It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3 Months Since Legalizing Marijuana, Here's What Colorado Looks Like

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: woogleuk
The amount of crap people post on Facebook supporting the damn stuff is unreal...

MJ cures cancer!
MJ cures the incurable!

It's a load of rubbish.

Ah, you read it on Facebook, Must be true.
Might as well close the thread.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: semperfortis

Semper,

You are arguing semantics. There is no presented medical evidence that the weed caused the problem. Edible forms of Marijuana are not just big slaps of pot sir. It's a brownie or a cookie or a million other things whipped together.

If done poorly, like anything else, yes you can get sick.

Will you be addressing the alcohol mention I made?

I already conceded that the use of MJ contributes to mental problems in young persons. There is an abundant amount of research regarding that.

In this case, the physician, presented nothing for evidence of his claims.

Allow me to explain why the doctor's argument is invalid.

In order to actually be sick, physically, from reactions to THC, you have to consume more of it than is actually possible.

These kids were treated for being *high* or for food poisoning as a result of POOR production. This is the same scenario that occurs with alcohol, which again, we aren't asking people to ban because a few kids die of alcohol related incidents every year.

Your facts, are actually not facts at all, you're simply taking what you've read, without further research or contemplation as fact. I'm trying to tell you that the whole story is not present and that regardless, it's a moot point because isolated incidents cannot be used to make blanket policy decisions.

~Tenth

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: DrMescalito

The National Cancer Institute Agrees.

There is an ever increasing mountain of research regarding cancer and it's treatment with the active components of MJ.

There is no denying that in these early studies we see great potential for cancer treatments.

~Tenth
edit on 5/16/2014 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Yes and he called it crap. He wrote more I decided to trim his quote.
edit on FriFri, 16 May 2014 12:07:52 -050005America/Chicago522014-05-16T12:07:52-05:00pmFriday0731 by DrMescalito because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: DrMescalito

I was agreeing with you

Actually for anybody interested my friend Rick Simpson has an amazing group called Phoenix Tears who dedicate a lot to research of medical benefits of MJ.

Report of the Cannabis Extract Science and Movement.

13 pages of sourced research. That's just the 1st part of it.

~Tenth

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Well, I, for one, can't wait until it is legalized in my state. I need something for my aching, arthritic bones.

I think throwing people in jail for possession is just plain stupid. We need that jail space for REAL criminals.
I bet if everyone around the world would smoke a ***** at the same time, the world would have a couple of hours of world peace.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

The key word is medical. That's a different ballgame now. The "for recreational use" dispensaries in Colorado are all cash only. If they were to find a bank willing to open an account for their business, one hundred percent of that money could be seized by the Feds and that bank would face losing their federally insured status and may even open themselves up to Federal prosecution.

A whole business line for security of the dispensaries has bloomed as the owners literally use safe houses to store money under heavy 24/7 security, both man power and electronic.

I mentioned it in another thread, but even us federal employees have been put on notice that vacations to Colorado are great, but it would be a poor choice to partake while there, as it is still a Federal crime and a violation of our oath of office and ethical standards of conduct.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Far worse things happen when children ingest their parents opioids, SSRIs, and even alcohol. Things dangerous to children must be locked up or not stored near children. That's parenting 101. You can't eliminate human carelessness with legislation.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: usernameconspiracy

Must suck to work for people who write laws they don't intend to obey themselves but compel you to. How many senators and congresspeople would pee dirty if ever we could procure samples? Though the rich still prefer other, more corrosive types of drugs.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: sled735

I think throwing people in jail for possession is just plain stupid. We need that jail space for REAL criminals.

In addition to stupidity, how do you feel about the morality of locking a peaceful person who is clearly no threat to his community in a cage? I think it's one of the most insulting and demeaning things you can do to a living creature, imprisoning it, so you had better be sure it is absolutely necessary to keeping your neighborhood safe.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   

What I have posted have been major studies done my major universities and actual experiences by medical professionals..

You have posted opinions...

Sorry but not equal..

As for the it is not as bad as alcohol argument... Ask yourself this...

Just because one harmful thing is legal and the other not, does that make it Okay to legalize both? Silly argument...

That is a school yard strawman argument.. "Well Tommy did it, I should be able to"

That is where the pro side fails miserably and the emotional investment comes in. Not discussing marijuana on it's own merits and comparing it to other failed societal ills...

The intellectually honest thing to do is admit it has problems and address those problems, NOT celebrate and sweep the problems under the rug as is being done here in spades...

1. Medical problems as listed
2. Abuse problems
3. Societal reparations paid by tax money (Cost of medical issues, rehab, psychological issues and treatment ETC)
4. Abuse enforcement tax money.. (DUI Testing Equipment ETC)

All of these are becoming more and more prevalent and more and more swept under the rug and not intellectually addressed by the emotionally invested pro crowd..

I have personally handled MANY crimes over obtaining marijuana as well as alcohol up to and including homicides so the answer is let's proliferate it.. Really?

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   

For the save money in the corrections area..

Marijuana and Who’s in Prison

Download this page

•A survey by the Bureau of Justice Statistics showed that 0.7% of all state inmates were behind bars for marijuana possession only (with many of them pleading down from more serious crimes).i

•In total, one tenth of one percent (0.1 percent) of all state prisoners were marijuana-possession offenders with no prior sentences.ii

SAM

Uh

No

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I am absolutely sick of people using drinking alcohol (or underage drinking) for comparison on this subject.
Is it just me, or is justifying a bad thing by saying "it's not as bad as XXX, so therefore it's a good thing" absolutely idiotic?

I mean on those lines of logic, robbing someone is not as bad as murdering them, so it must be a good thing, right?

Is legalizing marijuana a good thing? Of course not. No matter what, it impairs judgement, it alters the 'normal' state.
What's the point? Tax revenues? Come on...

It's all about a bunch of people who feel ENTITLED to do what they want.

Why stop here? How about if we all take hits of acid next week? I've never heard that acid or peyote are habit forming.
Why not legalize everything that isn't habit forming? Matter of fact, why not just legalize everything, and let people worry about their own darn habits?

Call me crazy, but I am sick and tired of the 'justification' for this. It just makes no sense.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   

1. Medical problems as listed

My 15 pages of research posted above show without a doubt that the benefits outweight the risks. I have already conceded, 3 times that your research was correct in that MJ effects developping brains.

Stop acting as if I haven't, that is intellectually dishonest.

2. Abuse problems

studies show only 12% of habitual users develop dependency. Moot point. Not an opinion, this is a fact. Also sourced in one of my previous posts.

3. Societal reparations paid by tax money (Cost of medical issues, rehab, psychological issues and treatment ETC)

Tax revenue plus reduced spending on incarceration, paperwork, arrests etc, also make this a moot point.

It pays for itself.

I have addressed every point you have made and conceded to your correct ones. You've effectively told me that I'm being intellectually dishonest by not arguing on MJ's merits.

That's all I have done. All my information in this thread is SOURCED. At that it is sourced to some of the best institutions that have been researching this for well over a decade.

Please forgive me being a little insulted at your insinuations of my character, while ignoring the information I have presented.

~Tenth

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: semperfortis

For the save money in the corrections area..

Marijuana and Who’s in Prison

Download this page

•A survey by the Bureau of Justice Statistics showed that 0.7% of all state inmates were behind bars for marijuana possession only (with many of them pleading down from more serious crimes).i

•In total, one tenth of one percent (0.1 percent) of all state prisoners were marijuana-possession offenders with no prior sentences.ii

SAM

Uh

No

Its still a stupid thing to jail someone for.

The logic of:
"Cannabis may harm you so we will harm you by jailing you" makes no sense!

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: sbreckley
I am absolutely sick of people using drinking alcohol (or underage drinking) for comparison on this subject.
Is it just me, or is justifying a bad thing by saying "it's not as bad as XXX, so therefore it's a good thing" absolutely idiotic?

I mean on those lines of logic, robbing someone is not as bad as murdering them, so it must be a good thing, right?

Is legalizing marijuana a good thing? Of course not. No matter what, it impairs judgement, it alters the 'normal' state.
What's the point? Tax revenues? Come on...

It's all about a bunch of people who feel ENTITLED to do what they want.

Why stop here? How about if we all take hits of acid next week? I've never heard that acid or peyote are habit forming.
Why not legalize everything that isn't habit forming? Matter of fact, why not just legalize everything, and let people worry about their own darn habits?

Call me crazy, but I am sick and tired of the 'justification' for this. It just makes no sense.

Why not legalese?

What the point of jailing some for doing something personal to them?

As someone else said if someone is stupid enough to drink drain cleaner then so what? Its there health.
edit on 16-5-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   

NO NO NO

Never intended to address YOUR character my friend.... I apologize for ANY and ALL affronts...

I was referencing the majority of the pro crowd and I think we have a little misunderstanding

I have no issue with MEDICAL Marijuana....

Just recreational use and the dangers involved..

(12% is HUGE by the way)

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Current evidence supports that cannabis is a 'component cause' of chronic psychosis, meaning although neither necessary nor sufficient, cannabis use at a young age increases the likelihood of developing schizophrenia or other psychotic disorders.

I work in psychiatry, you will lose this argument all day every day.
Basically what this means is that MJ use is not sufficient by itself to cause psychosis/schizophrenia .. but there are people who have risk factors who would NOT become psychotic/schizo but for the fact they used MJ.
medicalmarijuana.procon.org...

Cannabis use in daily life was associated with subsequent increases in hallucinatory experiences, in particular auditory hallucinations. Patients with a psychotic disorder [such as schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder] were more sensitive to the hallucinogenic effects of cannabis than healthy controls... The data suggest that the positive effects of cannabis on mood are acute [occurring in the short term] whereas its association with psychotic experiences is sub-acute [occurring in the longer term]."

Long-Term.
medicalmarijuana.procon.org...

I know I'm late to this thread, but I can't deal with this one.

So a guy with psychosis smoked weed, and did something crazy, and you are telling me it's weeds fault.

A crazy guy gets a gun, kills people, says the gun spoke to him telepathically, the gun must have done something to make him believe it had telepathic powers.....right? totally the guns fault....had nothing to do with the psychosis.

I'll agree that psychotic people shouldn't do any drugs, but the rest of us become pretty friendly, I've had many run ins with weed over the years, if it was going to give me a murderous trip it would have happened by now.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   

So does that mean you think alcohol should be illegal then? If you are consistent you should answer yes.

edit on 16-5-2014 by JimTSpock because: typo

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: semperfortis

What do you have to say about the for profit prisons being populated by non violent people for the sole purpose of making somebody rich? When people say the drug was has failed, they are wrong. The drug war was not intended to stop the use of drugs, it was intended to get a lot of old white men very very rich. And why should adult, intelligent men be told they can't cultivate a non hazardous plant in the country that attempts to brainwash its population into believing they reside in the "Land of the Free, Home of the Brave." It is us, the truly brave, who continue to fight for our freedoms as moral, intelligent men with no regard for the evil legislation coming from the United States lawmakers, who clearly are not concerned about the health and well-being of the American people. Look at all of the poisonous chemicals that the FDA, USDA, EPA allow into our food and water supplies. And plastic is causing more harm to the earth and its inhabitants; more deaths than thc will ever cause, only they're not human so nobody cares. shameful
edit on 16-5-2014 by centhwevir1979 because: bad touchpad

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join