It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-ANALYSIS: US Referral of Iran to Security Council Alone?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Iranian President Mohammad Khatami claims that its successful negotiation with the IAEA was a "...definate defeat of our enemies who wanted to pressure Iran by sending its case to the U.N. Security Council." But U.S. envoy Jackie Sanders told the IAEA's Board of Governors that the US reserved the right to refer Iran to the Security Council for economic sanctions alone- a move which will likely face strong opposition from Council members Russia and China. In addition she also issued a strong warning to multinational companies exporting weapons-related equipment to Iran under the threat of US-imposed economic burdens.

www.reuters.com
VIENNA (Reuters) - Iran escaped U.N. censure over its nuclear program but Washington, which accuses it of seeking an atomic bomb, said on Monday it reserved the right to take the case to the Security Council on its own.

The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), a U.N. watchdog, passed a resolution approving Iran's week-old suspension of sensitive nuclear activities as part of a deal between Tehran and the European Union.

"This resolution which was approved by the IAEA was a definite defeat for our enemies who wanted to pressure Iran by sending its case to the U.N. Security Council," President Mohammad Khatami was quoted by state radio as saying.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Should the US undertake such a move to refer Iran alone, I personally think they'd be wasting their time trying to secure economic sanctions on Iran via this route. The opposition they would face would be staggering, especially after all these countries have spent so much time and effort on this deal. While the US has not had much say in the deal, it is not necessarily a defeat diplomatically for the US, since it's apparent goal may already have been achieved for now. I for one am glad that the other countries are actually doing something about it, lifting some of the burden off the US.

Related News Links:
story.news.yahoo.com
www.alertnet.org
www.globalpolicy.org

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
WAR: US General Warns Iran

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Sanctions do not work. Look at the mounting evidence that France and others to be fair sold weapons to the Iraqi's up to the eve of the war. Going it alone simply will not work at all. Good article TA

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Im getting sick of hearing the U.S threataning people (i agree N.K could be a problem, but i hear their leader Jim Kong 2 is it? has been removed from power) and letting the eastern people believe that the U.S represent the whole of the west and its people

While i dont exacly like the EU's "cowardly" approch (in my opinion) to internation and national matters eather, least they try to solve matters without publicly intentionaly provoking other countries

Iran has done nothing illigal and it would be suicide if Iran did start launching nukes, maby they actualy do want to have nuclear power like other countries do. maby they wanna catch up and prove themselfs that they are not just the "far infereor-Tech Sand camel riding people" that the middle east are refered to in western films

If they do have Nuclear Energy you can guess that the U.S wont be so quick to try and force them into submition, maby they will actualy get some respect and be treated like the U.S expects themselfs to be treated

Isreal has nukes and the only reason that is because its U.S backed, also how come that if it is an U.S ally they are all a sudden "legally" even if they turn a blind eye to them being created without the consent of anyone else, allowed nuclear power? (excluding China and Russia) But when its any other country who submit it to try and agree about wether they are allowed to have Nuclear Energys all a sudden its "Not Allowed" or "Hostile" when the U.S dont agree

From what i gather Isreals government dont really want peace unless its THEIR version of peace with their rules, as Isreal has the majority of the "playing cards" so to speak with backing from "international" powers and also the tech and weapons, also when they attack everyone just complains but dont do anything about it, however there are 2 sides of every story, of couse i could be wrong

Its not the U.S i have a problem with its hows they represent the "International policy" and that reflects what people think about the U.S, the rest of the West and its people as the ones who issue the policys are seen as the representatives

[edit on 30-11-2004 by Crash]

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Well, what a bloody surprize, the EU has done a deal with iran so supposely iran will suspend all enrichment process
, yeah right, and G W bush is god father to osma bin laden kids lol lol lol

if the US decide to take iran to the security council for sactions, i argee with the previous post that they would get no were fast as France,germany and other non friendly countries would block any sanctions just because it would piss bush off and we all know how the UN view the US and her allies( well mainly just the US and UK)

Iran will play games with the UN and the EU untill such time as it has a working nuke and test it's in the middle of the desert, then too late, they have nukes and will sit back and put their fingers up to the world.

what can the US do when they have alienated the rest of the secuirty council over iraq

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Screw sanctons I say we just start bombing them. Dont send in any ground troops, dont worry about reconstructon, just bomb and building in the country taller than one story, and obliterate the infrastucture, oil fields, power generators, TV towers, radio towers, everything. Take out all the airports, all the jets, all the planes, all the cars, and just dont let anyone in or out for 5-10 years. Destroy any vestige of modern technology, seal tghe borders and let them live like thier ancestors for a decade or so. Then when we finaaly allow them to start rebuilding they wont be quite so twitchy.

Sep

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by mwm1331
Screw sanctons I say we just start bombing them. Dont send in any ground troops, dont worry about reconstructon, just bomb and building in the country taller than one story, and obliterate the infrastucture, oil fields, power generators, TV towers, radio towers, everything. Take out all the airports, all the jets, all the planes, all the cars, and just dont let anyone in or out for 5-10 years. Destroy any vestige of modern technology, seal tghe borders and let them live like thier ancestors for a decade or so. Then when we finaaly allow them to start rebuilding they wont be quite so twitchy.

And I say we put you, your family and anyone who you care for in straight in down town tehran before the bombings begin. "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

[edit on 30-11-2004 by Sep]

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Wrong sep, do unto other before they get the chance to do unto you.
Your nation and others like it have brought this on yourselves, America aint gonna be the nice guy any more, either you do what we tell you to or you go back to the stone age.
Pax Americana.

Sep

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Wrong sep, do unto other before they get the chance to do unto you.
Your nation and others like it have brought this on yourselves, America aint gonna be the nice guy any more, either you do what we tell you to or you go back to the stone age.
Pax Americana.

You think Persia in its history didnt have the chance to dictate people. Their army of "immortals" were invincable. Cyrus the Great the founder of this country when got all his powers and went to Babylon, the people opened the doors for him, where he wrote the first decleration of human rights. But then slowly the kings got worst and worst, and by the end they were so corrupt that a small force was able to defeat their massive and simingly invincable army. The fact is that every country has had their high times, but nowhere at no time were the people of that country filled with as much hate as I see in some People of the US.

Sep

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 09:00 AM
link   
And also for your own sake, dont say that the people of Iran have brought this iupon themselves, go read about Operation Ajax. You will see exactly where all the hatred for the west in Iran started and if you study a little bit more about the US backed Shah you will see why the people supported the revolution at the time

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Not hate just the simple facts, the middle east has proven that it cant run itself, so we are gonna do it for you.
Its easy, do what we say, or suffer the consequences.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 09:09 AM
link   
mwm1331, you're either saying your piece tongue in cheek or you're a total loon. When the other nations get fed up with being bullied by the US, what will you and the other hatemongers say. "Oh, please, don't hurt me. I'm only tough when I have the upper hand, the bigger stick, the techno advantage. Now that it's gone, please be nice to stupid dumb-ass idiot me."

Sep

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Not hate just the simple facts, the middle east has proven that it cant run itself, so we are gonna do it for you.
Its easy, do what we say, or suffer the consequences.

The middle ease ran itself for millinums. We were talking Philosophy when you ancestors were learning how to climb trees. That is a known fact. Now the West being able to run itself, that is questionable. Every western and some Eastern empires have brought great tragedy to the whole world. you dont hear about Babylone looting other empires. But you do hear the British killing the Red men by their thousands. You do here Aboriginies still crying because of what was done to them. You do here the Americas being destroyed by the Spanish. You do hear about the mongolians running across the land killing as they please. The fact is that Middle East was more peacful than any other part of the world until the British and the Americans nd the Russians and the Crusaders tried to force their influence upon us by turing us against each other.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by dubiousone
mwm1331, you're either saying your piece tongue in cheek or you're a total loon. When the other nations get fed up with being bullied by the US, what will you and the other hatemongers say. "Oh, please, don't hurt me. I'm only tough when I have the upper hand, the bigger stick, the techno advantage. Now that it's gone, please be nice to stupid dumb-ass idiot me."

You wanna talk upper hand dubios?
We own space, In less than 10 years we will have the abillity, to hit any target in the world in hours maybe minutes, a ballistic missile shield that'll keep anything out, And UCAVs which will be abe to patroll above any city on earth invisible untill its time to drop the bombs.
Yeah if the whole world banded together it could probably take us, but it wont.
Divide and conquer.

Sep

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 09:33 AM
link   

You wanna talk upper hand dubios?
We own space, In less than 10 years we will have the abillity, to hit any target in the world in hours maybe minutes, a ballistic missile shield that'll keep anything out, And UCAVs which will be abe to patroll above any city on earth invisible untill its time to drop the bombs.
Yeah if the whole world banded together it could probably take us, but it wont.
Divide and conquer.

You forgot the good old terrorists. How exactly are you going to take care of them? If the US tried to pull off anything like you are saying, then there is nothing stopping, north korea, pakistan, India, Russia, China or even Israel from giving Nuclear bombs to terrorists. If a person is willing to die for a cause no matter how much technology, bombs, ballistic missiles and shields you have, the man will do what is good for his cause.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Maybe but it wont matter in the long run, in fact it'll just speed up the timetable. Should Nucler terrorism actually happen it'll just give us an excuse to attack faster. Not to mention retailiating agaist the terrorists home country. Had 9/11 been a nuclear bomb, Saudi Araba and Afghanistan would both be radioactive holes right now.

Sep

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Maybe but it wont matter in the long run, in fact it'll just speed up the timetable. Should Nucler terrorism actually happen it'll just give us an excuse to attack faster. Not to mention retailiating agaist the terrorists home country. Had 9/11 been a nuclear bomb, Saudi Araba and Afghanistan would both be radioactive holes right now.

With Bush in power the Saudis can rest easy,

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 09:41 AM
link   
You really think Bush aint gonna take down the saudis?
Your not too quick on the uptake are ya?
You dont yet get it.
The whole middle east is the target, all countries, not just the trouble makers.
Egypt, Lebanon, Kuwait.
Few more years we will have troops in every country in that region.

Sep

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 09:53 AM
link   

You really think Bush aint gonna take down the saudis?
Your not too quick on the uptake are ya?
You dont yet get it.
The whole middle east is the target, all countries, not just the trouble makers.
Egypt, Lebanon, Kuwait.
Few more years we will have troops in every country in that region.

Are you ok? Why exactly would America bomb Kuwait? They already have military bases there and are friendly with the country. Egypt? what is the point? hardly any natural sources or anything for that matter. lebanon? That country exists? Israel is occupying most of it. So the US is going to bomb Israel? now thats just stupid. The Saudis own Bush and everyone around him. Bush would still be the drunk failier of a busness man that he was had it not been for the Saudis. I would talk about the implications of suh plans but it is not worth it since there is no chance what so ever of this happening. I think we should stop having this conversation now because your ideas are too far fetched to me. Nice talking to you anyway

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Think what yo want sep just remember I said it.
10 years from now when the US has bases in or arund every contry in the middle east, when all goverments in the are are our pupets, and we control 75% or more of the worlds entire oil supply you will remember this conversation.

You still don't get it.

We aren't after a hedgemony any more. The leaders of the US finally woke up to the fact that the only path to peace is to conquer everyone who disagree with us.

Sep

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 10:09 AM
link   
dont worry about it, didnt mean to post.

[edit on 30-11-2004 by Sep]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join