It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: US General Warns Iran

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Gen. John Abizaid, the head of U.S. Central Command, has warned Iran and others not to underestimate the ability of the US military. Despite the fact that the US is fighting wars on many fronts, and has troops deployed in many places, Abizaid reaffirms this message stating "We can generate more military power per square inch than anybody else on Earth, and everybody knows it." Abazaid is also of the opinion that there is currently no need for a major expansion of the US military, including the extra security to be provided for the Iraqi elections in late January.

story.news.yahoo.com
USA TODAY- A top U.S. commander is warning Iran and others against thinking they can exploit the U.S. military because its ground troops are fighting two major missions in Iraq (news - web sites) and Afghanistan (news - web sites).

Some members of Congress, including Democratic Sen. Carl Levin (news, bio, voting record) of Michigan and Republican Sen. John McCain (news, bio, voting record) of Arizona, have expressed concern that there is a shortage of U.S. troops and such a scenario might tempt nations such as Iran and North Korea (news - web sites) to increase terrorist activity or develop weapons of mass destruction.

Abizaid, the top commander for Afghanistan and Iraq, said any nation perceiving a weakness in the U.S. military should think twice.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

While we are a very powerful nation with the capability to fight wars on many fronts, there is a limit. And especially if any one of those wars was to escalate, drawing in more powerful forces, such as North Korea, or worse: China. The General's words are reassuring in one sense, yet scary in another. The Pentagon, rather than instituting a draft, is making increased use of reserves and National Guard, as well as deploying elite training brigades.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Iran's promise: '80 seconds of hell'
Iran shows hatred for U.S.
Powell: U.S. Wants U.N. Sanctions on Iran

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Is the General asking for a fight here?

If he is, he's gonna get one. And he's not gonna like what he sees. Not gonna be another Iraq.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 04:33 PM
link   
This sound like a bully telling his victims to watch out because he will make them "feel sorry"

The truth is that if US was doing Ok militarily with all our troops and resources all over the world it would not need somebody like him to tell other nations to standby.

One of the problems with our nation leaders is that is trying to portray a sense that everything is OK, but its that so?

Other nations are not stupid they know very well what is going on with the US economically and militarily.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 04:44 PM
link   
The Arabs do not see the world as you two do. The y do not see strength as a bully, they see it as power and everyone knows not to piss on a power outlet. They do not see compassion or the lack of willingness to go to war as anything but weakness. That is why we have been attacked - we appear castrated. Liberalism made us look like a bunch of weak guys in skirts, and this appearance got us hit. This general appears to learn from experience and wishes to make the proper sounds. Maybe others could learn from experience.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   
What is wrong with skirts Thomas, are you afraid of wearing them?

Scotts wear them does that makes them less manly.

I don't think US needs to show how bad it is, it already has shown its true colors when invaded Iraq. Right?

[edit on 29-11-2004 by marg6043]

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
The Arabs do not see the world as you two do. The y do not see strength as a bully, they see it as power and everyone knows not to piss on a power outlet. They do not see compassion or the lack of willingness to go to war as anything but weakness. That is why we have been attacked - we appear castrated. Liberalism made us look like a bunch of weak guys in skirts, and this appearance got us hit. This general appears to learn from experience and wishes to make the proper sounds. Maybe others could learn from experience.

I stopped reading when you said "The Arabs."

Iran has nothing to do with Arabs.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 05:10 PM
link   
marg6043,

The thing is, the American government/military has no right whatsoever to threaten Iran or tell it what to do (since when could it tell anyone what to do?). America is 50% responsible for a half a century of brutality, suffering, and pain amongst the Iranian people under the Shah, and is slightly responsible for the death of over 1 million Iranians from 1980 - 1988.

Americans need to understand Iranians hate America because America, with all it's morals and rhetoric, failed to live up to that billing when the Iranian people needed it most. And who paid the biggest price? The Iranian people. Thanks to Team Saddam/Shah/America.

General Abizaid might as well shove it. So can the rest of the U.S. government who thinks they can tell the same nation it screwed over many times what to do. Through his comments, Abizaid proved the American government are certainly bullies.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 05:16 PM
link   
If the USA invade Iran there will be trouble, other countries will get involved on this one, the Americans will realise this is not a push over like Iraq, but wont pull out because they dont want a loss against their name (another vietnam, lol)

If you ask me, the Americans are too big headed in these terms.

Heres a post stating what could happen with this War on Iran : www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 05:22 PM
link   
US can not afford another war unless it goes nuclear or aiding Israel attacking Iran. Look where the war in Iraq got US into, record debt and it ain't even over yet. Almost 6 billion dollars per month to fund the Iraq-operation. Nope, ain't going to happen.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Know wonder Iran is developing nuclear weapons,I would too after taking threats like that and being surrounded!

I like the U.S but they have to get out of the middle east or they will be in big trouble,the longer they stay in there the more and more the people will hate them.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 05:47 PM
link   
In my own opinion, I think a lot of this stems from the fact that Israel has big fears of a nuclear-armed Iran. And not just Israel, either. I think if it becomes evident that Iran has deployed nukes, it will force a move by Israel or the US to pre-emptively strike those facilities, regardless of Iran's threats to retaliate.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 05:47 PM
link   
WOW
, talk about a one sided thread.

I 100% agree with the General, During a time where the US can appear weak, it's important to project strength.

and it wont go nuclear.

The US Airforce could take Iran apart over night, There would be know need to use ground troops.

sweatmonicaIdo (ahg i really hate that name), The US didn't kill over a million Iranians.
damn liberals

Marg
I don't think US needs to show how bad it is, it already has shown its true colors when invaded Iraq. Right?

Yeah, like we stick to our word, we still havn't left Iraq, and we wont untill its much safer. What colors are you refering to?

If NK or Iran see our military as to busy in other countries and so we sill over look them as a threat why they develop nuclear weapons, they have another thing coming.

The biggest thing I have against us taking on Iran is MONEY, Its true that Iraq is costing us a lot of money, but if we did Air strike only campaign it would hardly cost anything, the whole operation would be under double digit billions.

Edit: I agree with TrueAmerican

[edit on 29-11-2004 by Murcielago]

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I like it. It shows that we have balls, and you know what folks, that is what is needed right now in the world. I am so sick of political correctness and such. This is a warning, that should be heeded, to all nations not to step out of line. There is no bullying here. It is a straight up fact.

If we allow countries to create nuclear weapons, do we stand by until they are used and then do something about it or threaten them?

and MArg, please, post ANYTHING, ANYTHING, other than how this administration is screwing things up. I swear to god, that is all you post......

Did no one read that the scare of the draft is aslo taken out of the picture? General Abazaid is of the opinion that there is currently no need for a major expansion of the US military, including the extra security to be provided for the Iraqi elections in late January.

I am not saying that I want a war with Iraq, NK, China or such, but if we stand around and placate everyone, we are going to wind up with another 9/11 style attack. Us pulling out of Iraq will not cange anything now. Were we at war when 9/11 happened????

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Abizaid reaffirms this message stating "We can generate more military power per square inch than anybody else on Earth, and everybody knows it.

Violent gestures like this, a typical 'mad dog' policy, are the sign that the war effort is wearing the US down. Even in full gear the US warmachine stand not an ounce of a chance against a really powerful country like Iran. After the mess in Iraq, Abizaid's saber-rattling can only be qualified as very silly.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago

The biggest thing I have against us taking on Iran is MONEY, Its true that Iraq is costing us a lot of money, but if we did Air strike only campaign it would hardly cost anything, the whole operation would be under double digit billions.

Edit: I agree with TrueAmerican

[edit on 29-11-2004 by Murcielago]

And what do you think we should do with Iran after our military intervention?

Remember we have to feed, give medical care and provide safety for the countries we invade, US is also responsible for the people's lives in those countries, look at Afghanistan the only reason they are surviving is through drug traffic now.

I don't know but I think we are really into a financial mess right now can you imagine if we have to provide for another country?

Any Ideas?

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Just what kind of fight are you talking about? Or are you implying your response is a threat to the US?

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 06:04 PM
link   

And what do you think we should do with Iran after our military intervention?

Firstly, an invasion is not likely to succeed, since Iran has state-of-the-art air defenses. Moreover, Iran can hit any american base in the region with WMD, or just genocide Tel-Aviv. Also, the US has no possibility of occupying Iran.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Even in full gear the US warmachine stand not an ounce of a chance against a really powerful country like Iran.

I pissed myself and then had a heart attack. Are you truly serious? Iran couldn't even take Iraq, what makes you think they could defeat the US?

users.erols.com...

and if i am not mistaken, didn't we sell Iran arms also?

also, who said we would WANT to occupy Iran, we are just trying to keep the world safe with nuclear arms out of the reach of those who fully intend to use them.

[edit on 29-11-2004 by esdad71]

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Well first off, Marge, I don't think the US or Israel would attempt a land invasion, or any kind of occupation. That in my view is just unrealistic. However, pre-emptive strikes on missile facilities confirmed to have either deployed, or "likely to be deployed soon" missiles, is entirely possible. Israel did it before. I think the General is saying to any country that is thinking of making a move due to a "perceived" weakness of the US military, in its currently "scattered and deployed" state, should really think again. I do believe he is right, but as stated above, only to a point. My bigger concern still remains: escalation.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
I think the General is saying to any country that is thinking of making a move due to a "perceived" weakness of the US military, in its currently "scattered and deployed" state, should really think again. I do believe he is right, but as stated above, only to a point. My bigger concern still remains: escalation.

Ok I understand, then the threat that the US General is making is like telling other countries that US will strike them in an air attack. Right?

Now, what will be the consequences of such a campaign, I mean militarily and also financially and what will happened with the "casualties of war" that will be involved after all Iran is more population than Iraq.

And who will take care of the humanitarian crisis that will happened with casualties in the strikes, I don't think that it will be any UN to take care.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join