It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heads Up USA-Meteor shower fri/sat.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: lightmeup04

Not sure what the elevation was, if you feel the need find out I was in the buffalo gap area.
I don't think the elevation in the plains gets to high tho.

Every where I read says get away from city lights, the less light the better.
Can you find a link that supports your view?

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   

a reply to: lightmeup04
you don't want to be in to dark of a place. City lights bring out the shower. If all you see is stars...then less spectacular the shower will be. Just a heads up.

I'm sorry, I had too respond,,that is one of the most ignorant statements i've heard ...I'm going to assume you are either being sarcastic, trolling or just dont want any cityfolk out damaging the countryside

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: lightmeup04
a reply to: fossilera

If the shower exists...you don't want to be in to dark of a place. City lights bring out the shower. If all you see is stars...then less spectacular the shower will be. Just a heads up.

Lightmeup04

Uh, no. I live in a city, and the light pollution blocks a great deal of what you can see in the night's sky, showers included. I've been lucky enough to see exactly what kind of a sight I miss in the city when I went on a cruise vacation once years ago. I guarantee you, being in the Caribbean with no man-made light pollution (aside from the lighting on the ship) made for a much more vibrant viewing of the Draconids than the light pollution from a metro area allows. The difference is stark, and you're misleading people for no reason.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I live about 30 miles NW of Chicago. Sure hope the Meteor Shower isn't concentrated to my East or the orange glare of the Chicago street lights will ruin the show.

Any idea what's the best time for viewing tonight? We had the Full Lunar "Blood Moon" eclipse last month. It occurred so late that I almost feel asleep while watching it. Hopefully the meteor shower tonight is earlier! Well, it's about midnight. Gonna go out in the back yard and have a look. If there's anything newsworthy to report, I'll add to this post. Fingers crossed!
-cwm

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 11:58 PM
link   
1:00 AM in Boston. Nothing evident as yet.
2:00 to 4:00AM is considered best, but as yet, no stragglers.

Radiant is near Polaris.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 12:21 AM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

10:00 westcoast :: _nothing spotted except..Mars , Arcturus and a bunch of Memorial Day weekend campers....dont those campers know there better viewing in the city...

edit on 24-5-2014 by Hoaxster because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 12:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv
1:00 AM in Boston. Nothing evident as yet.
2:00 to 4:00AM is considered best, but as yet, no stragglers.

Radiant is near Polaris.

Thank-you! Now I at least know where to focus. Nothing here in Chicago yet either. (12:24am CDT) I'm gonna watch Kojak and then go out for another look-see.
-cwm

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Nothing visible here in the Tampa Bay area yet, nor on Slooh's NASA livestream from the Marshall Space Flight Center (AL)

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Slooh stream...

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Reporting in from the east valley AZ. and no signs of anything yet.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 12:49 AM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

In Boston as well, how are you seeing the sky at all?
It's very cloudy.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 12:59 AM
link   
22:20 hours - unidentified satellite spotted headed from southsoutheast towards NorthNorthwest ... run for your lives

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 01:10 AM
link   
It's crystal clear where I live. I am going to grab a bite to eat then go out...Should be starting shortly!

I am hoping for a meteor storm...not a shower!

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 01:14 AM
link   
So. California here and it's cloudy where I'm at...
Couple patches of the sky tho, hoping for the best
Eta: even worse now, give it one more go on in a hour or so
edit on thSat, 24 May 2014 01:35:33 -0500America/Chicago520143380 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Super-ticked that it's cloudy here. It was pouring two hours ago, so I'll stay up another two hours, but I'm not that hopeful ...

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Ugh, the humidity haze is getting thicker, and dimmer stars are getting harder to spot. I still haven't seen any meteors, and at this rate, probably won't

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Here's NASA's Ustream. The quality is much better than Slooh's is (Slooh was a disappointment for me for a change)

Edit: If the social stream on NASA's Ustream is any indication, no one's seeing anything yet from the NE to the West Coast, Canada... Someone pointed out the peak timing might be off, and it certainly could be. Not sure how long I'd be willing to stay up to wait for this, though, I'm whipped as it is.
edit on 5/24/2014 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Toronto, Canada

Saw 2 small streaks at about 2:15AM and 2:55 AM. Clear skies, no clouds. Hopefully it will pick up, because as of now, it's a dud.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 02:16 AM
link   
whos pushing the agenda for this peticular "New" meteor shower??? ....is SETI behind it,,,seems like it could be an attempt to get more funding ,,,cause I aint seeing no meteorites

SETI astronomers tell US Congress 'there's alien life out there'

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Western Kentucky here..... went outside early, came in to make sure I wasn't nuts, going back outside for a few more.

I have seen 1 plane, i meteor, 100's of lightning bugs, 2 motherships and Elvis Presley.... thats about it so far.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join