It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the biggest change in the internet since its inception

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 06:08 PM
link   
block chain technology is going to change the internet in the next few years,

decentralised DNS
decentralised HTTPS certificates
decentralised voting
distributed autonomous corporations
micro payments
rapid disaster relief
proof of digital ownership
peer to peer micro finance
crowd funding technology
on-line advertising
on-line purchases
on line consensus of opinion
remittances to poor countries
tipping for charity

truly a massive shift in how computer science can positively effect our interactions with one another

will our world change the way it operates?
will this new blockchain tool become the catalyst for a new technological revolution?

i am also interested in any conspiracies that may arise from any of these new possibilities,
AI getting rich from the unintended use of block chain technologies ect.

xploder

edit on 30/5/14 by XPLodER because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   
What an incredible hodge podge of phrases, many unrelated, and not a single one with a reference of any kind. Let's start an ATS contest and see how many three or four word phrases people can throw together.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   
here is sotoshi (gaven) getting the blockchain award for best paper,

which i personally find humorous.

blockchain technology will be everywhere is a few years, where ever there are systems of trust,
blockchain tech will be used

xploder

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: XPLodER

I am just an end user and know very little about how most of this stuff works.. The cynic in me says any changes being made is to allow the big boys to make money at the expense of people . Taxes, user fees, NSA or whoever,.... maybe some changes are needed or will be good but again the cynic voice says hold on to your wallet or expect a more controlled search parameter for us end users... You have to wonder how many internet broadcasters will eventually be effected in a negative way ? Drudge and others come to mind..

It just seems many things I hear about start off with a high sounding proper purpose but alas there is always a back door that leads to a very dark room. Maybe not enough coffee today?

edit on 30-5-2014 by 727Sky because: ..

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

the block-chain allows for decentralised consensus across untrusted parties (people who have never meet)
and allows for many other technologies, some i have listed above to get the conversation started.

how about you name one online trust based system, and i will describe the impact of blockchain technology on that system?

xploder

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

It just seems many things I hear about start off with a high sounding proper purpose but alas there is always a back door that leads to a very dark room. Maybe not enough coffee today?

i was actually asking the question,
what could be the unintended consequences of blockchain technology?

as well as giving its perceived advantages.

so please spell out your fears.

xploder

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   
The only one's I know of are the crypto currencies.
Maybe p2p is a type of blockchain?

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKWO1Phot
The only one's I know of are the crypto currencies.
Maybe p2p is a type of blockchain?

it is my belief that any trust based mechanism can be programmed to utilise blockchain tech,
like auditable voting for an example,

bitcoins are just the first APP.

network security could use blockchain tech for another example

xploder

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
What an incredible hodge podge of phrases, many unrelated, and not a single one with a reference of any kind. Let's start an ATS contest and see how many three or four word phrases people can throw together.

i thought i would give you a youtube video about the first line of my list,

decentralised DNS using a blockchain

a quick google will find many great vids on youtube

xploder

xploder

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I've not watched the videos yet, so forgive me if this is explained in them.
I've just replaced a drive in my laptop. One that I had some bitcoin and other wallets on.
So now I've re-installed some wallets and have to sync them back to the original blockchain.
For the smaller currencies this isn't too bad but for bitcoin it will most probably take 4-5 days (approx 303362 blocks 20GB).

How would they get around this for DNS, Security systems as there would be a lot more blocks to sync?

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I am into crypto currency, but only for about a year tho, most of my bitcoins went down with mtgox
right now I just have a very small mining rig running! 8 mins into the video and i still only understand 1/3 of what he is talking about ! maybe most people just dont know most of the lingo yet.

is this what they intend to use namecoins or some of the other less valuable coins on ?

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: XPLodER

how about you name one online trust based system, and i will describe the impact of blockchain technology on that system?

Internet anonymity?
Internet freedom of speech?
Internet freedom of information?

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: UKWO1Photmy litecoin wallet only took 3 days
maybe with better bitcoin servers and faster internet for people using bitcoins, 20 gig could be downed much faster?

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Kalomar

I know with bitcoins you can use the lite wallet, but would you trust an online blockchain confirming your transactions?
I don't that's why I use the core version.
If nefarious companies host the blockchain or even create a torrent (which you can download) would you trust it?

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6 en.wikipedia.org... im not sure but will that cover the last 2?

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   

I've not watched the videos yet, so forgive me if this is explained in them.

ok

I've just replaced a drive in my laptop. One that I had some bitcoin and other wallets on.
So now I've re-installed some wallets and have to sync them back to the original blockchain.
For the smaller currencies this isn't too bad but for bitcoin it will most probably take 4-5 days (approx 303362 blocks 20GB).

some wallets are not full clients, ie they do not need to have the blockchain downloaded to be useable, it depends on your requirements, and weather you are mining

How would they get around this for DNS, Security systems as there would be a lot more blocks to sync?

the blocks would also contain much less actual DATA, but as the .bit naming system grows so too does the block chain.

for a DNS resolver you (in theory) would not be required to download your own blockchain,
just reach any number of existing copies with a wallet client, currently you have to download the entire chain

there would be some sort of decentralised node network where you can randomly "pick" a node to supply DNS entry returns.

i suspect a browser add on may be in the works

namecoin

xploder

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kalomar
I am into crypto currency, but only for about a year tho, most of my bitcoins went down with mtgox
right now I just have a very small mining rig running! 8 mins into the video and i still only understand 1/3 of what he is talking about ! maybe most people just dont know most of the lingo yet.

is this what they intend to use namecoins or some of the other less valuable coins on ?

yes namecoin could decentralise the DNS infrastructure, making it always reachable and less prone to attack from hackers

xploder

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: XPLodER

Internet anonymity?
Internet freedom of speech?
Internet freedom of information?

internet anoymity = twister twister.net.co...
internet freedom of speach = twister twister.net.co...
internet freedom of information = i dont know

xploder

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   

I know with bitcoins you can use the lite wallet, but would you trust an online blockchain confirming your transactions?
I don't that's why I use the core version.
If nefarious companies host the blockchain or even create a torrent (which you can download) would you trust it?

i would use the core bitcoin code with amoury, bitcoinarmory.com...
run on ubuntu www.ubuntu.com...
or
tails OS tails.boum.org... (note tails does not store any extra data, you must ensure that you back up your keys EVERY TIME you do ANYTHING, YOU WILL HAVE TO LOAD YOUR AMOURY EXE EVERY TIME AND BACKUP EVERYTIME)

i would download the blockchain data from peers in the network rather than torrent

and move a copy (blockchain)over to my second operating system for use with an offline wallet

here is a video describing bitcoin armoury on tails (very advanced)

vimeo.com...

and here for ubuntu (less advanced)

or use a lite client on android

play.google.com...

but it depends on what you are doing and how much security you require?

xploder

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   

and

a reply to: XPLodER

I admit to being somewhat out of my element in regards to network technology, so my concerns may be baseless. I just have read enough about issues like the Silk Road takedown, bitcoin theft from that one bitcoin "bank manager" (don't know how else to describe the guy), and the general fact that while Bitcoin claims anonymity, the blocks where the transaction data is stored is fully open. I just don't understand how that works. It seems to me like you can either have data safety and anonymity or you can have transaction transparency, but not both.

My other issue revolves around the fact that, regardless of what proxy DNS you're using or so-called "Deep-Web" you're directing your information through, on the ends you're still using some manner of regulated ISP. I don't think the FBI stumbled upon the Silk Road, I think they simply waited a few blocks away from it, watched people go down the street with full wallets, and then watched them return with bags full of stuff... so to speak. That's not going to change. The ISPs will continue to serve as government watchdogs and censors. If anything, I see the open transparency of this block chain stuff to serve as an even more accurate tool for agencies to track online activities of an individual over multiple networks.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join