It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3 Months Since Legalizing Marijuana, Here's What Colorado Looks Like

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: sbreckley
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Again, you are missing what is being typed. Let me be very clear.
1. I don't agree with legalizing Marijuana. This is my opinion, and NOT because I have been relying on 'outdated propaganda'. THIS IS EXTREMELY INSULTING of you to say.

When THIS is why marijuana is illegal, any argument that involves keeping it illegal is based on outdated propaganda. Unless you just want to keep it illegal because you are a huge spoil sport and don't like other people having fun with things you don't enjoy. How about you elaborate on this point, so people stop making assumptions about you?

1a. I see that you didn't answer MY question regarding 'outdated propaganda'...

What question? I reviewed your first response to me and didn't see one asked of me. Care to repeat it?

2. I did not answer your question about this, true. You are asking if someone is entitled to put what they want into their bodies. (Moot point, isn 't it? Does it matter WHAT I answer here? Should I be allowed to ingest Nuclear Waste materials? How about other substances that the government has banned?)

Well YOU brought it up when you accused all the pro-legalization people of being entitled to put things in their body. So I want you to elaborate on it. Why do you think that people feeling entitled to put something in their body is wrong?

For the record, I could care less if someone wanted to ingest nuclear waste. If they want to do that, then so be it. It's their life to waste. I also think that putting them in prison for doing so isn't going to help them either. They'll just die in a cold cell by themselves.

3. The war on drugs? Where did this come from? I don't recall mentioning this at all. Please advise as to how this relates.

You cannot talk about legalization without talking about the war on drugs. Don't try to pretend like they aren't related. By wanting to keep marijuana illegal you are implicitly sanctioning the war on drugs. After all if the plant stays illegal and there is no penalty for use, then what's the point of having it be illegal in the first place?
edit on 16-5-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Big tobacco has already decided to go with it (legal weed), so it's kind of a done deal, as they are the ones lining the pockets of the reps who vote it into law. Their only fight is getting it past the first round (the voter public at large). After that...smooth sailing, and for once, it SHOULD be....

I've seen the medical benefits firsthand with a loved one, and it is ridiculous to even legislate a native growing weed in the first place. Our state (FL) just took the first steps and legalized for medical use. (somewhat...still really stringent, and limited, but a step in the right direction).
edit on 16-5-2014 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Damn, reading through this thread I can't believe some of the outdated and ill-informed opinions some people still have on marijuana. I've yet to see a single reason why a consenting healthy adult should be classified as a criminal for smoking it, just seems crazy to me.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: sbreckley

3. The war on drugs? Where did this come from? I don't recall mentioning this at all. Please advise as to how this relates.

Really? You're advocating cannabis being illegal, and don't know how the war on drugs came up? It's impossible that you are that obtuse. Cannabis being illegal IS the war on drugs, or the most significant manifestation of it.
edit on 16-5-2014 by TheJourney because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

I already conceded that the use of MJ contributes to mental problems in young persons. There is an abundant amount of research regarding that.

Don't be quick to concede this point.

1. There are similar studies showing a link between usage of other psychotropic substances, primarily alcohol, and the onset of psychotic disorders. There are also studies that haven't identified a link between cannabis usage and psychosis. In fact, it would be disingenuous for a person to claim that cannabis causes something like schizophrenia when at most, cannabis usage may be a factor in triggering onset in individuals with a hereditary predisposition.

New research from Harvard Medical School, in a comparison between families with a history of schizophrenia and those without, finds little support for marijuana use as a cause of schizophrenia.

“The results of the current study suggest that having an increased familial morbid risk for schizophrenia may be the underlying basis for schizophrenia in cannabis users and not cannabis use by itself,” note the researchers.

source

2. While a statistical correlation has been demonstrated in many studies, it's much more difficult to establish causation. A similar debate exists with the link between adolescents, SSRIs and thoughts of suicide.

3. Under Colorado law, consumption is legal only for individuals 21 years of age and older.

The take away here is that nobody should be promoting the use of psychotropic substances by children except as part of a medical treatment with the guidance of a doctor. There are many things that are generally safe for adults that aren't safe for children and there's no reason to believe that cannabis represents a greater risk than alcohol, cigarettes, driving, unprotected sex, prescription medication, poor nutrition, gun violence, etc.

I'd say these types of baseless arguments crop up enough that we should be calling it "pulling the 'what about the kids?' card."

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gazrok
Our state (FL) just took the first steps and legalized for medical use. (somewhat...still really stringent, and limited, but a step in the right direction).

I live in Florida, and this isn't true. It is going to be on the ballot this year, and polls show it should pretty much definitely pass, but it still hasn't been voted on. And from what I have heard, the legislation is actually quite lax, will be easy to get a medical card, like in California for instance.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   
hogwash... Pot isn't going to kill you if you eat too much. Just sleep it off. Of course the docs are going to make a big thing out of it. They have to be able to charge for all the "necessary" treatment for this grave type of poisoning. lmao. a reply to: semperfortis

edit on 5/16/2014 by fenson76 because: The power of Christ compelled me.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I think it will be more than 3 months before we really get a firm idea what the lasting consequences of legalization will be on CO. Did anyone know for sure what tobacco smoke was going to do after only 3 months of it? Somehow, I doubt it given the fact that most of the worst impacts are long-term.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I can agree with you there regarding the long term issues that might arise.

But, data from other countries and places that have done this already are a good gauge IMO of how this will go.

Let's remember that having it legalized state by state is better than having a blanket federal release of the issue.

IMO like anything else, good things happen with time and slow and steady progressions.

~Tenth

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: semperfortis
Problems?

Yeah they got em

"On Tuesday, Dr. Michael Distefano testified that Colorado Children’s Hospital has treated seven juveniles for acute illnesses stemming from ingesting edible forms of marijuana since the law went into effect."

Well I know some people can be allergic, but did they mention which illnesses the kids had, and how they determined they stemmed from their use of marijuana? I find it more likely they suffered acute paranoia and hypercondriac-itus stemming from ingesting edible forms of marijuana.

edit on 16-5-2014 by 7918465230 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I've never understood why marijuana is illegal. Of course, I don't understand the flip side of it either - people that make the legalization of marijuana their life's work. It's just not an important issue in our current situation as a declining country.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: sooth

It's just not an important issue in our current situation as a declining country.

Considering that the Hemp trade could create a whole industry of high paying, quality manufacturing jobs in the US, you might want to rethink that stance.

There's a wonderful economic argument to be made regarding industrial hemp and it's potential benefits. That's entirely outside the MJ debate, but one needs to be legal for the other to be as well.

~Tenth

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: knoledgeispower
originally posted by: Krazysh0t
Sorry but you are wrong there. Substance abuse isn't victimless. I am the victim of my Mom's alcohol abuse. Her substance abuse has had a huge impact on my life & I'm currently going to counseling because of it. I know lots of people who are a family member of a substance abuser who would disagree with your statement.

I'd say that you are a casualty of substance abuse more than a victim of it. Substance abuse from your mother isn't seeking you out and harming you. However, because of its affects you are experiencing negative effects from it. Therefore a descriptor is necessary for what is happening and like I said that would be casualty as opposed to victim. Victims are intentional targets, casualties are collateral.

p.s. I'm not trying to be insensitive here or anything, just my opinion on the matter. I fully sympathize with your plight and agree with counseling and help for substance abusers who need it.

Marijuana doesn't always impair judgement. (I know you didn't say this but I just had to put my $0.02 ) If you do nothing while smoking marijuana then you will be lazy & probably have an impaired judgement. However, if you continue to do daily tasks while high, your body learns how to do those same tasks while high & almost to the same level.

Yep.

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, can not kill a person, you can literally drink a gallon of it and you wouldn't have any side effects that could harm or kill you. There is a saturation point in the brain comes to with Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, after that the body treats the Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds like it's water.
Acid can be bad if it isn't pure but that's like other substances too. Homemade is not a good idea because too many people think they are chemists & they use horrible ingredients.

Yep, homemade drugs just invite impurities and it is the impurities that cause the dangerous problems, not the drug itself.

You are correct on this. Making drugs illegal does more harm than good. If drugs are legalized then they can be properly controlled, monitored & you can have more treatment centers. Plus it takes away from the allure of doing something bad.

Exactly.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: sled735

Well, I, for one, can't wait until it is legalized in my state. I need something for my aching, arthritic bones.

I think throwing people in jail for possession is just plain stupid. We need that jail space for REAL criminals.
I bet if everyone around the world would smoke a ***** at the same time, the world would have a couple of hours of world peace.

I agree. Watching my mother throw up, unable to eat, and constantly nauseous because of dialysis and her medications is really weighing on me. I cannot imagine how miserable she is. She cannot even enjoy a basic human need anymore.

Sure, they've prescribed all sorts of pills to help combat the nausea and vomiting. They either make her confused and unconscious, they don't do anything at all, or they give her tremors and Parkinson's type symptoms. I just wish there was something else that I could do for her, but unfortunately I don't live in a MMJ state.

Her doctor even tried to prescribe her the "pill" form, but the insurance wouldn't pay for it because she doesn't have cancer or AIDS. Why only cancer and AIDS patients can get it approved is beyond me. Renal failure and being on dialysis three times a week is just as bad as cancer, or AIDS, and just as deadly.

It's also a shame that so many people are ignorant to the loads of scientific data and research, which has been published in many peer reviewed journals btw, that clearly shows all the benefits of cannabis. I feel that it is just as legit when used as a medicine as any other.

As far as across the board full legalization goes, Idk how I feel about that yet, but I also think it is a total waste to lock someone up for years in prison for being busted with plants. I do think that people who are suffering should have access to what they need in order to feel better, no matter what that need might be.

The real problem in America is the resurgence and absolute explosion of heroin. It is an epidemic where I live and it doesn't seem like much is being done to combat it, other than locking people up. Maybe if TPTB would stop worrying about plants and worry more about heroin, an absolutely deadly and dirty, nasty drug, there would be some progress. And when I say worry, I don't mean lock those who abuse it up, but get them treatment and help they need, for as long as they need to kick it.

Just my 2 cents.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I decided to read this thread with open mind and then bring my own experiences into the equation. I understand that these extra revenues are welcome especially in a time when every job is needed. Contrary to what some people may think no "big time" drug dealer goes through the cycle of farming, moving and distributing it for marijuana so dont think you are funding the drug cartels by smoking some weed.
However bringing my own experiences into this i just dont think marijuana is a good idea is you actually care about anything. Starting off smoking a few joints quickly turns to be stoned everyday and not being able to sleep with a smoke. Also the main thing about this is it takes all of the fight out of you, the only way i can describe when i was smoking was not that i didnt care it was more i just couldnt be f*cked to care. Then my conspiracy mind kicks in questioning the motives for legalising it. Nothing better than legalising something that was against the law, everyone wants to try it. This in turn takes the fight out of people and nullifies the minds of the mass. This turns wanting to know the reasons why the government is waging war on countries and passing laws in order to take away the last few avenues for justice. And just in case you dont know what these laws are, you can ask the government....oh thats right they passed a law to prevent you knowing what law they are fu*king you with....so only question is if you have given up wanting to really stand up for your rights then get stoned and go lie in bed and eat the last biscuits in the cupboard....or you can sharpen your minds and educate yourselves against the very reality that will enslave us very soon.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: lovebeck

originally posted by: sled735

Well, I, for one, can't wait until it is legalized in my state. I need something for my aching, arthritic bones.

I think throwing people in jail for possession is just plain stupid. We need that jail space for REAL criminals.
I bet if everyone around the world would smoke a ***** at the same time, the world would have a couple of hours of world peace.

I agree. Watching my mother throw up, unable to eat, and constantly nauseous because of dialysis and her medications is really weighing on me. I cannot imagine how miserable she is. She cannot even enjoy a basic human need anymore.

Sure, they've prescribed all sorts of pills to help combat the nausea and vomiting. They either make her confused and unconscious, they don't do anything at all, or they give her tremors and Parkinson's type symptoms. I just wish there was something else that I could do for her, but unfortunately I don't live in a MMJ state.

Her doctor even tried to prescribe her the "pill" form, but the insurance wouldn't pay for it because she doesn't have cancer or AIDS. Why only cancer and AIDS patients can get it approved is beyond me. Renal failure and being on dialysis three times a week is just as bad as cancer, or AIDS, and just as deadly.

It's also a shame that so many people are ignorant to the loads of scientific data and research, which has been published in many peer reviewed journals btw, that clearly shows all the benefits of cannabis. I feel that it is just as legit when used as a medicine as any other.

As far as across the board full legalization goes, Idk how I feel about that yet, but I also think it is a total waste to lock someone up for years in prison for being busted with plants. I do think that people who are suffering should have access to what they need in order to feel better, no matter what that need might be.

The real problem in America is the resurgence and absolute explosion of heroin. It is an epidemic where I live and it doesn't seem like much is being done to combat it, other than locking people up. Maybe if TPTB would stop worrying about plants and worry more about heroin, an absolutely deadly and dirty, nasty drug, there would be some progress. And when I say worry, I don't mean lock those who abuse it up, but get them treatment and help they need, for as long as they need to kick it.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm sorry that your Mom is suffering and they won't even give her the pill form. My Mom takes both the pill form & marijuana but we live up in Canada. She's on fair-pharamacare & it pays for the pills. They aren't as effective as her using THC. My Mom has had Crohn's for 10yrs & she doesn't have a large intestine. She also has fibromyalgia. My Mom kept drinking when she was diagnosed with her illnesses & she didn't stop so that made things really bad. She's just about died 3 times & I know that marijuana has saved her life. Without she can't eat, the nausea is constant & the pain is intense. My Mom doesn't like using it but she can't deny the results.

I too use it for my 13 different symptoms (which could mean a disease but the doctors are still figuring it out) and holy crap is my life a million times better. Instead of sleeping 14hrs a day with the rest of the time spent laying on the couch, I can sleep 8-10hrs & have energy to go out for big walks or hikes. I can eat food (I have constant nausea) & the food I eat actually stays in my body to get digested. It also helps with constant headaches & my intestinal pains. I can actually have a functioning life because of marijuana

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: sooth
I've never understood why marijuana is illegal. Of course, I don't understand the flip side of it either - people that make the legalization of marijuana their life's work. It's just not an important issue in our current situation as a declining country.

Millions of people being imprisoned and having their futures seriously jeapordized for doing something completely harmless and potentially beneficial, and spending massive amounts of money to do it, while simultabeously losing much potential income, IS an important issue.
edit on 16-5-2014 by TheJourney because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   

edit on 16-5-2014 by 3u40r15m because: nxtPG

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join