It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sudan woman faces death for apostasy

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on May, 15 2014 @ 06:30 AM
link   

A Sudanese court has sentenced a woman to hang for apostasy after she left Islam and married a Christian man.

"We gave you three days to recant but you insist on not returning to Islam. I sentence you to be hanged to death," the judge told the woman, AFP reports.

The judge also sentenced her to 100 lashes after convicting her of adultery - because her marriage to a Christian man was not valid under Islamic law.

She is said to be eight months' pregnant.

Sudan woman faces death for apostasy

However, in a show of mercy because of the pregnancy, the judge has delayed the hanging for two years. WTF? How jolly kind of him.

Thank goodness Islam is the religion of peace, imagine what it would be like if it wasn't...

You would have thought that after all the bad crap that gets thrown at Islam, they would have learned how to keep their house in order, but alas no.

I'd be interested to hear a Muslim's opinion on this.

edit on 15-5-2014 by MarsIsRed because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 06:38 AM
link   
a reply to: MarsIsRed

Take note all this is what you get when you have a theocracy.
Be it Muslim/ Christian or any religion theocracy's are wrong and I hope the USA never becomes one.
I hope somehow the couple and child can flee that horrid place.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 06:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
Take note all this is what you get when you have a theocracy.

Yep. Modern secular rule of law is the only common sense law.
When people start up with theocracy ... bad things happen. A lot of bad things.
It's like a cancer on humanity.

edit on 5/15/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on May, 15 2014 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Where's that dude who's always trying to tell us Islam is better than Christianity now?

A Christian converting to Islam is like 'M'ehh, more the fool you'
A Muslim converting to Christianity is like 'Death to the traitor'

I know which side of the fence I'd rather reside on.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 07:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: markosity1973
A Christian converting to Islam is like 'M'ehh, more the fool you'
A Muslim converting to Christianity is like 'Death to the traitor'

When you have to keep people in your religion with threats of death, you know that religion is sick. I'm often critical of christianity, but in comparison to islam it almost seems good.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Not sure about your side of fence, but to me both sides are the same, if given a chance...

Once education kick with future kids, we might abolish all this bad things religion and theology has done to world... from taking people's right to marry who they want to disregarding of science, which is kind of scary...

I hope this women runs away from there and moves into some religion-free country... and far away from religion nuts...

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 07:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarsIsRed
When you have to keep people in your religion with threats of death, you know that religion is sick. I'm often critical of christianity, but in comparison to islam it almost seems good.

This is something people here in the West need to keep in mind. I was talking to my Atheist partner about this just the other day;

I've got no problem with non believers, but when they push the envelope and try and move our nations away from Christianity, they are simply creating a void that this vile religion, Islam is eager, willing and already pushing to fill.

As this and many other gross abuses of human rights by nations under Sharia law proves, Islam is just a license to act like a pig toward fellow humans. I personally would rather be shouted at for being gay by a Christian than lashed and hung by a Muslim if I had to choose between the two.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 07:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: SuperFrog
Not sure about your side of fence, but to me both sides are the same, if given a chance...

Once education kick with future kids, we might abolish all this bad things religion and theology has done to world... from taking people's right to marry who they want to disregarding of science, which is kind of scary...

I hope this women runs away from there and moves into some religion-free country... and far away from religion nuts...

A quick and honest fact for you; Religion will never die off completely. There is a primal need in many of us to believe in a higher power.

No, Christianity is not perfect, but the alternative (Islam) is much worse.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Thank goodness Islam is the religion of peace, imagine what it would be like if it wasn't…

That wasn't called for. In a way you just did the same thing that judge did. Singling out errant behavior on religions part is as pertinent as the Inquisition or the Roman Catholics control over most of the European continent during the Dark Ages. How many were burned at the stake (with no stay) in the name of religion then?

How may are bombed to dust today for the very same reasons you just cited, using misguided judgments by a few to condemn a whole people to death? They don't even get a hearing, just a drone strike.
edit on 15-5-2014 by intrptr because: BB code

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

Like most things, education is the best cure for this disease. Unfortunately, the more militant Islamic regimes know this - this is why they do everything in their power to stop their children being educated, especially the girls. Heck, Boko Haram means 'western education is sin'. Which basically means education is sin.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 07:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

That wasn't called for. In a way you just did the same thing that judge did. Singling out errant behavior on religions part...

I'm not sure that I would describe an entire countries legal system as "errant behaviour".

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 07:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarsIsRed

Like most things, education is the best cure for this disease. Unfortunately, the more militant Islamic regimes know this - this is why they do everything in their power to stop their children being educated, especially the girls. Heck, Boko Haram means 'western education is sin'. Which basically means education is sin.

Exactly, here in the West, we've educated ourselves out of these barbaric ways. Islam does not want to be educated in these godforesaken countries.

There seems to be a parallel to ancient Roman society and the uneducated northern european tribes who ultimately sacked Rome going on with the West and Islam. I hope people have read their history books so we don't go down the same road as the Romans did.......

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 07:38 AM
link   
All religions keep you confined in a single mind frame, devout acceptance of anything is just ignorant when we literally know nothing about the universe we live in & are created by.

I feel sorry for the Lady and her family, but my feelings don't matter to a country I don't live in.

All these people saying Islam is trying to change the way us westerners live, the reality is that its pretty evident that Islam, Christianity & Jews are all imposing their ideologies upon each other, not just Islam.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Incidentally, I'm well aware that these acts don't necessarily represent all of Islam. But, and it's a big BUT, Islam itself should actively and vocally dissociate itself with such acts, yet it chooses not to - it always seems to stay very quiet and shuffle around in the background, almost lending credence to these sick acts. As I said in my first post "You would have thought that after all the bad crap that gets thrown at Islam, they would have learned how to keep their house in order, but alas no."

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 07:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: n00bUK
All religions keep you confined in a single mind frame, devout acceptance of anything is just ignorant when we literally know nothing about the universe we live in & are created by.

Being both openly gay and Catholic (Yep, that's TWO things you can hate me for
) I disagree.

I love science, I love new discoveries, I love to explore. Try and tell me that God does not exist and I must stop believing and I'll say 'that's nice, make sure you make the most your short existence'

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   

I get the impression that you've a well balanced stance on religion; one the doesn't exclude science and learning. In Sudan there is no balance - it fact it's so skewed I really can't get my western mind around it.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Being both openly gay and Catholic (Yep, that's TWO things you can hate me for
) I disagree.

I love science, I love new discoveries, I love to explore. Try and tell me that God does not exist and I must stop believing and I'll say 'that's nice, make sure you make the most your short existence'

I believe in God, not fairy tales mate.

Religion is man made, which ever one you choose to follow.

Also mate, that's the second time you have said you're gay..Nobody cares stop chucking it in peoples faces...damn.

Maybe change your pic to a big rainbow coloured Bible with a bum hole and love heart at the bottom so you don't have to keep telling everybody.
edit on 15-5-2014 by n00bUK because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Heck, Boko Haram means 'western education is sin'. Which basically means education is sin.

That is a loose translation. It can also be translated as "bogus education is sinful".

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   

A quick and honest fact for you; Religion will never die off completely. There is a primal need in many of us to believe in a higher power.

No, Christianity is not perfect, but the alternative (Islam) is much worse.

Yep, Christianity is great example of tolerance and best alternative to Islam... really? Don't you think that you are a bit biased when you make a statement like that.

There are many primal needs people have, but we learn how to control them and how to live with or without them.

You can't be serious to promote religion that is unable to accept fact that evolution is not mere hypothesis, but rather fact proven theory.

As for Islam, I am not defending it either, IMHO world would be better place without those 2 religions, and some posts here just show what really 'inter-religion tolerance' really mean and what kind of phobia is created - to prevent 'other one from gaining ground'... This kind of phobia lead us in Crusades back in past...

PS. Never say - never.
Just look at how far we got since we got religion under control... where would we as specie be if that happened before dark ages?!
edit on 15-5-2014 by SuperFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   

I believe in God, not fairy tales mate.

Religion is man made, which ever one you choose to follow.

As long as you are at peace with your beliefs, then good for you

One thing one learns when having to reconcile religion and their sexuality is that being at peace with yourself, God whomever you perceive he / she / it to be and your fellow man is all that matters.

Islam however is invasive, threatening and seeks to take us back to the dark ages where only fear and ignorance reigned.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join