It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Restaurant Bans Gay Couple Because ‘We Do Not Like Fags’

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   
double post again.
edit on 13Sat, 31 May 2014 13:24:34 -050014p012014566 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

/sigh

Yes, there are meanings of the word "discriminate" which include the simple choices we make everyday.

"Am I having the coffee or the tea with breakfast? The tea? Fine." (Coffee was discriminated against; poor coffee.)

In this case, we are of course not discussing the simple choice of one thing or quality over another, but of human beings and American citizens being called hateful names and told they shouldn't come back to a restaurant because of their innate characteristics.

There's a difference between the two meanings of the word, yes?

Now that we've cleared that up, there's no question that in Texas at this time, people CAN BE discriminated against based on sexual orientation because, hey, it's only 2014 and obviously we don't have to do what's right (treat everyone fairly regardless of the law) unless we're made to do so. (This, by the by, is the inherent flaw in a libertarian paradise, but I digress).

You've introduced a string of hypotheticals that I have no opinion on without more details. I personally dont' think guns in restaurants are a good idea, and I'm not sure what you're implying by taking my comment about "loud" people out of context.

SHOULD the folks in Texas act this way and treat paying customers like this? Of course not. It's bad for business, in the long run, because there is no doubt that social and cultural trends are in favor of inclusion and equal treatment.

Equal treatment of American citizens before the law is not an "opinion." The unpleasant characteristics you toss into your examples like stacks of red herring really mean nothing to me. I can conceive of equally obnoxious situations with examples that you'd probably find completely acceptable. That's generally called "stacking the deck."

Anyone who does not see that this facility (Big Earls) feels like it's well within its rights to discriminate against gays and lesbians (the "men as men and women as women" bit on the front door) is simply and willfully trying not to see it. Its as obvious as Big Earl's Daughter dropping another "f bomb" without even batting an eye, likely.

Beyond that, I'm not sure why you would "jump around screaming gay discrimination" ... are you gay? If not, you probably don't have any skin in the game.

It's a different matter when it's you and your family who are subject to being treated like dirt with impunity.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: HandyDandy

originally posted by: Annee
LGBT protection is only in areas where someone made the effort for it to happen.

And this restaurant owner may have just shot himself and his community in the foot because now they will definitely be on the radar to change the laws there.

Very possible.

That's a good thing.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Has anyone given thought to the idea that maybe this owner doesn't have a video? Meaning, some businesses place fake cams for a sense of security to ward off problems. If he were to state to the public the cams were fake it could cause further problems for him down the road...rather than admit to fake cams, it is easier to just say he won't release the video...just a thought?

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo
I think the restaurant deserves whatever bad publicity
it gets.

Why do I say they deserve it?

They said, 'We don't like fags"

Not only is that a derogatory term, but it's also
discriminating.

For example, what if they said to a black couple

"We don't like Niggers"

But then make a statement to the press for damage
control later saying, "...but blacks are welcome to eat here"...?

They deserve what they get.

Rebel 5

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero
Just like the clothing you wear and the behaviors we feel like doing... meet the establishment's standards and all is good.

And if the establishment's standards is "no guns", then that's the rules.

The gay couple was welcomed but their behavior was not...so it seems, otherwise they would not have made it past the front door much less eat.

They probably weren't wearing shirts that say, "I'm gay. Ask me how"... They were just two guys who ate at a restaurant. It was only after Big Earl (or little Earla) saw their pda that they were told to not bother returning and disparaged with a slur.

I have suspicions that Earl is not showing the video because it would reveal his bigotry.
edit on 5/31/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: abeverage

I make the same point about Christians all the time, they are hypocrites and using bigotry in Jesus's name is probably the biggest sin you can do. If you believe they are living in sin then as a christian you should show compassion and pray for their soul. Jesus harboured no hate for anyone and had so much compassion for sinners and their plight that he sacrificed himself to help redeem their souls.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
My intent is not to press anyone's buttons, but to show affection to my husband. If someone doesn't like it, they can look the other way.

There ya' go.
People have a right to expect others to mind their own business. Whether its you guys smooching, or gay guys playing footsie, or others have conversations that are no one else's business. Everyone needs to mind their own business ... live and let live.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

If someone is offended by my husband and I kissing and wishes to report it to the city council, that's their business. My point is that I'm going to do it and my intent is not to offend anyone.

There's a big difference between my husband and I kissing and an elected official using a racial slur.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   

There's a big difference between my husband and I kissing and an elected official using a racial slur.

And you don't think that you both have the same right to expect people to mind their own business? A married couple canoodling has a higher right to privacy then a person having a conversation? Interesting. (and I didn't specify 'elected official' ... although if it were Obama having a conversation in a restaurant wouldn't you expect that he should be able to do so without people butting in? )

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
And you don't think that you both have the same right to expect people to mind their own business?

That's not what I said. We both have equal rights:

I have the right to kiss my husband.
Police Commissioner Copeland has the right to call the president a racial slur.

If ANYONE in the restaurant is offended and wishes to complain about either issue, they have the right to do so.
They also have the option of minding their own business.

But NEITHER action (kissing or speaking one's mind) should be made illegal because someone is offended by it.

A married couple canoodling has a higher right to privacy then a person having a conversation?

NEITHER has the right to privacy when they're in a public place.

if it were Obama having a conversation in a restaurant wouldn't you expect that he should be able to do so without people butting in? )

He has the same expectation of privacy in a public place as anyone. NONE!

You're trying to make it appear as though I'm applying different standards to the situations, but I am not. Better luck next time!

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: mclarenmp4
a reply to: abeverage

I make the same point about Christians all the time, they are hypocrites and using bigotry in Jesus's name is probably the biggest sin you can do. If you believe they are living in sin then as a christian you should show compassion and pray for their soul. Jesus harboured no hate for anyone and had so much compassion for sinners and their plight that he sacrificed himself to help redeem their souls.

That is possibly the the best advert for christianity I've ever read.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   

You're trying to make it appear as though I'm applying different standards to the situations, but I am not.

I'm not trying anything. I'm asking ... and yes, it did look like different standards. But you further explained it with this so you just covered it -

But NEITHER action (kissing or speaking one's mind) should be made illegal because someone is offended by it.

Either everyone can expect that they have a right to their own business in a restaurant ... or no one can expect it. No one gets special treatment one way or the other. A married heterosexual couple gets no special privacy treatment more than a homosexual couple. Benevolent Heretic has as much right to a conversation without buttinskis as Obama does. It's all or nothing.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   
So gays the new racism?? Gotta yea lol
edit on 31-5-2014 by blackz28 because: doooh

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   
duplicate post
edit on 31-5-2014 by blackz28 because: sorry

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   
So could I go there with my partner and pretend to be straight?

I can act pretty straight - I also like burgers and think Ron Swanson is one of the best friggin' characters ever.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Floydshayvious

Uhhh, why, exactly would you want to?

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Anything to avoid spit on a good burger.

As for my partner - I can say he's mute or something.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Fair enough. I just get a bit nervous about the state legislating against such actions. Sure, it's all well and good to empower the state to make behaviors that we dislike such as prejudice illegal, but in doing so we make laws and precedent that empowers the state to ban behaviors we like or at least don't mind. It smells of thought police, and that is something I don't think the government should be involved in.

Sure, it may mean that some asshole may not want to serve me because I am of mixed race, but I'm free to take my business elsewhere, tell everyone not to do business with him, and even picket if I feel like wasting some time. Part of a free society is the need to tolerate some jerks because preserving freedom of thought and association is more important.

I think a Jewish man, for example should have the right to refuse service to a Nazi or a black man refuse service to the KKK if they want. I would hope you would agree that they should have that right.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Floydshayvious
So could I go there with my partner and pretend to be straight?

I can act pretty straight - I also like burgers and think Ron Swanson is one of the best friggin' characters ever.

Sure. Just make sure and do real man stuff so you don't get found out.

Stuff like scratching your balls, burp out loud, maybe rip a fart and laugh about it. Make sure to address the waitress as , "Pretty little thang" and invite her to "take a seat over here on daddies lap."

Wear some dirty jeans and cowboy boots that are all dusty and the biggest belt buckle you can find with an eagle on it.

You know stuff like that.

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join