It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heads Up USA-Meteor shower fri/sat.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Hi ATS stargazers of the USA,I didn't see this posted yet,so heres a quick heads up-the next couple of nights could be awesome for you if you like meteor showers-You may be able to see up to 200 shooting stars per hour they say(The shower may be visible from anywhere in the Northen hemisphere,but North America is best location to view from) :

The dim, obscure periodic comet 209P/LINEAR is about to pass close by Earth — and bring with it a trail of debris that could make for an exciting meteor shower during the predawn hours of Saturday May 24th for North America.
Most skygazers are familiar with the usual "biggies" among meteor showers, such as the Perseids and Geminids.
But if the calculations of celestial dynamicists are correct, we could experience a terrific meteor shower that virtually no one's ever heard of: the Camelopardalids.

www.skyandtelescope.com...

www.theatlantic.com...

So I hope some of you folks will get to witness this event-It sounds pretty darned spectacular to me,but I won't see it in the UK sadly.
I must say I am not to keen on the name though-"the Camelopardalids"sounds like some horrid disease.

Please report back if you see the meteors-and maybe try to get some pics-timelapse or long exposure are great for meteor showers.

edit on 23/5/2014 by Silcone Synapse because: pic adjustment

edit on 23/5/2014 by Silcone Synapse because: extra words added

edit on 23/5/2014 by Silcone Synapse because: more words added

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

I live in southern california plz tell me i can see this sky majic

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Captobvious94

I think its viewable from anywhere in the northern hemisphere Captain,but North America is the best place to see it from-so you should be able to see it with a clear sky.
Get out there with a camera tonight!

Whats cool about this meteor shower is that its the first time its swinging by Earth-the comet responsible has been diverted into an orbit which gets close enough for us to see...

No one knows quite how amazing it will be,but they reckon better than the persiids we get every year.
Lets just hope its not like the Day of the Triffids,or the Night if the Comet.

edit on 23/5/2014 by Silcone Synapse because: more words added

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I am also looking forward to seeing them strike the moon!

Earth won't be the only body passing through the debris zone. The Moon will be, too. Meteoroids hitting the lunar surface could produce explosions visible through backyard telescopes on Earth.

spaceweather.com...

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Wow, 200 per hour?!

I'll definitely have to find a dark place for that.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Chamberf=6

I was just reading on reddit and someone was saying maybe upward of 400 per hour...
Which would be incredible.
But no one really knows yet,I just hope its not going to hurt anyone one the ISS or wreak our satellites.

Damn my Welsh weather...thick fog and torrential rain of course.
The weather god always does this to me,any astronomical event incoming?
Pissing rain and cloud guaranteed.

Oh well,counting on you folks with clear skies to film the event.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Sweet. It's supposed to be mostly clear here tonight so it should be good viewing. I live in a rural area and suffer little to no light pollution from any area.

Silicone...

but North America is the best place to see it from-so you should be able to see it with a clear sky.

There is more on this continent than the USA. In fact the largest portion of the continent isn't the USA.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   

something to look up to

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: GAOTU789
Sweet. It's supposed to be mostly clear here tonight so it should be good viewing. I live in a rural area and suffer little to no light pollution from any area.

Silicone...

but North America is the best place to see it from-so you should be able to see it with a clear sky.

There is more on this continent than the USA. In fact the largest portion of the continent isn't the USA.

Sounds like your in the ideal location,get out there with the camera!
BTW Hey,I know the continent is bigger than the USA,I was just reciting what I read about viewing from North America-anyhow,no worries bout that-I just hope you get a good viewing tonight.

Still thick fog and rain here in Wales as always it seems.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   

One of your articles went as far as 1000 per hour, a meteor storm!
That would be amazing, I too live in rather rural area, but the only cam I have is my phone, Galaxy S4.
I'll try and take some but don't think they will come out all that great

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   

I hope it remains mostly clear here tonight. The last few good meteor showers have happened on very heavy cloud cover nights and I haven't been able to see them.

As for the North America thing. I was just giving ya a hard time. Nothing really meant by it.

I hope that the skies clear for you folks across the pond and you get to witness it, if it turns out to be good.
edit on 23-5-2014 by GAOTU789 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I live in a very rural area so will definitely be checking this out tonight. Went out last night thinking it was time and actually saw 1. It was the only 1 I saw for about 15 min so I went back inside. I guess I just got lucky last night.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Thanks for the heads up!! I have clouds right now and they're predicting rain through tomorrow but I'm keeping fingers crossed! Sounds like it could be quite spectacular!!

side note... hey silicone, I went to Wales about 10 years ago and absolutely LOVED it! I wanted to move over there-lol. We got there and suddenly there wasn't any rain! I kept saying "where's all the rain!?" The locals loved the sunshine and said we must have brought it with us, I was hoping to soak up the moisture though-lol I kept hoping it would rain but they said "..No no no!-once it starts, it never stops!" (like our summer heat -ugh! Texas)

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Michigan has got all clear skies tonight, so I may actually stay up until 2am and take a walk (I can already see the conversation now "No officer, I'm not drinking, and I'm not waiting for UFO's to abduct me, I'm just trying to watch the meteor shower than might be a once in a lifetime event").

Sadly, it's not dark enough out here with all the streetlights, but I do know of a couple spots where there are benches I can sit on.

I'll try to post some pictures, but no promises that my camera will pick-up something.
-fossilera

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: fossilera

If the shower exists...you don't want to be in to dark of a place. City lights bring out the shower. If all you see is stars...then less spectacular the shower will be. Just a heads up.

Lightmeup04

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: lightmeup04

This is the first I have ever heard that places where it is hard to see the stars get a better view of a meteor shower...
Where did you learn this info?

edit on rdFri, 23 May 2014 21:33:36 -0500America/Chicago520143680 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 09:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

This is the first I have ever heard that places where it is hard to see the stars get a better view of a meteor shower...
Where did you learn this info?

I'm curious as well - I'd love it to be true, as that will make my life a bit easier. And if that's also the case, then I'm going to look out my bedside window .
-fossilera
edit on 23/5/2014 by fossilera because: forgot that window + a period is a keyword in _javascript

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: fossilera

Well....if you have ever been where all you can see is stars? You have eliminated all black sky. You still can see them but not as spectacular. To much star light if you want to put it that way. Just outside of city light but still a back drop is what you want. Just what o have experienced when viewing meteor showers.

Lightmeup04

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Meh, not so sure on that one.
The showers I have seen at my cousins ranch in the South Dakota were amazing. And not much you can't see as far as stars go out there.
First place i ever saw the milky way from the ground with my naked eye

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Well....you were in south Dakota. I guess to be more specific. The higher in elevation you go and further from big city lights is no bueno. I have viewed in South Dakota. Not the most spectacular in my book. What is your highest elevation in SD?

Lightmeup04

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join