It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone working at a job you don't like? Or a job you truly love?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Teacher's aide at a preschool. Best job ever.

Seriously, if the worst part of my day is getting glitter all over me, or paint, or mud, that's a great job. I love it.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Destinyone

I really like that spice metaphor...

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Thisbseth

Oh yes, my first time ever seeing a tilted kilt was in Denver when I was about 16...Fell in love.

But that's a great pact to make. I appreciate the advice and I wish you luck on your travels! Hopefully you find what you're looking for as well!

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   
It's great seeing how many people actually love their jobs! It is giving me hope...every summer until now I worked with people who were miserable (Maybe that's because I worked at Home Depot) which led me to assume everyone dreaded working in life.

A lot of the advice you're giving me is really hitting home as well...I just wish it were easier to find what it is you truly want to do for the rest of your life.

I hope people continue commenting on this thread! I'd really appreciate as many stories and as much advice as possible
edit on 28-5-2014 by Honestabe28 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Honestabe28

I'm in my twenties, and have already worked a handful of jobs in my field as a software engineer. Currently, I'm on my third paying job, and I for the most part like what I'm doing.

How I got there was simple - Back in HS, I was taught several programming languages in 9th grade; but I was actually learning some of them as early as 6th grade. Immediately after graduating, I jumped straight into college for a 2-year degree (biggest waste of my money; I won all my jobs over with my HS skills; I cared less about the degree).

What landed me where I am now was I applied for the free internships and many low-paying jobs (including one that I quit because not only did they put me in a cubical away from everyone else, but they hired someone full time doing the same work I was doing as an intern...not a good policy if they want to keep employees). I loved those jobs because I was able to learn, and there weren't that many people that applied, because well, it was free.

Just an FYI though - although your parents do know best...There are some things you need to trust your own intuition on. For example, I knew that the college I went to was a disaster, but it was the shortest line between me not having a job to me having a job in my field. You don't know what will happen unless you try it.
-fossilera

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 09:29 PM
link   

You as well good sir! You'll find what your looking for. As I am also looking, and loving every minute of it =p

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I'm 22, high school drop out felon, glad to even have a job and on a good day I love it. working on becoming middle management, and it's looking up. which is good because i can barely pay my bills as it is.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 01:18 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12
Olaru, New Mexico here. If I got the gist of your link right, upu caught a break in the film industry here?
Do you still work in NM?

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Hey yall. Heres my job experience.
From the ages of 15-19 I was living on the government beneficiary in NZ in a small country town.(im a kiwi). Around 17-19 I lived in town but spent every day out in the bush, rain snow or shine. I came into town every night and cared for a disabled boy, whilst being paid a small amount for it, this I did for the love and because I wanted to help.

I went dairy farming for about 9months, which was fun at the time, although I was working insane hours. Getting on the quad bike to start work at 3am and getting home at about 7-8 pm! With a hour for breakfast, lunch and afternoon.
The pay was good enough, about 450NZD per week, but the hours were long and the roster was 6days on 2 days off so my weekends were unsynch to everybody else.

After that I went down and lived with a mate for a couple months before moving to australia when I was 19. My father rang me one day out of the blue, after a few years of not talking, and said to me that I have a job in Australia if I want it, working in a factory boxing bottles.

I took the plunge and moved, and after about 2 months of working in the factory I started getting pay rises and different jobs, I started blending herbicides and pesticides and doing jobs that nobody wanted to do. Its my work ethic to do the best I can and never say no, no matter how crap it is.

Well because I went hard at what I was doing, after about 6 months and 2 payrises, the boss asked for me to get trained up running an Aerosol Manufacturing line.

I have been doing this for 2 and half years now and I absolutly LOVE MY JOB!!!. Its technical and problem solving, fast paced and always on the go. Im a real hands on person and love leadership roles, and now I am running four main machines and organizing upto 5 staff members. Its great and I often joke with my boss that I do my job for the love not money, and to be honest If I was supplied with a place to live and food in my belly I would 100% with out a doubt go to work for free

Some people have a VERY hard time understanding me when I say this, really most people reckon Im lying, but seriously I love what I do and every day I just stand back in awe at how lucky I am to be doing something that fills every part of my personality, even when I have been going through major crisis as soon as I step foot in my work, everything changes, my personality becomes positive and happy and focused. The most disturbing and mentally exhausting things can be happening to me and once Im working nothing else matters, It is my rock that has kept me together through some pretty tough times. I really dont know where I would be if I wasnt doing what I am now.

Every morning before work I go into my boss office and thank him for the amazing oppurtunity he has given me and how much working means to me. I just cant explain it enough. I have never met another person talk about thier job this way so I really want to hear your stories.

I LOVE MY JOB!!!!

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   
30 Years old. I have been a police officer for about 10 years.

At first I loved my job. Now I despise it. I despise it because of the stress, the long hours, the lack of money, the danger and the way I am treated and viewed by people.

I currently have 15 classes left to finish my Bachelor's degree in Business Administration. As soon as I am done the job search will begin.

At this point in my life I would shovel elephant feces if it paid enough to cover the bills.

Ultimately I would like to work in private security/risk management. Perhaps for Harris, Grumman, Disney, Carnival/Royal Caribbean. I would also be interested in working for a firearms or firearms accessory company.

I guess what gets me through the day is the fact that I am the bread winner for my family. They are my number one priority.

That being said, I am counting the seconds remaining until I can put this career behind me.

Cool thread.
edit on 29-5-2014 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: kkrattiger
a reply to: olaru12
Olaru, New Mexico here. If I got the gist of your link right, upu caught a break in the film industry here?
Do you still work in NM?

Yes, mainly. Sometimes however I do video auditions and get cast in Cal, Texas or Louisiana.
Besides acting, I also have a small production company mainly shooting TV pilots and movie teasers for other producers.

edit on 29-5-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I love my job, and the events that led to me getting it are pure luck. That being said, there were plenty of job I disliked along the way.

I am not motivated by money, but we live comfortably. Happy job, happy home, happy life.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I'm a Sports Massage Therapist and love it. I travel the world with my team, own my private practice and have my clients at home too. There is nothing more satisfying that helping people recover from injuries, and helping my athletes win a Gold medal. I get hourly job satisfaction, and not many people can say that.

With that said.... I WAS.... last year. And then my team fell apart, my business had to close because the economy finally caught up with me, and now I'm working at a desk job and have nightmares. I went from making very good money, to being $700 behind in my checking account, doing something I am ok with because I'm still helping people... but don't love. (helping retirees transition into their individual health insurance plans after their group insurance is ending)

When you go from being so incredibly happy every single day - to wishing you didn't have to get out of bed.... it's gut wrenching.... but temporary.

Major changes have arisen recently in my life, and I'm actually going to give it all up to move to Florida and open a restaurant.
I can say though, I'm one of the few people who have done everything they wanted to. When I was 13 I knew I was going to be a massage therapist. Done. I also knew I wanted to act and sing.... both of which I have done (not at the level I would like, but that is a different story). And lastly, I wanted to open a restaurant. And that will be happening early next year.

If there is one thing I've learned, it's to always open your own doors. And make sure to leave a wedge in the doors closing behind you.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: FinalAccount2008

Keep your head up, and keep working hard no matter how $h*ty things are right now you'll get ahead of it.

I have faith in you brotha

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: TorqueyThePig

Being a police officer used to be such a respectable job. It was a damn honor to put that badge and uniform on...It's sad how things have changed. I know many police officers and always aspired to be one until recently.

I hope you're able to make the switch and find a job that suits your needs with as little difficulty as possible. Hang in there sir!

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I don't work and have not worked for the past 21 years but I can and will add to your thread.
My health requires a person to be here in the mornings whilst I shower.
This is temporary I hope and so we put out a SOS on our local want ads site.

Right away we received a reply from a Nursing student going into her third year of 4 to become an RN, then she is going back to upgrade to become a NP (Nurse Practitioner)

Talk about happy about her choice!.....she is so happy it makes me smile and for me to smile right now takes some effort.

I just wanted to share this with you all, my helper may beg to differ but she will never know, its healthy to be looking at this from other than her perspective.

It's almost contagious how happy she is!
S&F
Regards, Iwinder

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   
In my fave job ever at the mo

Looking after people with learning disabilities, today we had a 30th for one of them and he loves balloons and we got so many for him to pop
plus everyone dancing and just having a great time
...it doesnt feel like work sometimes.
The pay is one of the worst I ever had but I learnt a long time ago to do a job that makes you happy and life is a little bit easier and better
...plus you may live a little longer.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: TorqueyThePig

Good to find a serving leo online i would like to ask you how do you feel when you see or read about officer's going crazy on the public beating's and shootings etc .

good luck with the exam's

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 10:50 PM
link   

thanks bro, that really means alot to me, and I will. only thing you can do sometimes is keep on keepin on

next round's on me!

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Thank you my friend. I am trying my hardest to facilitate the change.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join