of bloody minded stupidity over the course of my membership here, and frankly, it got boring in the first week.

Well said

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Hi TrueBrit: Good day to you. In answer to you: no. There is nothing wrong with being globally aware. Unfortunately, more people are not, than are.

I think the "average-Joe" is basically clueless to world affairs, and just doesnt want to know. Or think about it. You me and the rest of ATS is in a minority of the populace that even thinks such things are important.

They are.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: myselfaswell

That's a fair point

thanks for putting your two cents in!

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Thanks VoidHawk...

I have just realised that it is 3:09am , and I have a driving lesson to wake up for, so I am going to go to bed and grab a few hours shut eye. I am however, really interested to see what kinds of responses accumulate by the time I awaken!

Good night folks!

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   

We are all from this earth. We just like to draw imaginary lines around our selves.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 09:37 PM
link   

I have taken quite a shine to your mindset on a great many subjects. Keep having at it!!

Have you ever noticed the perspective of folks who've travelled extensively? I'm a pretty fierce American patriot (my own humble opinion), but I've learned to respect the variety of ways things actually work in other parts of the world.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I think here in the UK we have better and more sane news, proper documentaries and reporting, getting to the facts, keeping it real refraining from sales pitch soundbite ''here's your opinion, we decide that for you, suck it up'' style 'fast food' news.

And I say that as no disrespect to the US but I have found most of the reporting and news styles there a form of sugar coated patriotism lacking substance and insight. Like the government ad guys wrote the news, coated it in 'shiny' and wrapped it in a plastic coated stars and stripes flag and stuck a 'god bless America, wooo woo woo woo woo' cocktail stick in it.

On that premise, the reporting style of the US has a lot to answer for regarding US centric attitudes that are all too apparent on ATS. Thankfully there are those of US persuasion that can see past the 'ad news' and perhaps see the reality and the value of other non US centric opinions.

As for the ''it's all a Zionist plan'' brigade, this seems a symptom of the shiny plastic coated ad guy news, just wrapping it up in a different flavour of 'shiny'.

God forbid (actually God permit) that America ever takes itself out of it's plastic bubble, removes it's blinkers and realises that their own and other governments policies and behaviour around the globe are more misguided, complex and historical than a plastic soundbite.
edit on 17-6-2014 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 09:53 PM
link   
The only thing I see wrong with it is that everyone tries to be "globally aware" and complain about everything around the world and act like experts on what's happening across the world.

When they should be more focused on being "locally aware" and pay more attention to whats going on in their own state, town and even their own families.

Also people could strive to be more "self aware" and get to know themselves better.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

Your name explains how I feel about your post.... entirely. My American hat is off to you.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join