It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Appearances Experiment

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   
YouTube video.

Not sure how to imbed from my iphone.

In this video you will see a man dressed down in bum attire cough and fall over for five minutes and get ignored by everyone. In the next segment you will see someone dressed in what is deemed appropriate attire get help immediately.

I enjoy this video because it shows our true identity as a species.

This is part of the problem and attributes to some of the reasons as to why we experience things like mass killings at beautiful colleges around the country.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I saw this a while ago. It is making the rounds on facebook.

It is a bit unfair to make judgments about "us as a species", because it is well-known that people judge others on appearances and they have expectations based on certain characteristics.

To see a guy dressed like a bum would make one think that falling down drunk is a normal state for him to be in, and requires no assistance as he placed himself in that predicament.

Seeing a guy in a suit fall down would make one think that he is having a medical emergency, since falling down drunks aren't normally well-dressed or well-groomed.

edit on 30-5-2014 by ScientiaFortisDefendit because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientiaFortisDefendit

To see a guy dressed like a bum would make one think that falling down drunk is a normal state for him to be in, and requires no assistance as he placed himself in that predicament.

Seeing a guy in a suit fall down would make one think that he is having a medical emergency, since falling down drunks aren't normally well-dressed or well-groomed.

You just made the point the OP was trying to make!!

Condemnation without investigation.

www.youtube.com...

edit on 30-5-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

That is a blanket statement. Why do people have this perception of 'bums'? Could it be because they are constantly asking for money, reeking of alcohol a lot of the time? Could it be that they are frequently seen asleep/passed out on various public benches and sidewalks? No?

Whenever you see a stretch of sidewalk with 5 or 6 homeless guys on it, some laid out on the ground, do you go "Oh my GOD, there is something wrong with that man!"

No, you do not. It is a common sight.

How many times do you see a guy in a clean suit and fresh haircut passed out on a park bench or asking you for spare change?

This is nothing but more liberal guilt.

edit on 30-5-2014 by ScientiaFortisDefendit because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
YouTube video.

I enjoy this video because it shows our true identity as a species.

This is part of the problem and attributes to some of the reasons as to why we experience things like mass killings at beautiful colleges around the country.

No, it doesn't, nor does it have anything at all to do with mass killings at beautiful colleges. There's no relationship whatsoever. In the last "killing" a 'beautiful person' in a 'beautiful BMW' killed other 'beautiful people.' Appearance, bum or otherwise, had nothing to do with it.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Did not watch the video but the responses of ats members make me wonder what we are.

People are to be treated equally regardless of their race, sex or financial income. It is not your place or job to judge others.

edit on 30-5-2014 by minusinfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Unfortunately, people are not treated equally, and that is nature. Liberals would have you think that everyone is equal like robot penguins, but that just isn't the case.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Unfortunately, people are not treated equally, and that is nature. Liberals would have you think that everyone is equal like robot penguins, but that just isn't the case.

So you're saying people aren't equal? Some people are somehow better than other people? Your comments are cringe-worthy.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: minusinfinity
Did not watch the video but the responses of ats members make me wonder what we are.

People are to be treated equally regardless of their race, sex or financial income. It is not your place or job to judge others.

Oh, but it IS our job! You may be confusing Civil Rights laws related to employment and housing with personal survival. We, including you, judge people every day. The first thing we do is judge the propensity of someone else to harm us. So what do we do? Avoid places where we think it is more likely for us to fall into harm's way. We stay within our comfort zone. But let us posit a scenario:

You are walking down a city street and coming toward you is a well-dressed man in a clean suit & tie, with a briefcase in one hand. You observe this as he is walking toward you and what do you decide? Well, you decide it is unlikely that he poses a threat to you, right? How many well-dressed men with more money in their suit than you have in your wallet are going to pose some sort of threat to you? It's possible, surely, but unlikely.

Now envision the very same scenario with a poorly dressed man with a five-day growth of beard in torn, dirty clothes, stumbling toward you. What do you decide? I would think you would go to red alert pretty readily. This person is behaving strangely in a decidedly abnormal way. Now MAYBE he's just been mowing his lawn and is having a heart attack. Or maybe he's a real threat.

Are you telling me that you are going to treat both men in precisely the same way and that you aren't going to judge them?

Poppycock! You'd be crazy to. Your best course of action would be to put some serious distance between yourself and the person acting strangely, especially if you were a woman because you would be more vulnerable in the first place. You want to talk about their rights? How about we talk about your right to stay alive and unmolested? The fact is you judge people all the time. You are delusional if you claim you do not. Of course you do. Put into the scenario in this video you wouldn't act any differently.

originally posted by: theantediluvian

So you're saying people aren't equal? Some people are somehow better than other people? Your comments are cringe-worthy.

People are "equal in the eyes of the law," or "equal before God" or "of equal worth as human beings," but otherwise, no, and no one said anything about "better." YOU ADDED that word because of your own prejudice. See how that works? You're not immune. But some people are more DANGEROUS than others, and that's a fact. It's up to you to discern the difference, and if you guess wrong, you are eligible for the Darwin Award.

edit on 5/30/2014 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Read what I posted - I said "people are not treated equally".

Do not put words in my mouth. Your attempt to do so is cringe-worthy.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Yeah, because a guy in the suit is somehow harmless because he's wearing a suit. That's all it takes? A suit? Pretty ridiculous. When I look at the world, it seems to me that the guys in the suits do the MOST harm.

Personally, had I seen the guy collapse — jeans or suit — I would have approached him. Busy sidewalk, broad daylight? Why would that be crazy?

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Yeah, because a guy in the suit is somehow harmless because he's wearing a suit. That's all it takes? A suit? Pretty ridiculous. When I look at the world, it seems to me that the guys in the suits do the MOST harm.

Don't be ridiculous! You're telling me if you see the well-dressed guy in a suit coming toward you that you feel personally threatened? Utter nonsense. Of course you don't. You may have your own prejudices about lawyers or politicians in suits robbing you with a fountain pen, but they'll do it from the air conditioned suite of offices. To suggest the well-dressed guy in a suit is going to put you in harm's way on the street is nonsense and you know it. You're not being credible.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Read what I posted - I said "people are not treated equally".

Do not put words in my mouth. Your attempt to do so is cringe-worthy.

Liberals would have you think that everyone is equal like robot penguins, but that just isn't the case.

You said it.

People are "equal in the eyes of the law," or "equal before God" or "of equal worth as human beings," but otherwise, no, and no one said anything about "better." YOU ADDED that word because of your own prejudice. See how that works? You're not immune. But some people are more DANGEROUS than others, and that's a fact. It's up to you to discern the difference, and if you guess wrong, you are eligible for the Darwin Award.

What? He clearly said that "liberals would have you think people are equal." I didn't add a word because of "prejudice." That's what he said. I'm sorry that you're afraid of people because of how they're dressed. I get a little nervous when I see people in public with rifles. Would this make you nervous?

How about this?

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Don't be ridiculous! You're telling me if you see the well-dressed guy in a suit coming toward you that you feel personally threatened? Utter nonsense. Of course you don't.

No. I'm not saying that at all. I don't feel threatened by people based on a snap judgement of their socioeconomic standing. That's ridiculous. Bustling sidewalk in broad daylight? The guy coughed loudly and collapsed. Why is your first instinct is to pretend not to see that person and walk away as quickly as possible? Watching the video again, I cannot help but think you're coming up with excuses to not get involved.

Do you imagine that somebody else will do the right thing or are you just not particularly concerned that somebody might be dying on the sidewalk in front of you as long as he's not wearing a suit?

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   

What? He clearly said that "liberals would have you think people are equal." I didn't add a word because of "prejudice." That's what he said. I'm sorry that you're afraid of people because of how they're dressed. I get a little nervous when I see people in public with rifles. Would this make you nervous?

You can't change your own history. You said this:

YOU, not anyone else, added the phrase: "Some people are somehow better than other people?"

That was NOT in the original quote. The word "better" was added by none other than YOU. That represents your own prejudice because the original poster said nothing of the sort. Why are you willfully misrepresenting your own quote as well as that of the person you originally responded to? You're not being credible here. You're not only accusing other people of saying something they did not, you're claiming you did not say something you did.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   

No. I'm not saying that at all. I don't feel threatened by people based on a snap judgement of their socioeconomic standing. That's ridiculous. Bustling sidewalk in broad daylight? The guy coughed loudly and collapsed. Why is your first instinct is to pretend not to see that person and walk away as quickly as possible? Watching the video again, I cannot help but think you're coming up with excuses to not get involved.

Do you imagine that somebody else will do the right thing or are you just not particularly concerned that somebody might be dying on the sidewalk in front of you as long as he's not wearing a suit?

We're talking two different scenarios here. You're talking about the video. I was replying to the idea that people claimed to not make prejudicial judgments with a scenario that showed they actually do. It's apples and oranges. If that's a disconnect for you, well then, so is the Op's riff on beautiful colleges. That has no relevance at all.

But even with this video experiment, the PURPOSE is to make a giant leap of faith that the two people are exactly the same, therefore any difference in reaction is due to "prejudice." It's not as if these guys didn't know what was going to happen. By definition, they did and expected it. They WANTED to show "how callous people are to each other" so they made sure their design was maximized to find it. These weren't random people.

But it all depends on perception. It's not as if normal people coming upon the scene see THE SAME THING at all. For one they see a drunk passed out. For the other they see a potential medical emergency. Could the two be mixed-up? Sure, of course they could. But given what we've seen on the streets, that's the assumption people will react to. If they both had a neon sign that said, "I'm having a medical emergency" hanging from them you wouldn't see the varied reaction.

Now you are saying you are such a good and reasonable and non-prejudiced person and such a good example of what is right in the world that YOU would naturally "help" in this situation. Well, that's what you say from the comfort of your easy chair, but there's no real proof your claim is valid. It's an easy claim to make and you can feel good about yourself for making it. Gee, what a fine person you are! Not like those (shudder) "others" you love to hate. (oh, wait....)

Do this in India and see what happens. You touch the guy and you are RESPONSIBLE for him. Good luck with that. So are Indians worse people than Americans? It's not that simple, is it?

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Personally, had I seen the guy collapse — jeans or suit — I would have approached him. Busy sidewalk, broad daylight? Why would that be crazy?

Does that mean if you were running a successful business and needed to
employ an accountant and you had the choice of a clean tidy suited
(not designer label) man OR someone who hadn't shaved, grubby shirt
looked as if he had slept in his suit - equal qualifications - you would give
the latter the job

You needed someone as 'front of business' (reception/customer service)
the first applicant a woman pleasant, clean glossy hair ordinary dress
(clean and well pressed) polished shoes OR someone with BO, button
missing off shirt, scuffed heels, untidy hair and brusque manner - again
equal qualifications - which one would get the job

Doesn't everyone set their stall out
to be the best and achieve the best

If you go for an interview, or on a date you don't make an effort
If
you don't ... I think that's disrespectful to others, and lacking self respect!

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 02:01 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

What I means is that humans are not all identical in every way like penguins. You look at an iceberg full of penguins and they all look identical. Even if humans were all identical, people would find some way to discriminate - where someone was born, what their name is, whatever. Stop trying to pretend that people don't judge others.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 02:28 AM
link   
The idea that appearences play no part, have no relevance, in the reactions you get from others is simply ridiculous.
To say that generalizations should be ignored as invalid is just plain illogical.

If 85% of males wearing dingy clothes, looking as if they have not bathed in months, hanging out on city streets are drunk and passing out, and refusing intervention from strangers,

It is logical and rational to consider that the first possibility when one sees such a character who seems to be drunk and passing out.

Sure, keeping in mind that exceptions to every generalization exist, and there is a small percentage of chance that this case is different, can be useful. But if there is no hint that this is that exception, it is not inhuman that it is not perceived.

I am supportive of remaining sensitive and alert to the tiny details that can let us know when things or others are not as they seem... I will admit that some of my own ways of dealing with strangers serve as a filtering method to determine who has that sort of sensitivity and who doesn't. I hide some parts of myself at first, and those that pick up on them anyway show to have a developed "antenna". But that only serves me to help me know who I want to develop relation with more or not. NOT to determine who is a better or more caring human!

Lots of people would be very concerned and actively help that man if they recognized that he was not a bum who will refuse aid and intervention. It is not because they were tricked by the appearences that they are not good and caring people.

I'll tell you what- Being a hypersensitive person myself, (who often does see beyond appearences) I think there is great benefit to being a bit less sensitive! I think there are valuable roles and activities that require a higher level of insensitivity to detail and subtility. Having that sensitive antenna causes things like prolongued cortisol production, causing havoc in the body and mind.

I think the world needs all kinds, and that includes people who rely on appearences, dealign with the most superficial levels of existence, as well as those who are "deeper" and interacting with the less obvious parts of life.

I'll even turn this puppy around and suggest-

Assuming that those who don't react and come to this mans aid are uncaring and inhumaine,
is relying upon appearences to make your judgements of others!!!

So if you are doing that, what you gonna do? Is your assumption, pulled from appearences, a product of you being an inconsiderate human who considers some people 'better' than others?

edit on 1-6-2014 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 03:03 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

It's worth watching and could be interpreted through several psychological dispositions we share as social creatures. The first that springs to mind is bystander apathy which is whereby individuals do nothing because nobody else is doing anything - they're all waiting for a call to action. It isn't clear that that's occurring here as fewer than 1 in 10 slow down.

Deindividuation argues that individuals can lose their self-awareness in crowds. By extension, this could potentially lead to neglecting the morality we have as people. Similarly, herd behaviour can play its part.

The notion of 'herds' reminded me of a nature documentary when a small herd of deer (or whatever) were stalked by wolves and eventually left behind one of their number that had an abscessed tooth and was weaker. The wolves ate the deer and the herd could move faster. Perhaps that ancient, biological impetus is being expressed in the video? If asked *why* the passers-by might fall back on political justifications.

Following on from that idea of 'herd,' it might explain why the suited guy gets the help. *If* he represented the average population within that district, he'd attract the protection of the herd. The 'bum' in their midst, offers no incentive by stopping to help.

In my view, the video doesn't offer a good reflection on society and yet day after day people do help others. They do it against the peer pressure of crowds, against bystander apathy and do it for personal morality. Of course, they also do it from biological impetus too.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join