It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IBM unveils a computer that can argue

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   

IBM (IBM) has been a leader in developing artificial intelligence systems such as the Watson supercomputer

And now Big Blue has taken Watson technology one step further with a system that can form logical arguments for or against a complex issue--rather than just answering questions

Medical researchers could use its services to get a big head start when they’re trying to find cures and treatments for diseases. Its ability to summarize terabytes of data in ways that are logical to humans could allow it to summarize all the research that’s been done on a given disease, while also identifying new and unexplored avenues of inquiry that could yield promising discoveries. The same goes for legal research, military intelligence and many types of science and technology.

The next step will be adding visual capability to such a machine, so it can see what’s going on around it and add images to its databases and reasoning power.

Source

The future is getting closer and closer. This is a HUGE step in advancing AI technology. We've essentially just given computers the beginnings of the ability to think on their own.
edit on 5/13/2014 by trollz because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

lol
its the slow roll out of the computer that fights and kills you
or as we have seen with drones:
just kills you.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   
It's the perfect politician, with the teleprompter built inside.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   

I say put it on 4chan and let her rip.
the results would be interesting.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   

its the slow roll out of the computer that fights and kills you - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...
a reply to: Danbones

Since it's legal for LEO's to execute you on a discretionary basis at the point of contact, it's not a stretch to envision drones taking over that role in the US "justice" system. LEO's are proven to be incompetent, expensive and prone to rely on the reptilian brain when authority is challenged.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   
First its arguing, next it gets up, walks out, and begins world domination. Hellooooo skynet!

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Sometimes I suspect the end result of all this will be us re-creating the very gods we claim abandoned us.

Humans want to be nurtured and, at the same time, be fiercely independent. Creating your own gods to be the eventual stewards of humanity seem like the instinctual goal that we aren't even consciously aware of.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass
star for that pic
lol
you heard about the robot that runs on scavenged protein?

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   
WifeBot 9000 just got an upgrade.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Sheesh this isn't new, I have been married to her for years.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I found one that argues like a liberal:

By the way, I can't see vids at work so hopefully this embedded. I'm flying blind.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
This reminds me of "Jane" from Orson Scott Card's books "Speaker for the Dead" and "Xenocide".

Imagine having a Bluetooth ear piece that was connected to an AI, and that AI had access to anything connected to the internet...

Wearable ear pieces are going to be the next big thing...discrete, helpful, and they don't look dorky and alarm people like google glass does.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I`m an IT and I can safely say, I`ve known that for some time...

Stupid computers have always been arguing and not doing what they are programmed to do!

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Interesting .. but no thanks already have 13 ex wives that like to argue dont need a machine to argue with ..

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Expat888
sigh, hopefully they don't make the off switch redundant

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
With my luck the bloody machine would just reboot and be twice as annoying ..

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Expat888
Interesting .. but no thanks already have 13 ex wives that like to argue dont need a machine to argue with ..

Holy masochist, Batman!
edit on 5/13/2014 by Chamberf=6 because: oops

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
When the humans give such artificial intelligence curiosity that is when everything will change.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Considering the 3 robotic laws

1 A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

2 A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

3 A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Whats the point of spending money to make a machine that can argue?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join