It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help me understand why people need assault rifles to protect themselves

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: applesthateatpeople

I live in Detroit. I've had a gun pulled on me 3 times.

I live in the middle of nowhere....southwest VA. I have lived in Chicago, I have had a gun pulled on me a few times as well. I fail to see your point?

I am still alive.

So am I....obviously......again, your point?

No matter how many guns you have, there is still rhe possibility you could end up in a dangerous situation when they are not in your hands, cocked and loaded.

No one said there isn't......minimizing that in the WORST of situations, is the goal.

In a situation like that, only your wits can save you. You might as well learn to defend yourself without guns.

"Learn"? Are you assuming I cannot defend myself?
One would do well to learn a variety of self-defense techniques/strategies....I won't bother discussing what I have learned in this life.

You find it laughable that an American doesn't need a gun to survive?

No, I find it laughable that you think you could defend yourself and your family against multiple psychopathic armed intruders....and a variety of other scenarios I won't waste my time listing for you (this argument and debate is truly a dead-horse)

Me, and every other American I know is getting along fine I only know one person that owns a gun, and he keeps it locked up unloaded until he takes it deer hunting in the winter.

You don't know a variety of "Americans" then, do you? Not all of them are "getting along just fine" and could use a bit of self-defense to do what is necessary if/when it is necessary.
Most of my guns stay locked up as well, besides the one I keep in close reach because I live in the country.....animals and such. I farm...I am sure you can put two and two together (I think)

You make it sound like EVERYONE in America carries a gun. No wonder everyone thought my wife was carrying a gun when she sent to a concert in Canada. And yes it was EVERYONE she talked to.

Do I? Where did I say that every time I leave my residence I carry a gun? Where did I say that?
Don't blame me for what others thought of your wife, buddy.
I am leaning towards your "EVERYONE" she talked to statement being sensational in nature, you know...to "prove your point" and such.....

I am 36 years old, I have travelled the US mainland extensively, and not counting police, I meet like 1 person or family with a gun in their house every 3-4 years. And they are always old. Real old.

Really? At 36, after "traveling extensively", this is your experience. (I suspect you aren't being honest....other possibility was already mentioned by NavyDoc....so I won't bother. I wouldn't tell you I had guns either)

In the bigger cities many criminals with guns belong to gangs or illegal drug trade.

Part of the reason I need guns....you are proving my point for me. Ty.

Don't do drugs... Don't travel into gang territories...

Don't tell me what to do. Don't worry about where I go. I will do as I choose as long as I do no harm and break no laws that provide for the safety of others.....discretion advised.
Btw..."don't travel into gang territory"....really? That is a COWARDS response. Sure, let the gangs have territory, stay out of it, you won't get hurt......what a pathetic response!

Keep in mind that I live in Detroit as I say...

Yeah, I know....you said it. I can read.
Keep in mind that I have lived in various places....there are those like you....sheltered.....everywhere.
One day you will see...you will understand. I hope, for your sake, and for the sake of those you love, that you survive to learn that lesson. Some don't.
But, like others, I respect YOUR right NOT to own guns. Respect mine when I say I WILL own my guns! It isn't that I am trying to earn that respect....I will demand it, otherwise, you are a hypocrite and a troll (which I lean towards anyways....that or really naive)

Crime in the USA is nowhere near as bad as the media portrays.

Depends.....

I'm done............wasted some time but I'm done.

Oh...one more thing....for the record, if I desired to "enjoy my star count" don't you think I would have attempted that by now. I've been here a LONG time. Much longer than this profile says I've been here in this current form.....Obviously, by looking at my "stats" here, one realizes, I don't give. a. rats. ass. about stars!
Apparently you do though....you mentioned them just so you could throw out the "gun nutter" attack....nice one. A bit childish, but nice.....you have TOTALLY got me pegged dude.....TO..TAL....LY...!

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Gun owners live in a world of fear and think the boogyman is out to get them at every turn...

Don't believe me, read the replies in this thread. They have imaginary scenarios of people rushing their houses and doing all sorts of nasty things to their family if they don't own a gun.

Fact of the matter is..your more likely to know your assailant than not. If it ever happens..it will be more than likely someone you know..family, friend..etc.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Onslaught2996
Don't believe me, read the replies in this thread. They have imaginary scenarios of people rushing their houses and doing all sorts of nasty things to their family if they don't own a gun.

My wife and I have covered various contingencies of unlawful entry to our residence.

We have also covered contingencies in case of fire, natural disaster, power outages and personal injuries. Does this also mean I live in fear of a boogeyman or are we just being prudent?

edit on 19-6-2014 by AugustusMasonicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Onslaught2996

Some of us live in a world of realities, where we know history...we have read it. We understand psychopathy....
I understand megalomaniacs. Again, and history.

If you think it cannot and will not (without vigilante watchfulness by those who CARE to protect their own...and consequentially, by proxy, though you will deny it till the end of the world....YOU) happen again.....YOU are a fool and you are naive....

Paranoid and vigilante are not one and the same....but you keep believing they are. That is YOUR right and is fine by me.
I have no emotional ties to you...nor your loved ones. However, to "me and mine", I do. So in that regard, don't you worry about whether I am paranoid or not....comes down to it, I'll have my guns regardless your opinion or your masters' opinions/policy shifting......

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Beat me to it.

I find it strange how some think that many who advocate gun rights clutch a gun 24/7 like some tweaker looking through the blinds in a movie. It is ridiculous.

I don't "live in fear"....lol...
I have more fear of the old wiring in my house than violent crime in my local area (very little)....

I fear "cause and effect" and government tyranny and food shortages and crazy people that WILL take what they have OPPORTUNITY to obtain......that means those of you who cannot provide deterrents....(even those things, I have little real "fear" about)

Very hard to fear when one tired of trying to kill ones self over 5 years ago. Now think about that one for a minute....think really hard about what I said.....I TIRED and BORED and realized I have PURPOSE......have you ever faced death? I have. Fear is for those who are yet to overcome their phobias......you are still phobic of death. It is evident when you try to place that fear on others to alleviate it.....you don't even realize you do this, do you?

ETA....I thought I said I was done.....What Am I Dooing?

edit on 19-6-2014 by Jakal26 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Jakal26

Actually I know the difference between vigilance and paranoia.

Paranoia is the fear that there are people out there, you never met or will meet, out to get you.

Vigilance is being prepared for a for real threat.

Your fantasies of these imaginary people rushing you house fit in the category of Paranoia.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jakal26
I have more fear of the old wiring in my house than violent crime in my local area (very little)....

Same here. We have a Victorian and have covered more 'what to do in case of fire' situations than 'crazed home invader' situations.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Onslaught2996

Your fantasies of these imaginary people rushing you house fit in the category of Paranoia.

Those "fantasies" have become realities for many.....you won't admit that though.
I don't generally feed trolls so I won't really give you much more than this lazy effort.

......it isn't the only reason I keep guns.....keep up, young buck.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Gun owners live in a world of fear and think the boogyman is out to get them at every turn...

Fact of the matter is..your more likely to know your assailant than not. If it ever happens..it will be more than likely someone you know..family, friend..etc.

Yeah, and no. I keep several fire extinguishers in my house, not because I'm afraid but because in an unfortunate contingency, you need the proper tools for the job.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Jakal26

Same here. We have a Victorian and have covered more 'what to do in case of fire' situations than 'crazed home invader' situations.

And would you prevent by law the tools to deal with faulty wiring because you thought that those who feared it were paranoid? I think you are paranoid so I think we should have a law where you cannot own an evil fire extinguisher in your Victorian house.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc
And would you prevent by law the tools to deal with faulty wiring because you thought that those who feared it were paranoid? I think you are paranoid so I think we should have a law where you cannot own an evil fire extinguisher in your Victorian house.

Probably a good call as I was thinking if taking it down to the mall and blasting strangers with it.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: eManym
A 12 Ga. shotgun with 00 ammunition can put out 18 to 24, 33 caliber pellets per second and semi auto 33 to 45, 33 caliber pellets per second. Who needs an assault rifle?

A Benelli Nova firing 3-1/2" BB rounds puts out 93 .18 caliber steel pellets at 1550fps. A .22 puts out ONE .22 caliber bullet at 1350fps.

Pull .22LR long gun trigger once, one bullet.
Pull 3-1/2" BB round shotgun trigger once, 93 faster bullets, insignificantly smaller.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: NavyDoc

Probably a good call as I was thinking if taking it down to the mall and blasting strangers with it.

Good. Those chemicals can sting!

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

I think everyone should have one to defend themselves when the police are unable/unwilling to help. Two, I can. Three, its your right not to have one but its nobody's else's business to tell you you can't.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

While I don't own a high powered semi-automatic rifle; I completely understand why people want that level of protection. It's pretty simple really. People, not unlike myself, are concerned that we are turning not only into a police state but that we will go beyond that to be in a state of totalitarianism. Where martial law is the norm. In such a state the military or at least, branches of the military would be the enemy to citizens or at least, that's the concern. The largest suspect of such a goal is likely the DHS which has armament that is equivelent to military grade equipment deployed in warzones. Now do you understand? Even with a high powered automatic rifles average citizens would be considered for the most part ill-equiped if anything to fight against the potential threat of the DHS or any other branch of the military. However, just because they would be ill-equiped, just because I would be ill-equpied does not mean we simply wish to give up on the effort of having the ability to at least try to defend ourselves with some form of firearm. Semi-Autos and Autos for the most part only fulfill this purpose in my opinion. However, that doesn't mean they should be banned. If anything we should be able to have more equivelant armament so we can more adequately defend oursevles if necessary. Also please consider that the only people effected by guns laws are people that follow those laws, not the ones killing people that obvioulsy could give a # about the law. So if anything armament is also necessary for potential lawbreakers as well that migh have such.

For me, the biggest reason is the threat of tyranny. If I had an auto, the only other reason I'd consider getting it out is target practice. The only other practical purpose for equiping such a weapon is defend myself or my family from tyranny or any other threat as well armed. Also consider this, the citizens of America are the largest standing army in the world. American doesn't get threats of invasion too often and one huge reason is the armament of citizenry. It would be a lot easier for us or any other country that allows their citizens to arm themselves to defend the country from invasion.
edit on 19-6-2014 by GrimReaper86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I'd equate the OP's question to MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction). If the ones you would be worried about have these guns, you'd better have them too.

Because that popgun you have in the corner just won't cut it!

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   

I do not live in fear because I do have a gun!

You on the other hand should be afraid, be very afraid!

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Let us all sing along...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 12:51 AM
link   
a reply to: gspat
Find someone who has what you want and take theirs by taking them out with your semi.
If indeed the situation has broken down that far,who cares?
Silence everything,alter semis to auto,these things are EASY and thousands can do so when the rule of law breaks down.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 01:19 AM
link   
I believe your (OP) question can best be answered if you first can find an answer to "Why does law enforcement and Dept. in federal government like the FDA and the IRS need assault weapons that are high capacity?

When you have an answer to that question, you will understand that the same answer applies to all citizens in opposition to that.

Perhaps the FDA is planning a mass shooting at the farmers market this year or next? I have no idea, but they aren't loading those weapons with blanks or rubber bullets!

They are obviously preparing to do something that gives them enough fear of the public to cause them to make all these guns and ammo purchases and then begin to DEPRIVE THE PUBLIC of being able to do the same.!

Pretty simple math huh, Bob? (Quote from Robocop 1)

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join