It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should the U.S. defend Iraq?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: minusinfinity

Iraq thought they were ready so i say let them handle it. They decided they didnt need US help and thought they were ready to take over. They knew there police wasnt ready but they wanted to make deals with China so i figure let China handle it there the ones who will lose money.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   

That's a whole other kettle of fish, but i'm responding to your comparison with Nazi Germany etc, i'll not drag your thread off topic by going into that any deeper.

However, isn't it the "screw 'em" mentality, thinking of them as animals and not really caring that helped governments do this in the first place though?

Most of these people who will suffer further from the continued destabilisation were cowering under tables as our armed forces rained fire on their cities. Could have been either of us but for an accident of birth.

I'd like to see these people get some help to dig them selves out of the s--t storm they have been living in for waaay too long, but i just don't trust the motivations and long term plans of those who have the power to do anything.

Truth is, the Iraqi people are by and large royally buggered and what ever our governments do it sure as heck wont be due to altruism.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   
"Protect" Iraq? I don't think that's what is being proposed. The proposal is to use U.S. military force to protect the interests of the rich and powerful.

What is this, third grade Social Studies class?

Protect Iraq. Good one.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   

It was your unjustified reasons that destabilised a country that was one of the best academically in the region prior to the invasion.

I don't think you should have ever left, it's Afghanistan part 2.
The public love seeing the shock and awe of the situation but as soon as they realise that they actually have to pay for it then support starts to decline.
You can't destabilise a country, walk away and let a violent civil war occur. You did that with Afghanistan and look what happened after you left there.

This is your countries mess and you should quite rightly have to help sort it out.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: minusinfinity
Hi.

What do you think? How do you feel? Should the US defend Iraq against ISIS?

My opinion is NO. They (Iraq) basically kicked us out but now they beg for help. They say they would approve US airstrikes. I'm sure they would but who's going to pay for such an assult? WTH?!?

I say let the animals fight. I'm sorry but we can't save everyone.

You've been watching too much telly, it's bad for you..

edit on 12-6-2014 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I still think Iraq works best as 2 or three separate countries.

So I think we defend bagdad if asked because we basically destabilized that country for no reason. I mean why not invade Iran, North Korea, Syria, Saudi Arabia, Libya, Cuba, any country we don't like?

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons
Yes we destabilized Iraq,... but we also put Saddam in power,... so...

Let us try something new and STAY OUT...

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: coastlinekid

Maybe we will. So far the US and NATO has told then to # off.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: mclarenmp4

It was your unjustified reasons that destabilised a country that was one of the best academically in the region prior to the invasion.

I don't think you should have ever left, it's Afghanistan part 2.
The public love seeing the shock and awe of the situation but as soon as they realise that they actually have to pay for it then support starts to decline.
You can't destabilise a country, walk away and let a violent civil war occur. You did that with Afghanistan and look what happened after you left there.

This is your countries mess and you should quite rightly have to help sort it out.

You do realize it was Iraq that chose not to extend the US charter dont you?

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: minusinfinity
Hi.

What do you think? How do you feel? Should the US defend Iraq against ISIS?

My opinion is NO. They (Iraq) basically kicked us out but now they beg for help. They say they would approve US airstrikes. I'm sure they would but who's going to pay for such an assult? WTH?!?

I say let the animals fight. I'm sorry but we can't save everyone.

www.independent.co.uk...[/ quote]

They Didn't want you in the first place. But you Destroyed their Country, killed their children anyway.

Now because of what you DID, they are in trouble.

Shame to the US...again.

Peace

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...we just DID that! And a lot...a LOT of soldiers of ours died over there. For what? For them? Again? You forgot already? We are still trying to get AWAY from that place for good.

MAybe you didnt lose friends, family, neighbors a soldiers , but thousands of Americasn di. For what? Nothing.

And Ill tell you...THEY WOULD NOT COME HERE AND DIE TO HELP US. Get real.Please!

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

Yes I do but you occupied them for long enough for 10 years and were advised by your own military that pulling out of Iraq too early would be a big mistake but you did it anyway.

Why didn't you give them the choice before you invaded them? Nah then you wouldn't have got your shock and awe.

All you ever wanted were the oil contracts and now they have been signed, you couldn't give a flying funky about them.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: coastlinekid

Agree. In the eyes if the world, no matter what the US does, we'll be called names and hated. Let the critics that only know how to point a finger actually lift a finger and do something themselves to help.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: LogicalGraphitti

No you are just being myopic with the everyone hates us cause were America. Get over yourself, I was just as opposed to the war in my country (UK) and we did lift our hands to help several times but your president just treated our troops with disrespect and we ended up puling out.

You have the biggest economy in the world, your products are sold in just about every country, you have movies that are watched by the entire world and are liked (most of them), you own the tech industry with apple and google but of course they just hate us because were American. Sorry but that's bull.

It's your actions as the world police and that everyone can see it was always just a resource grab, they couldn't get the pipeline in Afghanistan built quick enough and then all the oil contracts were handed out to Haliburton etc..
That's why you are being disliked not just because you exist as a country.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: mclarenmp4

Yes I do but you occupied them for long enough for 10 years and were advised by your own military that pulling out of Iraq too early would be a big mistake but you did it anyway.

Why didn't you give them the choice before you invaded them? Nah then you wouldn't have got your shock and awe.

All you ever wanted were the oil contracts and now they have been signed, you couldn't give a flying funky about them.

China got the oil contracts not the US you really have alot of misinformation on IRAQ. They requested we leave in order to stay we required a charter since they are democratically elected government. See contrary to the propaganda the moment they had a legitimate government in the eyes of the UN they make the decision. The UN charter ended the moment an elected government took over. The new government signed a charter which allowed the US to continue operations in Iraq.

See no matter what you believe the US was within international law on its operations in IRAQ including the original invasion. Sadam broke a UN brokered cease fire agreement. He thought there wouldnt be any countries willing to enforce the agreement he was wrong.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   
This is the most laughable situation 'on Earth'.

Give these guys what they want.
They get it and turn their backs to us.
They elect their new leaders.
Their new leaders get their gifts and shut the door in our faces.
The muggers climb through the back window to steal their goodies.
They holler for 'the police' to come back and help them.

Let 'em burn!! Lesson learned.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Simple answer, yes along with other countries and headed by the UN.

The US and UK caused this mess and they should help clean it up.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   

I knew that they asked you to leave but you were the occupying force, you could have quite easily have just said no instead of your president making it a political tool. It was obvious that a civil war was going to occur, they just didn't care as long as they can get oil production up then they were happy.

And it's not the U.S that was making the oil resource grab but OPEC, it was just them using the U.S as the world police that allowed them to gain control of the 2nd biggest oil reserve in the world. The Chinese just got in their first.

And come on with the U.N resolution 1441, it was worded exactly the way the U.S & U.K wanted it and Saddam was never going to comply. It still wasn't a mandated U.N Invasion whatever resolution they were in breach of.

Also KBR the child company of Haliburton have made the most out of the war with all the infrastructure projects etc.. to the tune of $39.5 billion dollars.

IBTimes Link

edit on 12-6-2014 by mclarenmp4 because: Added more info

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: flammadraco

I agree with that as well, it should be U.N mandated and the majority of troops should come from the coalition troops who were part of the invasion.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl
This is the most laughable situation 'on Earth'.

Give these guys what they want.
They get it and turn their backs to us.
They elect their new leaders.
Their new leaders get their gifts and shut the door in our faces.
The muggers climb through the back window to steal their goodies.
They holler for 'the police' to come back and help them.

Let 'em burn!! Lesson learned.

You gave these guys war

They had their country destroyed on every level, including the deaths of tens of thousands of Iraqis just like you and I

You pushed for the "representatives" that you wanted

They elected said representatives, recognising that your war machine had always done more harm than good.

You left because you kind of had to (election promises, discontent back home, etc)

An organised and violent group steps forth and steals that which you owed the Iraqi people from the first day you invaded and destroyed their country.

The Iraqis ask for help because hey, you kind of destabilised their entire country on the basis of a lie whilst promising them a better future.

Let them burn? How do you weigh an American life against any other? The racism is sickening.

Its obvious that America will never re-enter Iraq in the same way it did. And you know why? Its not because the Iraqis should "burn", its because you screwed it up monumentally, and very few people on this planet have entirely forgotten--let alone forgiven--the American government for such an atrocious and sustained series of War Crimes. I feel very sorry for the mess that was once Iraq. It could have been better. It should be better.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join