It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Shed - The Gathering

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   
The Shed – “The Gathering”
The intention of this thread is to “tell the story” of the gathering of a few friends from the ATS thread “The Shed”, who recently met up for a weekend on a beautiful Scottish island. Although it "tells the story" of the events, like the Shed Thread it will no doubt contain a lot of chit-chat about what went on, so I have placed it in the Chit-Chat forum like the original Shed thread.
It is hoped that all of those people who were present at the gathering will be able to add their own version of events! And apply their own wonderful personalities and sense of humour to their own telling of our story.
We’d be more than happy to hear any comments from our friends here in the ATS community too, so please chip in! (So long as all of your comments follow the T&C’s!!)

Gordi-
The busy train station was alive and bustling with activity when Gordi arrived. He glanced up to check the arrivals board and noted that the Train was due in about 15 minutes.
“Excellent! Time for a quick coffee” he thought to himself, as he made his way through the crowds.
At last, the time for “The Gathering” was finally here. They had been chatting about it for weeks now, and the excitement in the thread had been building steadily, even among those who were sadly unable to attend.
The plan was a simple one. To finally meet in person, some of the kind hearts and great friends that had been made in “The Shed” thread (and earlier incarnations of the same!), and to have a few drinks, swap a few stories, tell some jokes, sing a song or two, and have some fun!

What would the others be like in person?
What if they were complete nutters?? (I’m looking at YOU Tsu!!)
What if no one got on in person as they did online???

Well, we were about to find out, because just as he finished his last sip of coffee, the arrivals board changed to “Arrival On Time – Due Now Platform 1” and the train rumbled into view.

Gordi scanned the faces of the strangers who were now piling off the train...
“Jane will be travelling alone” he thought, but he couldn’t see anyone yet who quite fitted the bill!
Then a rainbow coloured hat bobbed into view, and his eyes met the wearer’s lovely smiling face.
It was Angel, and she was exactly as he had imagined she would be; friendly, welcoming, open and smiling broadly. They exchanged a huge hug, like welcoming home a long-absent member of the family, then headed off for a quick cuppa en-route to the car to begin the adventure proper.

The weather in the weeks leading up to The Gathering had been a mixture of rain, showers, downpours, thunder storms, drizzle, more showers and the odd (and very brief) flash of normal daylight in between, but now as they left the station they were greeted by clear blue skies and glorious sunshine!

“You are now one of the Lucky Few!” said Gordi... “You have actually seen Glasgow in the Sunshine!”

The pair of shed-dwellers knew that they had a couple of hours to kill, before heading off to the airport to meet and greet the rest of the Gatherers! So, they decided to go to the Kelvingrove art gallery to “Tick One off the List” of Angels Bucket List of things to do before you die! Like Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman in the movie... but this time... to see a Dali painting.

Kelvingrove Art Gallery and museum is a huge and beautiful red-sandstone building, situated in Glasgow’s West End overlooking the river Kelvin and - like all Museums in Glasgow, it is completely FREE to visit. “BONUS!” thought Gordi (being a shrewd and canny Scot!!) It has a lovely, airy and calm atmosphere, despite the dozens of patrons milling around, and the painting in question was quickly found (using Gordi’s excellent navigation skills!! Of course!)

It was quite simply stunning.

I’m sure Angel will fill in the blanks here, but from Gordi’s point of view, it was “Job Done” because the look on Angels face just told it’s own story. She was beaming!
The next hour or so was spent wandering around the wonderful collection of Art and Curios, including a rare specimen of the now endangered “West Highland Wild Haggis”.
Little was known about these creatures until fairly recently, when it was discovered that their *left legs are always shorter than their right legs! (*Unlike their counterparts in the East highlands, whose left legs are longer than the right.)
A strange but useful adaptation for living, as they do, near the high peaks of steep Scottish hillsides, it allows them to run at full speed around the mountain – but only in the one direction. A fact which almost certainly caused their downfall and near demise as a species, because a Highland Haggis hunter simply had to startle the poor creatures, then stretch his nets out and wait for them to complete their circuit of the peak, in order to easily catch them. Thankfully, the Wild Haggi' are now protected under Scots Law.

Soon, the time came to head for the airport, and as luck would have it, one of the two aircraft which were bringing the rest of the gatherer’s together had been delayed and the other had made good time, which meant that they were now arriving within 9 minutes of one another, instead of the anticipated 45 minutes! RESULT!
A seat was found in the Coffee bar directly opposite the arrivals gate in the Airport... and the excitement began to rise again as the time of arrivals drew closer, and in no time at all the figures of Cody and his good lady wandered into view. Huge smiles and big Cuddles all round, and we were just sitting down again when the last of the group, Tsu suddenly appeared by our side!
Our little shed-dwelling gatherer's group was complete, and the trip to “Mysterious Island” could begin in earnest...

TBC
edit on 2-6-2014 by Gordi The Drummer because: I added pics

edit on 2-6-2014 by Gordi The Drummer because: I wanted to add a photo

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   
OOoooooooo...

I have been waiting for this thread to happen...

We want the sordid details...

Its a bummer that I couldn't be there...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Rodinus
Aren't YOU the fuzzy one who WOKE ME UP at 9.30am on Saturday, 3 hours after I finally got to bed???? ROFL
You'd have LOVED it chap!
Roll on the Next!

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gordi The Drummer
Aren't YOU the fuzzy one who WOKE ME UP at 9.30am on Saturday, 3 hours after I finally got to bed???? ROFL
You'd have LOVED it chap!
Roll on the Next!

I didn't do it on purpose mate... *Honest*... Ask Cody...

I am gutted that I could not have been there... but... no worries... I shall be shortly over in the UK with boxes galore of Red Champers...

Next gathering is on me for Halloween in France if anyone is interested?

For information, it is always wise to stock up on Andrews liver salts before an ATS get together...

www.nhs.uk...

Failing that, nothing like the good old dare of the hog?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

Ps. not sure if Cody got my Texto on Saturday?

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Gordi The Drummer

Awesome....

More! Tell us more!

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Awesome....

More! Tell us more!

I think you may see more in the Newspapers... front page... as I believe the riot squad were involved?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Here are a couple more photos from Kelvingrove - If you are ever near Glasgow, I can highly recommend it!
CLICK to enlarge!

Now, the up-coming journey from airport onwards would probably have been a bit easier, if we had a bigger car... but hey, you must make use of what you have to hand, right?
(Wish I could have Clicked That to Enlarge that!)

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   

No RIOT police were hurt during the making of this story or thread!

and THERE IS CATEGORICALLY NO truth whatsoever in the rumour that Gordi "did a Tsu" booty wiggle dance, resplendent in Bright Red shorts with the word "WALES" across the booty part! (Unless the VIDEO proves otherwise....)

G

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   

No RIOT police were hurt during the making of this story or thread!

and THERE IS CATEGORICALLY NO truth whatsoever in the rumour that Gordi "did a Tsu" booty wiggle dance, resplendent in Bright Red shorts with the word "WALES" across the booty part! (Unless the VIDEO proves otherwise....)

G

Were sheep involved?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   

I can see it all now...

"Several officers were injured after the release of a rainbow blasting panda, from a small island in Scotland. Police forces in the area have been instructed to look out for a motley assortment of persons, who are apparently aiding the Rainbow Death Ray Panda in its bid for freedom, despite its blatant homicidal tendencies. Friends of some of the members of the group have been quoted as saying "The Rainbow Panda should be free to wreak his multicoloured havoc! Shame upon the establishment... also GOOD LUCK YOU GUYS! F&*^ THE SYSTEM!"

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   

YAY!!!

I have been waiting for this!
Carry on, Gordi....carry on....

jacy

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Cody meandered into arrivals with the cuddle monster in tow

"Go ahead babes" He said "I'll wait for the rucksack"

"Stuff that" retorted the monster "You think I'm going out there alone? I married you 'cause I Iove a nutter, NOT because I want to be one"

As she finished her sentence a knackered looking rucksack came trundling around the conveyor.

Cody threw it on his back

They walked through arrivals with trepidation in their hearts to be faced by two beings drinking coffee and pointing like excited kids.

"That'll be them babes" He said

"You first" said the cuddle freak

They stood face to face, man to man, eyeing each other up, measuring each other.

Cody dropped the rucksack from his shoulder to the floor, ready for battle.

Gordi extended his hand and Cody said "Bugger that Gbro, give us a hug"

Cody

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: cody599

Gordi... did you get the hug with the slobbery tongue in the ear too?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Well DUH

Cody

edit on 2/6/14 by cody599 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: cody599

Well DUH

Cody

Come on mate... did I say that you also stuck it down my throat too and that it took 7 customs officers to split us apart?

Kindest respects

Rod

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   

You mean THAT was His TONGUE?????
OMG!!!! I thought he was offering me a sausage and scrambled egg baguette!

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   

You mean THAT was His TONGUE?????
OMG!!!! I thought he was offering me a sausage and scrambled egg baguette!

Please see U2U... I cannot explain all of that here in order to respect T and Cs

Kindest respects

Rod

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   
The journey from the airport to the ferry terminal was great fun, with the 3 girls chattering in the back of the car, Cody smiling in the front passenger seat, and Gordi driving (and generally being ignored by the girls as he pointed out places of interest!! LOL)

“I think this is going to work out just fine!” he thought to himself. “They don’t suspect a thing!!!” Mwhahaa!!!

It was only a short 25 minutes or so before they caught their first glimpse of.... The Island!
Stunning in the bright sunshine, with the waves glistening all around, they could see it clearly from their vantage point on the road as it dropped down towards the ferry-port town of Largs.

And moments later, the Gatherer’s were boarding the ferry for the short hop across to the “Tropical” Isle of Cumbrae.

It may only be a 10 minute sail, but the difference in atmosphere between the two points of departure and arrival is staggering.

There is an old saying on the Island, that visitors can leave all of their cares and worries on the Ferry – Because you can always pick them up again on the way back again!
And it does seem to be true!

There is a feeling of utter tranquillity, like getting a weight off your shoulders, simply by setting foot (or wheel) there. It is so hard to explain, and yet so profound and noticeable when you’re there in person.

We drove to the Holiday Flat which would be our home for the next 2 days, dumped off the bags (The luggage – NOT the girls!!) and took a quick tour of the Island to let everyone get a feel for where they’d be enjoying their stay!

The first question that was asked...?
“How many Pubs are there????” LOL

There are quite a few, BUT, believe it or not, we did NOT go to the pub at all during our time on the Island! (Apart from the famous “Ocean Bar” see photo below...)

TBC

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   

They stood face to face, man to man, eyeing each other up, measuring each other....

Cody

Bro.... let's face it...
it was FACE TO WAIST!!!! ROFL

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   

They stood face to face, man to man, eyeing each other up, measuring each other....

Cody

Bro.... let's face it...
it was FACE TO WAIST!!!! ROFL

You didn't have to kneel before me bro

Cody

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join