It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could Physical Reality be a Dream?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Could Physical Reality really be a Dream?

Are you having a dream that lasts a lifetime? Can reality be universal dream of a cosmic mind? What if the answer is yes?

If this reality was some type of dream, then there should be some evidence which shows a relationship between the dream world and the waking world. The first red-flag that comes to mind is directly connected to something known as “Precognitive Dreaming”. The idea of precognition spans the written record and Aristotle in 350B.C.E wrote a paper entitled, “On Prophesying by Dreams” classics.mit.edu... where he debated the notion that people in his time were describing having these types of dreams.

Deja Vu which is a very common type experience which most people have, is a feeling that comes with a type of deja vu aura where new settings, events and circumstances bring a strong sense of familiarity as if you had been there before. What is not so widely known about the deja phenomena is many people link the source of memory which brings about the familiarity to something they dreamed about in the past. For a comprehensive list of precognitive dream types and examples and evidence I recommend reading my paper, “Theory of Precognitive Dreams” which is open source and freely available on-line. Read: Theory of Precognitive Dreams [PDF]

Frequency studies as mentioned in that paper predict statistically that you could already be one of those types of people who already have first-person experiences with dreams that come true. If science can finally answer this age old phenomena of precognitive dreams; then we will see the first use-case where dreams and reality have a relationship which will help reveal this covert relationship between dreams and this reality.

The next red-flag comes from experiments in quantum mechanics which show that our reality is not exactly as physical as we believe it to be. When physicists first discovered particle/wave duality, this caused quite a stir in the physics community. What this means is sub-atomic particles could behave like a wave, or like a particle based on certain conditions.

When an electron is not being measured or observed it creates an interference pattern which is like a ripple in water that creates the wave pattern or interference pattern. When observed it behaves as physical particles.
“Quantum Theory Demonstrated: Observation Affects Reality”

“In a study reported in the February 26 issue of Nature (Vol. 391, pp. 871-874), researchers at the Weizmann Institute of Science have now conducted a highly controlled experiment demonstrating how a beam of electrons is affected by the act of being observed. The experiment revealed that the greater the amount of “watching,” the greater the observer’s influence on what actually takes place.”

If you thought it was just the sub-atomic particle that behaved this way, an entire molecule of Carbon atoms which form the Carbon-60 molecule known as a buckyball also shows interference patterns.
“Wave-particle duality seen in carbon-60 molecules”

“The Vienna team sent a collimated beam of carbon-60 molecules through a slit made of silicon nitride and detected the interference pattern by ionizing the molecules with a laser and then counting the ions.”

youaredreaming.org...
edit on 4-6-2014 by YouAreDreaming because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Interesting. Dreaming is one of my favorite things about living (sleep, too)...and fascinates me.

I have for some time believed that what happens in my dreams is "real" - just in another dimension. My dreams are NEVER about "the day's events" - and they often occur serially - one night I find myself in one situation and place - on a later night, same place, different situation. Same with the 'characters' (players, people, whatever you want to call them)....

some show up in unexpected places (where previously their 'domain' was in another of my dream-places)....

What do YOU think about that idea? (you left no comments of your own)

edit on 6/4/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
The tale of two domains or dreams.

One is a collective dream the other is a private dream. One is physical. seemingly, only because it obeys strict mathematical(mental) laws. The other all laws break down to 0 or infinity mental without laws. Well to say both are mental is correct and different sides of the coin. One domain is 1+1 the other is 2. The both mean the same thing but in a different way. One is dimensional the other is dimensionless.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Many times have I mused over this subject with friends and ultimately, regardless of the many examples of how we could all be in some kind of a dream, we have to ask the following question, "How real is a punch in the face?" or make the statement, "You can tell me how real that tree was when you ran your car into it at 50 plus MPH".

Reality, whatever it actually is to a truly objective observer, will slap you in the face and wake you up from that dream. Whatever effect our thoughts have on reality, it isn't big enough to stop the damage to your face or your car when you get that wake-up call.

edit on 4-6-2014 by MichiganSwampBuck because: typo

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: YouAreDreaming

Possibly.
But impossible to prove or disprove, in my opinion.
Exactly like the Matrix erm contention (?).

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I personally love these types of topics even though pretty much everyone I know in this life just looks at me all KoOKy.

Nobody will ever find out methinks but still a fun topic to think about even if it makes someones brain hurt.

Just watched this video again... and just makes more questions. But a dream within a dream? Pfft... just add it to the pile of questions that will not be answered long after the Universe grinds to a halt.

I give you Camper Killers Commentary on reality... 10 minutes and fun to watch IMHO and also thought provoking.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Well I see it like this dreams are mental. What science really thinks is physical especially in Quantum Theories are showing to not be so. These theories are however very mathematical(which lets face it science is built on) but what is mathematics? Mathematics is mental. Dreams, mathematics, consciousness, unconsciousness all mental.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I dream while I sleep at night. If the dream is a nightmare I do my best to wake up. If it is not i just continue to dream as if it is real. At times if it is especially wonderful, I wonder if it might be just a dream and I do my best to poo poo the thought and convince my sleeping self that it is reality.

If we are of a mind to consider that our dreams have meaning then the experience of the dream needs to remain intact, without our conscious minds interfering and directing them from without. Likewise, it is my take, that should all of this be a dream, considering that it IS all a dream only interferes with the dream itself. Seeking to prove to ourselves that it is all a dream negates the value of our lives as they are, whatever they are.

Any of that make sense?

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   
We cannot philosophize in dreams. We can philosophize in waking life. So unless you cannot philosophize, life is never a dream.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aphorism
We cannot philosophize in dreams.

Speak for yourself. :p

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   

I've made the same claim (or similar). If there is an after-life, then Life is just one big dream. I found it funny that you dropped some Aristotle, but you didn't drop any Plato. Plato came to the same conclusion as this, but using different words, when he discussed the Being and the Becoming. Cool read though.

It is most depressing. I am dreaming. All this around me, I will realize was just a dream. I say that life is more like a lucid dream.
edit on 4-6-2014 by iosolomon because: (must be filled out)

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueMule

Speak for yourself. :p

Dreaming that you're philosophizing is not philosophizing.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aphorism
Dreaming that you're philosophizing is not philosophizing.

I don't know what point your trying to achieve but what you are saying has no foundations, is totally subjective and, to me, really doesn't make sense.

I think you need to go back to the drawing board and find something else to debate with.
edit on 4-6-2014 by theMediator because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure our souls our trapped in this reality within our bodies and something forces us to re-incarnate in this same barren place.

If reality is a dream, I can't wait to wake up.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I get DeJaVu so intense that I already know what is going to happen in certain situations.

I will be in a conversation with someone and I will remember my dream of the exact situation already happening.

Occasionally I will answer a question before it is even asked in my head. The scene will unfold in reality but I have already been there and done that. It is getting to the point where I almost feel like I am trapped in some kind of a loop or something. I don't claim to know the answers but there is definitely more to this than what we know and I know for myself 100% that it is real TO ME.

I think we as a species have lost more awareness over time than we have gained.

I truly think that either the fluoride in our water or crap put in our food is to keeping us from becoming aware and that there is a group of people that know this and are using it for the upper hand in society. Sad but I think it is true.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: theMediator

I don't know what point your trying to achieve but what you are saying has no foundations, is totally subjective and, to me, really doesn't make sense.

I think you need to go back to the drawing board and find something else to debate with. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

I don't think you know what a dream is. If you want to be objective about it, grab a dictionary and define "dream", compare that with the term "reality" and then explain how they are the same thing. I'd love to hear your sensible foundation and how objective it will be.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   
To answer with the question reversed: could dream world be just as much a reaiity as our own, with different "aspects"/"laws" of physicality?

My answer to both questions: absolutely, beyond doubt.
edit on 4-6-2014 by Richardus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
Interesting. Dreaming is one of my favorite things about living (sleep, too)...and fascinates me.

I have for some time believed that what happens in my dreams is "real" - just in another dimension. My dreams are NEVER about "the day's events" - and they often occur serially - one night I find myself in one situation and place - on a later night, same place, different situation. Same with the 'characters' (players, people, whatever you want to call them)....
some show up in unexpected places (where previously their 'domain' was in another of my dream-places)....

I think this place the 3rd heavy dimension is a test, or a proving ground (not at all reality/a mirror of the 4th/5th dimensions) existing in a solid physical state. I don't dream, I astral travel to the 'real world' were one still experiences physical pain, hunger (as in can consume food, have carnal relations) and do just about everything one does here. I see myself as one foot in one dimension when awake, the other foot in another when sleeping. One of the reasons it is so difficult to incarnate here as a 'newbe' is the waiting lines are miles long (think of standing waiting for a Disney ride at Disneyland); this is an experience EVERYONE WANTS. Unfortunately the repeaters (the ones with Karma get first dibs to correct their souls progress). For me, its more fun exploring when Im 'asleep' than when awake. Nice thread.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

Dreams are definitely a "type" of reality by all definition as what we experience in the dream is real to us at the time of the dream.

In the case of dreaming linked to deja vu ie... deja reve or precognitive dreams there for those who are fortunate enough to have these types of dreams are being shown in first-person experience that there is a relationship between sleeping dreams in the past and future events in physical reality.

It' s my opinion as I have had precognitive dreams and even done some experimentation with them that they are in fact the future in kind of a per-processing mode before the future renders the precognitive dream content into actualization.

Thus from those observations and experiences it's not implied that physical reality is a type of dream, it is implicit that it is. Just on a much larger fidelity than our normal sleeping dreams but a relationship between these two different realities do exist.

At work atm so will come back later this evening to follow up on some more replies.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join