It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RIP Rik Mayall March 7 1958-June 9 2014

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   
The young ones,Black Adder,56 was too young.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
RIP, he was a legend.
Alan B'Stard was very funny.

Some funny quotes of him as Lord Flashheart:-

Lord Flasheart: All right men, let's do-oo-oo it! The first thing to remember is: always treat your kite
[Flashheart taps the picture of the Sopwith Camel with his cane]
Lord Flasheart: like you treat your woman!
[Flashheart whips the air with his cane]
Lieutenant George: How, how do you mean, Sir? Do you mean, do you mean take her home at weekends to meet your mother?
Lord Flasheart: No, I mean get inside her five times a day and take her to heaven and back.
Captain Blackadder: I'm beginning to see why the suffragette movement want the vote.
Lord Flasheart: Hey! Any girl who wants to chain herself to *my* railings and suffer a jet movement gets *my* vote!

Lord Flasheart: Mind if I use your phone? If word gets out I'm missing, five hundred girls will kill themselves. And I wouldn't want them on my conscience, not when they ought to be on my *face*! Hello? Cancel the state funeral, tell the king to stop blubbing, Flash is not dead! I simply ran out of juice! And before five hundred girls all go 'oh, what's the point in living any more?' I'm talking about petrol! Woof! Send someone along to pick me up. General Melchett's driver will do, she hangs round with a big knob so she'll be used to a fellow like me. Woof!
Captain Blackadder: Look, do you think you could make your obscene phone call somewhere else?
Lord Flasheart: No, not in half an hour you rubber desk-johnny! Send the bitch with the wheels right now or I'll fly back home and give your wife something to hang her towels on!
Lord Flasheart: [hangs up] Right! Let's dig out your best booze and talk about me till the car comes!

Lord Flasheart: You look like a decent British bloke. I'll park the old booties on you if that's okay.
Private Baldrick: It would be an honour, my Lord.
Lord Flasheart: Of course it would! Ha!
Lord Flasheart: [Flashheart rests his feet on Baldrick's back and sighs] Have you any idea what it's like to have the wind rushing through your hair, George?
Lieutenant George: No, Sir.
Lord Flasheart: [Flashheart breaks wind in Baldrick's face] He has!

Lord Flasheart: Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait a minute. Now I may be packing the kind of tackle that you'd normally expect to find swinging about between the hindlegs of a Grand National winner, but I'm not totally stupid. I've got the kind of feeling you'd rather we hadn't come.
Captain Blackadder: No, no, no, I'm very grateful. It's just that I'd slow you up.
Lord Flasheart: I think I'm beginning to understand.
Captain Blackadder: Are... are you?
Lord Flasheart: Just because I can give multiple orgasms to the furniture just by sitting on it, doesn't mean that I'm not sick of this damn war: the blood, the noise, the endless poetry.

Lord Flasheart: Ok chums, let's doooooo it. As the bishop said to the netball team.

Lord Flasheart: Enter the man who has no underwear. Ask me why.
Lieutenant George: Why do you have no underwear, Lord Flash?
Lord Flasheart: Because the pants haven't been built yet that'll take the job on!

Captain Blackadder: Flasheart, this is Captain Darling.
Lord Flasheart: Captain Darling? Funny name for a guy isn't it? Last person I called darling was pregnant twenty seconds later.
edit on 9-6-2014 by SoEpic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Way too young...
My favourite Comedian of all time along with Steve Coogan!!!

So I raise my glass if Disarrono & say... Bottoms Up!!!

"But how can Rik be dead, when we still have his Poems!!!"

Goddess Bless You Mr.Mayall!!!

You will be so sorely missed!!!
Rest Peacefully!!!
edit on 9-6-2014 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I am shocked.

Way too young.

Rest in peace Rik...

edit on 9-6-2014 by sn0rch because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   
A proper funny guy, so sad and he'll be missed.

RIP Rik

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I was sorry to hear this. His comedy was part of my youth. Loved the Young Ones and The New Statesman.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   
A genuine legend.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I can't believe it.

Too new for me to take in.

He had a quad bike accident a few years ago and the theory is this was a contributory factor.

So...stroke?

Still haven't quite internalised Mel Smith dying at age 60.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   
God I'm gutted, he was my generation. Will be very sorely missed. For those too young to be familiar with his work,take a look at The comic strip present, Bad news and more bad news. Yes its a bit if a Rip off of Spinal tap, but its better than ST. You will not stop laughing, tena lady time. Will miss old flasheart.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: SoEpic

Good call on Alan B'stard

That was a quality show and I'm not going anywhere near YT in case it's too dated and spoils the memories. I'm also old enough to remember watching the Dangerous Brothers on Channel 4 when I was still in school.

He's had a few mentions on the Richard Herring podcast lately and nobody had a bad word to say about him.

Gotta add the Young Ones' Living Doll to get nostalgic and then mutter how much the humour has dated...

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   
utter bastard.............rip rik

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Devastated, I've sat and had a beer with Adrian Edmondson, and I always hoped I would get to meet Rik....guess I never will now.

What is going on? Either our childhood heroes are dying in droves, or getting done for noncing, 70's/80's kids have it tough methinks.

RIP Rik, true legend, you will be sorely missed.

Ade Edmondsons response was the best I reckon:-

"There were times when Rik and I were writing together when we almost died laughing.

They were some of the most carefree stupid days I ever had, and I feel privileged to have shared them with him.

And now he's died for real. Without me. Selfish bastard."

JAK

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Rik Mayall: Campaign launched to get late comic's 'lost' World Cup song to number one

A campaign has been launched to get late comedian Rik Mayall's “lost” World Cup song “Noble England” to number one.

DJ Jon Morter, who calls himself the ‘charts hijacker’, has started a Facebook page in tribute to The Young Ones star who died yesterday aged 56 for as-yet-undisclosed causes. To date, almost 3,000 people have “liked” the group. Mayall’s track, which includes famous lines “respectfully taken” from Shakespeare’s Henry V (“Once more unto the pitch, dear friends”), set against a football chant (“Come on you England, you noble Englishmen”) and motivational music.

The video, which has racked up 310,500 views, stars Mayall in traditional Henry V get-up inspiring the footballers to bring home glory for their country and “win for St George”.

It closes with the trophy being held aloft and, somewhat poignantly, shows Mayall disappearing into a glowing walkway, an English flag draped over his shoulders, as the crowd cheers. “I am the lovechild of Britannia and St George,” Mayall said upon the anthem’s release. “That is why they gave birth to me, so that I could release this single.

Unfortunately "Noble England" failed to chart, but if anyone can bring it back from obscurity, it’s Morter.

The social media campaigner was behind the successful effort to take Rage Against the Machine’s “Killing in the Name” to the 2009 Christmas top spot, in an outcry against Simon Cowell’s commercial juggernaut, The X Factor.

Speaking on his new project, Morter told the Evening Standard: "It would be great thing for Rik's memory. He was a comedy legend. Rage Against the Machine was more of a protest whereas this campaign seems to be a way of displaying respect.

It could be kinda touching to hear the chorus being chanted by the fans over in Brazil.
edit on 11/6/14 by JAK because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join