It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baker Forced to make gay wedding cakes, undergo sensitivity training, after losing lawsuit

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone
a reply to: Annee

I don't care, it's a restaurant and I want pork. I know that I can go around the corner to a different restaurant that sells pork and has no problem selling me pork even but I want to go out of my way and have these people make it for me because their beliefs do not matter to me.

This baker baked wedding cakes.

No one walked in and asked him to bake what he didn't already bake.

Your argument is ridiculous and does not apply.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
a reply to: CranialSponge

The point here is that the baker did not discriminate the gay couple. So he did not break any law doing so.

The judge says that he did.

Therefore, he was punished for it.

If the defendant was able to prove his case that he did not break the law, then the judge would not have been able to charge him with a crime.

Apparently, the defendent did not prove his case.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Yeah I know. The lawyer is going to appeal.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

So it is fine to force someone against their will to perform a service.

M'kay.

You're attempting to utilize causal reductionism as a means to prove your side of the argument.

That's not m'kay.

Don't make me pull out the rolling pin...

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Okay then.

That's good. If this business owner has a legit fight and the judge was in the wrong, then he's got a great case on his hands.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 11:31 PM
link   

My point is that these bullies could have gone to another bakery and have them make it for them.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 11:37 PM
link   

My point is that these bullies could have gone to another bakery and have them make it for them.

They went to a place that bakes wedding cakes.

Who's the bully?

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge

Okay then.

That's good. If this business owner has a legit fight and the judge was in the wrong, then he's got a great case on his hands.

I thought this was the appeal.

He tried to use the religious argument, which got him as far as all the other recent equality cases.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Just goes to show you. If you hate a group of people, for whatever reason, just keep it to yourself. And if you have to provide them some kind of service, take their money but just do a crappy job. These things will work themselves out.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 11:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Who's the bully?

The ones forcing the owner to do something he does not believe in.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Apparently he's decided he will no longer make any wedding cakes.

Previously he stated he would close the bakery.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Who's the bully?

The ones forcing the owner to do something he does not believe in.

Then he shouldn't have a business that serves the public.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 11:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge

Okay then.

I thought this was the appeal.

He tried to use the religious argument, which got him as far as all the other recent equality cases.

I have no idea.

We don't have the court transcripts in front of us, so we can only go on what the judge has ruled based on what the plaintiff and defendent presented in front of him. So we don't truly know the finer details of what went on in the court room.

It sounds to me like somebody is not in favour of a law based on their religious belief and therefore, felt that he had the right to allow his religious belief to trump a state law.

But who knows ?
The devil is in the details.

For all we know, this judge may have screwed up royally.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 11:48 PM
link   

I find it sad that you support bullying when it justifies your belief.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Again this here is what the problem is:

Charlie Craig and David Mullins filed a complaint with the Colorado Civil Rights Commission alleging they were discriminated against because of their sexual orientation. For the record, same-sex marriage is against the law in Colorado.

The commission affirmed a civil court’s ruling that the bakery cannot discriminate against persons in a public place based on sexual orientation.

He does have a legit battle.

How did he discriminate against them because of their sexual orientation?

Let's say that muslims walked in and asked you to make them a cake to celebrate 9/11. You refused. Is that discriminatory?

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 11:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

Let's say that muslims walked in and asked you to make them a cake to celebrate 9/11. You refused. Is that discriminatory?

I'm not getting the muslim-911 connection ?

Refusing to bake a cake that celebrates the 911 tragedy has nothing to do discriminating against any particular race, creed, gender, or sexual orientation.

That could easily be proven in a court of law.

I think you're grasping at illogical straws now ?

Or are you trying to say that 911 has something to do with a muslim's religious belief system ?

If a christian walked into your bakery and wanted a cross on their cake and you refused, and then a jew walked into your bakery and asked for a star of david on their cake and you made it no problem... You would be charged with discrimination against the Christian.

edit on 3-6-2014 by CranialSponge because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 12:02 AM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

No T No Shade but quoting Bill Maher doesn't help your stance

No one violated anyone's free speech, or free thought, or free religion. no one said they can't practice said religion, no one said they had to "Accept Gays" and no one said they couldn't vocalize their views.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 12:07 AM
link   

If a christian walked into your bakery and wanted a cross on their cake and you refused, and then a jew walked into your bakery and asked for a star of david on their cake and you made it no problem... You would be charged with discrimination against the Christian.

I understand that. But this is not what it is about.

And btw about the Muslims... some believe in some kind of extreme version of Jihad. You wouldn't have problem making cake for them? After all, you have to serve them all equally.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 12:09 AM
link   

I understand that. But this is not what it is about.

And btw about the Muslims... some believe in some kind of extreme version of Jihad. You wouldn't have problem making cake for them? After all, you have to serve them all equally.

I'm still not getting the muslim religion - 911 connection you're trying to make.

Please explain.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 12:09 AM
link   

I find it sad that you support bullying when it justifies your belief.

What belief would that be?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join