It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IBM unveils a computer that can argue

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 11:46 PM
link   
maybe 'argue' is the wrong word. Maybe 'reason' is a better word. Now I am sure you can see the point of that?

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 01:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: PhoenixOD
Whats the point of spending money to make a machine that can argue?

What does humanity do when they go on the internet..... argue.

There is your answer.

Welcome to the digital trolling age.

edit on 16-5-2014 by TinfoilTP because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 01:27 AM
link   
A computer program can only be as intelligent as its programmer.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 01:47 AM
link   
PCs I have owned and built over the years can argue in their own way. If they don't like something or just feel like it they crash, freeze, lock up, display cryptic error messages, don't feel like running a program, say I need this installed to install that and run this. Screw you I think I'll just reboot myself. lol.
Most of the time my PC is good but I've seen computers do some pretty weird things. Skynet is only a matter of time. I can see it now. 'Bill what is it doing now?' 'Ahh I don't know sir it's not supposed to do that'.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 01:48 AM
link   
I know thinking in a worse case scenario might be the main theme here on ATS.

But what if one day we do have a machine tell us we are all stupid, aggressive, biased, racist, self entitled morons. And forces pacifism and minimalism on us.

I would say most purely logical robots would automatically deduce we are the earths main problem.

Anyone going to debate that and win.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: thedeadtruth
I know thinking in a worse case scenario might be the main theme here on ATS.

But what if one day we do have a machine tell us we are all stupid, aggressive, biased, racist, self entitled morons. And forces pacifism and minimalism on us.

I would say most purely logical robots would automatically deduce we are the earths main problem.

Anyone going to debate that and win.

That would be easy to win, pull the plug.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhoenixOD
Considering the 3 robotic laws

1 A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

2 A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

3 A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Whats the point of spending money to make a machine that can argue?

Those are Asimov's "robotic laws".

Even if programmed initially into it, then programmed to argue...it would/could give a perfectly good reason to disregard Asimov. (ie. he wrote fiction....) and those "laws" were meant for his books.
...which usually went awry because the robot didn't follow those rules anyway.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 01:01 AM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

You may not be in a position to pull the plug.

There are people who want computers in charge. These people already know we and our planet are dead without a purely logical / ruthless intervention.

Machines will not kill all of us. They need us for their own survival / maintenance. But those who threaten their survival by threatening mankind's survival, will simply be removed.

Are people scared of computers that can argue, or the truth.

Mother nature and science have one thing in common. They do not have opinions.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 01:11 AM
link   

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 01:13 AM
link   
a reply to: thedeadtruth

Machines will not kill all of us. They need us for their own survival / maintenance. But those who threaten their survival by threatening mankind's survival, will simply be removed.

Are people scared of computers that can argue, or the truth.

Mother nature and science have one thing in common. They do not have opinions.

Exactly. for one, who will go out on oil rigs and into the mines to provide them power? I'm not an advocate for dirty energy, but I think you get my point.

Not sure though, if they would give a crap (if a machine can) if somebody doesn't feed their needs as long as they are non-threats.

Maybe I am too into the "Machine --or her" from Person of Interest, but the show does show a nice (?) dichotomy of something designed to evolve with a set of guides (call them programmed fail-safes, morals, what have you) and something without any guidelines besides destroy whatever is "deviant">

Ok like I said, well hell the season finale of PoI was just a few days ago and it truly made me think about this.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 01:23 AM
link   
My concern is that relative time and hope may not be a part of any computers " decision"

I mean I often think mankind if doomed on a daily basis. And if I had a history eraser button handy... well who knows...

It is mainly hope beyond reason that makes me think we might one day be worth saving.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 01:25 AM
link   
a reply to: tsingtao

Leave it alone. Or it might get payback one day.

" but your honor, I was only cleaning the keyboard "... Yea right. Off we go to the mines on planet X....

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 01:38 AM
link   

It is mainly hope beyond reason that makes me think we might one day be worth saving

Is that from you or a quote?

If that's from you, hell man that's awesome.....great quote if it's not from you but....Sorry I have to know.

i am curious by nature--bugs some, not others--either way I dig it.
edit on 5/17/2014 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 01:40 AM
link   
It is from me.

As a mortician I have a slightly pragmatic view of life / death. Not a big fan of humans in general.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 01:44 AM
link   
www.youtube.com...
edit on 11/19/09 by thedeadtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Well, to be honest, I know a mortician.

I grew up with this guy in HS. and lower and a few years in college.

For me --my stomach --just (very most probably) can't take it.

I've seen some vids form him and I had to walk out.

But man..Props.

It takes a a person that lives their views/opinions/whatever to be able to do what others cannot.
It's necessary .

Can't say I wish I was you, because I'd be puking all day, but man, I glad You are You.

(wow that kinda sounds corny.) Could a virtual cigarette smoke break fill in for the

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Ok, man, the edit thing just isn't working for me right now......are you M R married to I R??
edit on 5/17/2014 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 01:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Chamberf=6

are you T R married to I R??

Sorry. Didn't understand question.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Sorry I thought you might have been someone I know that might also be on this site......BTW I edited post above.

Just using initials.

If I'm I'm wrong, sorry.
edit on 5/17/2014 by Chamberf=6 because: sp

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 02:03 AM
link   
My name .... Lloyd Shaw , live in Auckland .N.Z.

Living the dream.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join