It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heads Up USA-Meteor shower fri/sat.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 02:32 AM
link   
San Francisco, California here, just came back from the roof of my building. The sky is clear, but city lights being what they are, I only saw one shooting star (meteoroid? I can never remember). It was a goody, went across the bowl of the Big Dipper, trailing sparks while it was visible.

And, having been up around 4000' above sea level in the Sierra Nevada for several meteor showers, I can vouch for the fact that the darker the night sky the better the show. Here in the city, I was doing well to see only one meteor (looked it up; it's a meteoroid til it hits Earth's atmosphere, then it's a meteor).

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 02:40 AM
link   
I got a couple of long exposures of absolutely nothing going on. They're nice sky shots by themselves, I might put them up in the Photography thread tomorrow. I fold, too tired to play wait & see any more...Nodding off typing. Oh well, there's always next shower. G'night all, and hopefully anyone still sticking this out gets to see some awesomeness finally happen at some point

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 02:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

a friend just posted on FB that she saw about 8 in 5 minutes , most were smallish and very , very quick .
hopefully things are picking up we are in Northern Illinois

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 03:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: charlyv

In Boston as well, how are you seeing the sky at all?
It's very cloudy.

There are some long breaks
Still nothing, looks like a bust for tonight (this morning), perhaps at the very latest , tomorrow night, if it does not peak
during the daytime here.
Too bad, it was sounding promising.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I sat up all night and only counted 5. Maybe tonight will be better.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I saw nothing...Nada. I was out at around 2:15 then again a little before 4:00 a.m. EST. Had a perfect view of the north sky and nothing. Maybe too much light pollution? Who knows.

What a let down...

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Out from 10pm till 3:30am counted 15 but the funny thing was only 4 were from the purposed radiant. I did get a call from my mother about 11:30 pm, she had seen a small fireball traveling south east to north west. Any who still a nice night to be out. Im still processing about 1000 photos from last night and so far only 1 in frame.

ETA If I find any worth posting they will be in spacedoubt thread.
edit on 24-5-2014 by hillbilly4rent because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   
So has it been a dud? I saw nothing here in the UK, although I wasn't hanging out outside for very long.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

Sounds like a major dud...Sorry to anyone who lost sleep last night expecting a major celestial event.
I hoped it may have been half as good as some of the reports suggesting 400-1000 shooting stars per hour.
No such luck it seems-Apologies for bigging it up.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I didn't see much. Five in total over about a 45 minute period and then a light cloud cover rolled in and that was the end of my night.

No such luck it seems-Apologies for bigging it up.

Never apologize for something like this mate. If it had have been big, we all would have had quite a show. Better to post it than not. Many here, myself included wouldn't have known anything about it.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Here's why it didn't turn out to be as spectacular: meteors were too faint and had low speed.
Quoted from Comets and Asteroids page on Facebook.

Peter Brown of the University of Western Ontario, Meteor Physics Group analyzed Canadian Meteor Orbit Radar data. [...] Radar echoes were faint suggesting the meteors were also very faint at an equivalent visual magnitude 6 to 7 (Note: The planet Uranus is slightly brighter) Brown analyzed 92 radar echoes over an 11 hour period on May 24, 2014. Meteor mass was estimated at milligram mass or smaller. Meteor velocity was measured at approximately 21 km/sec which makes for shorter streaks in the sky. For comparison Perseid meteor velocity is much larger is around 58 km/sec and a similar sized Perseid meteor would have almost 8 times more kinetic energy.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join