It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Operation Northwoods vs Operation Mogul

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 04:27 AM
link   
I doubt this will get much attention, questioning the logic of conspiracy theorists on a conspiracy site will do that.

Two secret US government projects that are linked to two very large and popular conspiracy theories.

Operation Northwoods, popular with conspiracy theorists due to the similarities between it and 9/11.

Operation Mogul, unpopular with conspiracy theorists due it possibly explaining what crashed at Roswell in 1947.

I'm sure the validity of both can be argued, but I find it ironic that one secret project is accepted as gospel, while another is not, just because of a groups particular persuasion.

Thoughts?

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 04:28 AM
link   
To be fair, it can be spun the other way as well, those that dismiss Operation Northwoods as fantasy and accept Operation Mogul as fact.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 05:27 AM
link   
No one disputes the existence of either. But, other than being government programs, they are not especially similar in what they are or how they've been used in relation to "conspiracy theories".

Operation Northwoods shows what our government has contemplated. But it isn't used to directly support or debunk a "conspiracy theory".

Project Mogul is a different kettle of fish entirely. It was used, forty years after the fact, to debunk a "conspiracy theory". But it was used in a very strange way as the basic claims they were making didn't match their own records. Even people who don't hold with the original "conspiracy theory" find the Project Mogul explanation highly dubious.

So it's not surprising these programs are viewed differently. They ARE very different. And have been used in very different ways.

Next.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 05:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Moresby

Operation Northwoods shows what our government has contemplated. But it isn't used to directly support or debunk a "conspiracy theory".

It most certainly is used directly to support a conspiracy theory.

And yeah they're different, that's pretty obvious.

But they're both government operations, and both linked to a popular conspiracy theory.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 05:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: AlphaHawk

It most certainly is used directly to support a conspiracy theory.

Not DIRECTLY. It was proposed in the early sixties. It has no direct relationship to something that occurred forty years later. There is an indirect connection. That is all.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 06:02 AM
link   

You're changing what you're saying now. You said it's not "directly used to support or debunk a 'conspiracy theory'", now you're saying it has no direct relationship to the event.

Make up your mind!

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 06:19 AM
link   

You're changing what you're saying now. You said it's not "directly used to support or debunk a 'conspiracy theory'", now you're saying it has no direct relationship to the event.

Make up your mind!

I didn't change anything. It isn't directly used. It's used indirectly. It merely shows that the U.S. Government has contemplated something like this in the past. That's not direct support of the "conspiracy theory". It's not directly related in any way.

Project Mogul on the other hand is directly used. It has a direct connection to the "conspiracy theory". It, adherents claim, is the event. It also directly debunks the original government position.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 06:34 AM
link   
a reply to: AlphaHawk

It would be interested if you provided some details about Operation Northwoods and Operation Mogul. I'm aware of the former but not the latter.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 06:36 AM
link   

There is a difference between directly support and directly used..

Operation Northwoods directly supports the conspiracy theory of 9/11.

The 9/11 conspiracy theory does not directly use the methods stated in Operation Northwoods, that I agree with.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 06:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Kram09

Operation Mogul:
www.princeton.edu...

Operation Northwoods:
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 07:45 AM
link   

There is a difference between directly support and directly used..

Operation Northwoods directly supports the conspiracy theory of 9/11.

It does not. It has no direct bearing on that "conspiracy theory". It's only bearing is indirect. It merely shows that forty years earlier our government contemplated something sort of similar.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Mogul was real enough. Using it to cover for Roswell doesn't make sense from a certain viewpoint. That being the idiocy of trying to eavesdrop on Russian nuke tests and then covering for that by announcing to the world that we caught a UFO.

What better way to attract every spy in the country to the area? The military base would never release such a story to "hide things".

Cover blown.
edit on 23-5-2014 by intrptr because: changed

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Operation Mogul was a whitewash. This was a time before we had cover ups of questionable crashes. The local media did what they always did, and reported what they knew at the time. Aliens crashed. Was that the real deal? Hard to say, but that is what they first reported. It could have been some amazing Russian technology, and the first military folks who came on site told a lie about aliens. Then the white wash crowd came in and spun it into whatever they wanted "the public" to believe. Just as they do today.

But either way, the next day, the headlines changed. And conspiracy theory was born.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Just curious as to why you think the Roswell incident may have been a Russian aircraft. I know something that suggests Russia had this sort of technology back then, so I think it's entirely possible.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

actually, I just used that as a random possibility. The Nazi UFO stuff is real interesting, but I was more about the fact that the news reported UFO crash first, then the next day, the story changed drastically.

But if the initial report of UFO was also a cover up, it might have been to hide some crashed enemy spy plane.

Whatever the case, the government got exactly what they wanted. Multiple stories that cannot be verified. Therefore, anything that sounds crazy, must be.

I personally believe it was out of this world stuff and we got huge amounts of technology from it.

But then again, I hold out hope Bigfoot is real too. So I am just another nutter.

top topics

join