It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are some ODD sleep anomalies you have had??

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Here's some I've had and I thought I'd open discussion to see if others have had the same or maybe present some new sleep anomalies. I believe there's something to these night-time excursions that humans do not fully understand. If you've experienced these or something similar - it's almost something spiritual or "oneness" that is felt and I hope others know what I mean.

So, here are my dealings with the night--

*Sleep paralysis - I've had it and often. The one unique bit about this is that I never feel alone in the room. I can't move but I can see all the fixtures in my house and I'm not alone. In all honesty, and some embarrassment, I've felt as if the entity fondled me in my rear (lol) and it's entirely uncomfortable. A buzzing sensation almost. Very weird yet so real. It's almost as if the entitiy lets me wake up when it's finished. Of course, this could all be in my head but I'm trying to describe it as how I perceive it as it's happening.

*OBE - these one's are awesome and I used to have them periodically but not really anymore. I could literally walk through my entire house. I remember how interactive these were as when they were happening, I of course went online to study them. Some anonymous poster said you couldn't read your alarm clock, it will just look blurry. I sh!# you not, I actually remembered to look at my clock during one of these sessions, and it was exactly how the poster described. I enjoyed these and it felt like my house - but I'm in another realm/reality. Something was off. One time - I actually went into my basement where my roomate lived. He always was up late playing video games. I opened or walked through his door (can't remember) and when he looked at me - I instantly zipped back to my body, awake in my bed. I asked him about it and he just looked at me weird.

*Sleep Breathlessness - Okay, this one feels like it's unique to me because on other forums - I rarely see anyone talking about this one. Anywho - I wake up and I can't breath, it's like I'm struggling to remember how to. I go off into a space realm during this and here's why it's awesome - for a brief moment I UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING. It's all math related and everything can be described by equations that are easy for me to conceive. There is a beauty and "oneness" to life and it goes all throughout the universe. I know that death is nothing to be scared of and completely understand why it's necessary. The realm beyond death is much more advanced than our dimension. Like we could almost watch our current dimension on a TV like a show - but you don't have a body, you're like energy and humanly thoughts are no more. You don't have Earthly worries. It's weird - but I imagine this is something someone feels as they're about to die. '___' -per se. Then, I regain my breath and it's gone. I can't remember those maths that I so easily understood a second ago. I lose that unearthly feeling of being pure energy and how beautiful life is. I just go back to me but each time this happens, I feel like spiritually, I grow. I grow closer to understanding the scheme and that love is God. At least in my universe...

*Shadow Dudes - Twice, I've had it happen twice. Very freaky but at the same time, it's not. First time (around 16 years old - I'm 33 now) I was nearly asleep, maybe partially then I suddenly lean up in my bed. There's this figure, hunched over, about 4-5 ft tall, wavering with its hands on it's knees. I couldn't see the eyes but I knew it was looking at me. I panicked. I ran down to my parents room, at 16 mind you, and told them I saw something behind my door. They looked, of course there was nothing. It left me uneasy but I eventually went back to bed.
Second time - I'm closer to 30 and I'm sleeping away and I wake up, laying on my side and there it is again. Same posturing as before but this time I don't really feel afraid. I look at it for a good 5 seconds, it's looking right back at me and I cannot see it's eyes but what the hell else would it be doing? It's wavering like before which give it life, at least in my mind. Then it fades away and I'm staring at my golf bag. I get up and get a drink in the kitchen. I kind of felt like it was a familiar being and I wasn't scared in the least. I haven't seen one since...

*Portal Dreams - very, very deep sleep. I go through some portal in my dream - kind of an earthy tube-looking device that puts me even deeper into the dream realm. I come out on the other end of this portal (best way I can describe it) as another person in a world that doesn't feel of this earth. Like the physics are strange and way you perceive everythiing is much different (like your 5 senses aren't in tuned as they normally are, even in your dreams). These are very hard to describe and I'm sorry I don't have more - like I said, it's so other-worldly that my descriptors are completely thrown off. Very awesome though - and it seems that everytime I have one of these dreams, I look in a mirror and see that it's not me. To be honest - the world's look like something off of Star Wars. Some distant city, far away from the norm - and I feel like something that's not entirely human.

Long post - but share what you have and especially if you can relate to any of these. You're probably a better writer than I am and may describe the events in a better fashion. Let's have some fun!

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   
The wife snores. The cats snore. If I snore, I instantly wake up unless I am extremely tired.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I have experienced "Sleep Breathlessness" before. I don't snore (per my wife), so I'm pretty sure it's not apnea, but some other physical defect, not a supernatural cause. It doesn't happen often, maybe 3 or 4 times a year, regardless it scares the crap out of me. It usually occurs with a dream I'm drowning or being smothered, and l then wake up suddenly gasping for breath and heart-rate at the max. The only difference is I don't experience the spiritual consciousness thingy you describe in your last few sentences in this category.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: cestrup

It's almost as if the entitiy lets me wake up when it's finished. Of course, this could all be in my head but I'm trying to describe it as how I perceive it as it's happening.

You describe this as an unpleasant experience, I can see why. Sort of violating you without your consent. This one thing you are encountering may be responsible for all the experiences you are having. Sometimes it is a little out of sorts or abusive, sometimes it leads you to other places. Sometimes it reveals itself.

Remind it of its manners. Tell it to back off if something is amiss. Scold it. Own your physical space. Even though you feel you may be pinned or "breathless" you are still capable of "speaking" with your thoughts. Thats "talking" over there.

It doesn't sound overall healthy to me. Like a bully boyfriend. If you are comfortable with the relationship thats your choice.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I've had several episodes of sleep paralysis. Thought I was dying the first time. Buzzing, static like noise.the feeling of a presence in the room, a shadow in my peripheral.

Check out Dredg's album El Cielo, it's a concept album on the phenomenon.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I woke up with a weird hairdo. It was the 80's, I had been pretty inebriated, and a couple of ladies in the room put styling mousse in my hair. They pulled it up in several long spikes. They got a pretty good laugh out of it.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I feel like the queen of weird sleep sometimes. I tend to have very vivid dreams (and even more so right now because I'm pregnant... that amps everything up) and all kinds of sleep anomalies.

I've recently discovered that one thing I experience is called Exploding Head Syndrome... an ultra-dramatic name for a condition where you hear really loud sounds right as you are falling asleep. This only happens a few times a year, but it is pretty intense and freaky. The sound I usually hear is a very loud pounding sound - as if someone were knocking loudly on the door. Scared the crap out of me for many years before I learned that it was just a neurological thing. I few times, I've heard a loud buzzer. And once I heard someone whisper very clearly, and very loudly, RIGHT into my ear my name. That was the creepiest "exploding head" moment of all.

I do get sleep paralysis, but I've learned I can usually avoid it by sleeping on my side. Sleeping on my back is a sure way to get it, and I'd rather avoid it!

I sometimes talk, often laugh, and occasionally hum while sleeping. And....well, this is pretty embarrassing, but in the interest of full weird sleep disclosure, I often have very physically realistic dreams. I often wake up experiencing....er.... the climax of dreamstate encounters. I don't know how common that is for women, but I know it happens to men particularly in adolescence. It shows how powerful the mind is, I guess, because I am not physically being touched in any way. I definitely can't do that (hands free) in waking life. I am not really complaining about it... but it is weird and I think slightly unusual. Happens about once a week on average.

And one final weird sleep thing... I was going to make a post about this at some point but never got around to it. Time during sleep is such a strange thing. I remember one night in particular. I woke up at 3:26. I couldn't get back to sleep right away, but looked at the clock one more time before dosing off and it said 3:37. I went into a very long and elaborate dream. It felt like it took hours. I remember several times, in the dream, realizing that I was asleep and I had to wake up soon to get the kids ready for school. I was sure I was oversleeping because the dream was soooo long. Dozens of scenes and locations, very epic movie-like. I finally forced myself awake, certain I was running late. The clock said 3:38! It seemed impossible that only a minute passed. To even recall all the events of the dream would take hours.

I've read cases of people experiencing entire lifetimes during a single nights sleep. They wake up very disoriented and it can be very difficult to readjust to their waking life after such an experience.

edit on 22-5-2014 by VegHead because: neurological was spelled numberological

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: denybedoomed
I've had several episodes of sleep paralysis. Thought I was dying the first time. Buzzing, static like noise.the feeling of a presence in the room, a shadow in my peripheral.

Check out Dredg's album El Cielo, it's a concept album on the phenomenon.

Yeah, I hear the buzzing noise. It's happened so much that I am conditioned to know that it's about to get weird. Love it.

Also, there are some funny responses in this thread. Keep it up!

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

It must have went away because it's been quite a while since I've had sleep paralyisis. Yes, it was certainly a violation of sorts. Very weird to type that out. But very true all the same

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I've had one bout of SP, I was totally aware of my inability to move, totally awake it felt, no demons or entities though.

When I was younger I hallucinated in my sleep a few times. These weren't dreams.

My favorite one was when miniature Mufasa from the "Lion King" was walking upside down across a belt suspended from my ceiling......seriously not joking, I remember that...

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I remember one vivid experience of what I think is sleep paralysis but not with any buzzing noise. Instead it felt as though something was pressing my chest down, or almost like my chest had collapsed. I remember putting my hands on my chest and it felt concave, like everything had been sucked out of my body. That was pretty weird.

Also pretty much every time I fall asleep I get the massive whole-body jolt (hypnagogic jerk). I think it's because it takes me a while to wind down and get to sleep, so that is my body finally relaxing. Usually wakes my wife up, but she's used to it now...

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   
It was cool hearing your experiences. One thing that happens to me regularly when I sleep (and its hard to explain). I see darkness I am asleep and I feel as if my jaw is locking in a position where my bottom front teeth actually over lap my top front teeth and it is extremely painful, it feels as if my teeth are going to break from the strength of my jaw trying to force its way back to normal but it cannot and I cannot wake up. I don't know if that makes any sense but there it is lol curious to see if anyone else experiences this

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I dunno ... only thing I can say that might be strange is that I wake up every 2 1/2 hours. Pretty much right to the minute. It takes a lot to throw that off ... like a head cold or a thunderstorm waking me up ...

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I sleepwalk. I stand at the window and stare out. Other times, I have night terrors. Vivid dreams are very common with me, also. The ones I hate are when I ran out the backdoor, into 1 foot of snow half way across the yard before I woke up. Another time, I was staying at a hotel and I took all the blankets and sheets off the bed and walked them to the center of the parking lot and went back in and went to bed. My roomy was like WTF?

I've seen many shadow beings while wide awake and half asleep. I've had sleep paralysis too. I've awoke to smell breakfast being cooked and go to get out of bed and notice my wife is still in bed and nothing is being cooked. I've also awoke and heard the TV on in the living room, thinking that one of the kids was already up, but then walk in and everyone is still in bed and nothing is on.

There was a time that every time I awoke it was 2:22am. Every time. I also went through the 11:11 thing. I don't know, but it was weird. Haven't done that for a little while, though.
edit on 22-5-2014 by Fylgje because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-5-2014 by Fylgje because: unforgivable typo

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I have experienced sleep paralysis, shadow people, and lucid dreaming. I tend to wake up several times throughout the night and check the house. My brothers do the same, we seem to be on shifts. We do not live together and think it may have to do with the way dad trained us and the fact that we grew up in a strange and at times dangerous part of town. I did use a sleep recorder once and found that my wife and I carry conversations in our sleep. I thought that was really weird. In the recording I can be heard saying, "I just can't get it! It isn't working!"
She responded, " I am not worried, dear. You will figure it out, you always do."
Woman of my dreams is very supportive of me.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: borracho

Haha! So, with those sleep recorders - do you just record yourself for 8 hrs and FF through till you see movement or whatever? That would be kind of neat to watch the next day or so.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: borracho

I talk in my sleep quite a lot. Sometimes I'm oblivious to it, but sometimes I wake up part way through what I'm saying. I kind of keep talking while gradually realising that I'm not making any sense (so what's new?)

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: cestrup

I have a lot of the same sleep disturbances as you.

Sometimes I'll wake up in the middle of the night and not be able to breathe, gasping for air but no air flows to my lungs.

Sleep paralysis and OBE as these two pretty much go hand in hand, I get these all the time. A few weeks ago during sleep paralysis something crawled on the bed and then on top of me and I don't know what it was trying to do. Well, I think I know what it was trying to do but that's too scary to think about.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I've experienced, sleep paralysis, astral projection(just floating above my body) lucid dreaming, but the perplexing thing...

I remember closing my eyes and about 1 minute in I seen a huge tetrahedron made from like electricity/pulsating beams/waves.
And there was one just a bit smaller inside of it rotating one way, and another one rotating another way... Like 5-12 inside of it and I just remember saying "wow".
There were also smaller versions of this scattered around. They were all colored royal blue/purplelish. It was the most vivid/colorful/amazing thing I've ever seen lol

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Rob48

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea many years ago, they make you wear a mask hooked up to a cpap machine...the mask fits over your mouth and the machine blows air into your mouth to keep everything in place in your throat so you get enough air, it is set to your specifications.

the mask has elastic straps because it has to fit tight to make a good seal around your mouth or it will not work. many time I woke up in the middle of the night in a panic because I was dreaming that there was a tentacled monster on my face and I had to get it off....I wake up to find I had ripped the cpap mask off my face!!!

2. once in a while I would seem to awake up and looking at something in my room, but it would look different than usual, I am very still, don't feel the need to move at all, then I start to feel different and what I am looking at looks normal

3. once In a while I wake up with a start, like jolted awake, I don't know why.

4 once in a while I wake up but it is like the dream is still happening , and I sit up and say something and it takes a little time for me to realize I was dreaming.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join